Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question to the 'make do's in the gang ... generic

What's the temporary Okie belt dressing solution? :Flame:Yeah, I know, I know, but this is for the Barbie Jeep (Tracker) which has the most redick-u-less accessory belt adjustment I have ever seen. I'll get the belts replaced and adjusted next oil change, in the meantime I've GOT to kill the pig living under the hood.

I Suggest you to Change those Belts for ones a Tiny Bit Shorter... it did Work for my Subies.

I Know That Your Jeep isn´t a Subie, but Shorter Belts Prevents from get ´em Loose too Easy. Shorter Belts are more Difficult to install Too... I Had to use a Screwdriver, Forcin´ a Li´l Bit the Belt to Slip the Pulleys...

Along with That, I Use Security Lockin´ Washers on the Adjustment Pulley.

I Dunno if it can be Applied to a Different Belt Systems, such as the Wider ones, but I Hope this Idea should Help you. :burnout:

I Suggest you to Change those Belts for ones a Tiny Bit Shorter... it did Work for my Subies.

I Know That Your Jeep isn´t a Subie, but Shorter Belts Prevents from get ´em Loose too Easy. Shorter Belts are more Difficult to install Too... I Had to use a Screwdriver, Forcin´ a Li´l Bit the Belt to Slip the Pulleys...

Along with That, I Use Security Lockin´ Washers on the Adjustment Pulley.

I Dunno if it can be Applied to a Different Belt Systems, such as the Wider ones, but I Hope this Idea should Help you. :burnout:

All the adjustments are frozen and under a lot of stuff on top of the front driveshaft. I'll let Mr. Badwrench fix it. What I'm looking for now is the 'wipe 'em with brake fluid' or whatever to stop the squeal for the next thousand miles until it's dure for an oil/filter change and I'll get the new belts then.

be very careful, but use a peace of sandbpaper on the contact side of the belt to remove glazing, rhold it gently to the side fof the belt while the engine is running, be very careful, i don't want to read about someone losing a finger to my advice

be very careful, but use a peace of sandbpaper on the contact side of the belt to remove glazing, rhold it gently to the side fof the belt while the engine is running, be very careful, i don't want to read about someone losing a finger to my advice

Wow.....all this time and I NEVER thought of doing this!:banana:

Thanks!:clap:

Funny thing, I was talking to my aviation mechanic durning my lunch (airport bum break), and he suggested the same thing, except not running. He about choked when I said, hmmm Il do it while it's idling.

Actually, I'll glue some course sandpaper on a paint stir stick and keep my fingers out of the 'loop'.

Rubber cement keeps the drills turning here in the shop. Old flat leather belt jobbies, but tack is tack. I also like the deglazing w/ sandpaper idea... Watch those fingers! Be careful not to "jam" the belt w/ your stir stick (or fingers!) or you may break the belt right there! Good Luck!

...Watch those fingers! Be careful not to "jam" the belt w/ your stir stick (or fingers!) or you may break the belt right there! ...

Or the Neck!

... Just for Info, Long time Ago, I went to a Job Interview, I was Wearin´ a Tie when the Old Craptachi carb did loose the Idle... My subie was Dyin´ at any Traffic Lights (Semaphores) so, I pulled it aside on the Street, and with a Screwdriver I was Tryin´ to Adjust Idle to a Higher Rpm´s ... my Tie went to the Belts and inmediately did "Suck" my Head soo fast... :eek: ...

I just Grabbed the Tie untill the Pulleys & the Belts did cutted it... What a Scary Situation... and Very Ridiculous too... :-\

Other Cars´ People was Laughin´ and I Was soo Greasy, with a Half Tie...

Well... I Didn´t Have much time, so I Just Removed my Tie and went to That Interview like that... Greasy...

Be Careful ALWAYS you work near to a Runnin´ Engine. :burnout:

Or the Neck!

... Just for Info, Long time Ago, I went to a Job Interview, I was Wearin´ a Tie when the Old Craptachi carb did loose the Idle... My subie was Dyin´ at any Traffic Lights (Semaphores) so, I pulled it aside on the Street, and with a Screwdriver I was Tryin´ to Adjust Idle to a Higher Rpm´s ... my Tie went to the Belts and inmediately did "Suck" my Head soo fast... :eek: ...

I just Grabbed the Tie untill the Pulleys & the Belts did cutted it... What a Scary Situation... and Very Ridiculous too... :-\

Other Cars´ People was Laughin´ and I Was soo Greasy, with a Half Tie...

Well... I Didn´t Have much time, so I Just Removed my Tie and went to That Interview like that... Greasy...

Be Careful ALWAYS you work near to a Runnin´ Engine. :burnout:

Did you get the job? To me, as an interviewer, that would show you to be a remarkably resourceful person (even if you are a little absent-minded :lol:)

GOOD IDEAS in this thread here!! File these away for future reference...

I've sanded belts before. Get a full sheet of 60 grit, cut a strip off the long way, cover the backside in duct tape, and loop it under the belt. Have a friend start the car, and holding it only with the tips of your fingers, work the 3 sides of the belt. This is assuming it's a v-belt, not a serpentine.

Another thing to try is pumice hand cleaner. I've slathered that on, and it shut up for a bit after some initial squeeling.