Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mouse/Rodent protection ideas welcome -Storage solution

Rodents DO make for awesome little pets. Thats a nice rat there, GD.

this is a fun thought exercise, honestly. rodents don't "do" cars down here.. the insides get too hot even in winter. So this is all purely theoretical stuff for me.. I mean, you know MY car and its associated rust, right? I used to deliver pizzas, and the only time I ever had any animal in the car whatsoever it was a nosy cat after a sausage and chicken pie, and I had left the windows down.

THAT was an interesting experience, let me tell you.. black cat doing circles around inside a car, AT NIGHT, with me and my buddy just sitting down in it.. I dont know how our faces didn't get scratched all to hell :lol:

Rodents DO make for awesome little pets. Thats a nice rat there, GD.

The GF's landlord doesn't do dogs or I suspect I would have a dachshund :rolleyes:... or were it my choice possibly a basset hound. But the rats are definately the most superior in the pocket-pet world. Amazingly intelligent for their size - they can learn virtually anything a dog can - even running obstacle courses and acknowleding their own name. Few people realize that because of their small size, extreemely prolific breeding habits, and docile nature they have been domesticated by the labaoratory and science community so as to be "easy" to work with. When you can breed a new generation every 2 months it's easy to use them for medical research. The only drawback as pets is they have a short life-span of around 2 years - but at least replacements are cheap :lol:

GD

The GF's landlord doesn't do dogs or I suspect I would have a dachshund :rolleyes:... or were it my choice possibly a basset hound. But the rats are definately the most superior in the pocket-pet world. Amazingly intelligent for their size - they can learn virtually anything a dog can - even running obstacle courses and acknowleding their own name. Few people realize that because of their small size, extreemely prolific breeding habits, and docile nature they have been domesticated by the labaoratory and science community so as to be "easy" to work with. When you can breed a new generation every 2 months it's easy to use them for medical research. The only drawback as pets is they have a short life-span of around 2 years - but at least replacements are cheap :lol:

GD

To quote the great Kurt Vonnegut, so it goes.

Dachshunds are about my favorite breed of little dog.. I am more of a labrador/shepherd dog type of person. I've met so many dogs of so many different breeds and mixes, that I've got rather rigid stereotypes about different breeds, and most of them are good stereotypes. Don't get me started on yorkies and the like though... dogs arent toys, they are friends and tools.

I've always wanted a rat named Algernon. Two points for anyone who catches the reference in that one.

you don't exactly need to do the wire mesh thing. a ways down the road, this will keep pine-needles out of your ducts and such, but a rodent can still chew thru the mesh. it would just be wise to close all the flaps, like the one that leads to the heater core (i had a mouse in mine along with a pound of bird seeds).

urban legen- rodents don't like the smell of oleander (a plant).

i bought some (don't remember where) and put it in the mole holes outside. no more mole problems. :banana:

not sure if it works for rats/mice tho.

hope that helps.

Might want to get some "Dry-Z-Air" stuff, they sell it and "DampRid" (same thing) at Home Depot, and most RV/Boat stores, it's a little bucket and you fill the top part with these pellets, and it absorbs water out of the air, they're under 10 bucks and one would be plenty for the car, definately helps keep from growing a mold farm!

Last time I was at Home Commiepot, the "Damp Rid" things were like 5 bucks, they work great!

Thanks guys.As of May it'll be indoors.Not sure if you read some of the later posts.

Going to keep the car by the door and get working on it after the third weekend of May.Should be plenty of other places for mice to hang out besides my car.It's a block bldg.,dry,no smell of mold or moisture.

Might use some cheap products as mentioned for peace of mind.Should be a lot better than having to park it over grass or near a field,woods,etc..

I shall bump it anyway.. because I had a thought.

It seems as though the consensus is that if you do not have a cat already, getting one for this purpose is probably a greater length than most people would go to... but what about keeping a snake in the car?

:lol: