Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mouse/Rodent protection ideas welcome -Storage solution

We'll be tucking away my '87 turbo wagon and would like suggestions of known preventatives for keeping the little critters out of the car while it sits.

My first thoughts were to attempt to seal over the vent holes and firewall passages with foil duct tape.I guess the shifter area and parking brake holes too.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Storage should be fairly short term.Hoping for over-pavement storage,but it might come to sitting under a temp-garage (pole and skin type) built over a field.:-\ At that point I might as well wizz in the car myself.:-\

Hopefully by summer's end we'll be in a house with a garage and I'll be able to work on this beauty of a car.

Just a damn shame nobody wants this perfect body right now for such a low price,but that's life.I don't want to bother with eBay,etc. and it's getting too late anyways,so storage is the way it seems to be going.

Your best bet is to cover the holes as you are planning. If they can't get in initially they probably won't try - although a determined rodent will make short (maybe a couple minutes) work of foil tape, cardboard, plastic or any other soft material.

I and my GF have rats as pets and I can tell you that there is nothing they can't chew or won't eat or nest with given a chance. Only way to stop them would be to poison them, but then you have dead carcasses AND nests inside the duct work. I know of nothing that will scare away rodents other than a bowl of cat food and the biggest, meanest tabby you can locate to stand guard over the car. Get a nice outdoor dog/cat house complete with food, water and big mean farm cat.

GD

This old ghetto detailer I knew told me his secret for keeping an idle car fresh and "rodent-free".

Just throw a bar of Irish Spring under the seat. It'll keep the car smelling great, and apparently, the strong scent keeps the mice away.

I like the idea of sealing up any holes, though. Besides checking all the obvious knockouts stamped in the unibody, you might want to shoot some expanding foam into the backside of the RQ's, wheel arches, and rockers.

good luck, John

They will still eat through the plastic housing on wires and rubber hoses inside or out.

Some Decon inside will at least keep them from running amok. However dead mice in the car is not much fun either.

Close all heat/duct vents. You don't want them setting up camp in the dash.

Crack a window so the flys can get OUT!

Best case is to have someone start it ocasionally and drive it too?

If you take off the black plastic covers at the base of the windshield, you can access the air inlets for the vent system. If you look on both sides of this cavity, you will see holes through the body into the quarter panel area. These holes have a bit of expaneded metal welded over them at the factory, but it doesn't cover the whole hole. JB weld some heavy wire mesh over that, and you should solve the problem. My mice are always on the outside side of the A/C evaporator. and I have found acorns and whatnot in the frame horns that run under the top of the quarter panels, so that's my best geuss of where they're getting in.

Thanks guys.But I should mention a couple of things.

1-the car has a toasted headgasket and the battery has gone weak so between needing to jump it/charge it,and the H/G I doubt I'm going to get to start it up.I'm too busy and won't be having anyone who will help me.

2-I will be storing the car elsewhere so cats are out of the question.We live in a highrise and aren't about to go getting cats and driving to feed them at a storage place,etc.

We're city folks with jobs and kids,and the car might be up at WagonsOnly's friend's house way the heck up in Mass a chew zits....won't even bother visiting the car.Just need to store it and retrieve it when we get our house.Or,the car might be about 10 minutes away in a cinderblock bldg. which I might be renting soon.I still won't get a cat for it,sorry.And we'll have our family items,etc. stored along with it and no ventilation.As much as some of you would love to see me dead I'm not starting the car in this guy's building.

To me,a cat would only chase the mice into the car.And I'm not about to let a cat stay in this car.No friggin way.

Sure the rodents will eat through foil tape.But what about foil tape with poison on the outer side??

Maybe this whole process might not even be worth the effort,I don't know.The body of this car is perfect.The interior is excellent too.Half of me wants to get rid of this headache but the other half says its a weekend away from being one awsome,and now rare car for the northeast.

:confused:

Keep 'em coming,please.

Mothballs? Aromatic cedar?? Some type of putty??(for the smaller holes)

Probably stuffing some of my old socks in passages would wipe them out.:lol:

maybe try one of those ultrasonic pest repellers?????

I worked at a vet hospital once that was in a VERY old building. We had a HUGE roof-rat problem, over the course of one summer we had to remove ALL pet food from the hospital that want held in a metal can, and we had exterminators trap and remove over 120 rats from the building.

THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP THEM OUT IS WIRE MESH. period.

If you are getting a storage unit for it, then I would concentrate on keeping them out of the storage unit. if its in a building, then theyve got plenty of other shelter to hole up in. Try getting some bait traps that use Diatomaceous earth.. that is dirt full of these tiny (dead) one celled organisms that dry up and turn into basically this tiny thorny cell.. and when the rats eat it, it cuts into their insides and dries them out, eliminating stink.. if they eat that, even if they crawl into your car and die they shouldnt stink too badly.

I would resolve yourself to having to check it all out when time comes to get back into the car, and do your best to keep them out of your storage unit.

DON'T use poison! It doesn't work very fast so they will crawl into the car and then die inside the duct work. It's also extreemely inhumane - it's basically a really powerful anti-coagulant. Takes days before they even show signs of illness, and then they bleed to death internally. Really not appropriate for your situation anyway. They make all the commonly availible poisons this way intentionally in case a pet dog or cat should accidentally eat it - there is a common antidote to the stuff (vitamin K actually), and it gives them time to administer it.

GD

:rolleyes: In theory there is a tupperware container for everything, mabe they have one for a car :clap:

nipper

Nipper is dead on....actually it's called something like Car Capsule?

My freind's dad has one that his recently restored '52 MGTD sits in.

128Jack_Szepessy_s_1952_MG_TD_etc_007.jpg

Capsule not shown here,but you drive in and zip it up over it......etc...has small fan to cycle the air...etc.

BUT....I'm not renting electricity if I take the building space.And if it goes into the field temp. garage,there's certainly no power there either...and for all I know the critters would eat through that plastic as well.

Ok,so maybe I won't go with poison.

Not much time to play the game here.No time for making wire mesh hole covers,although it sounds great in theory.Hmmm....maybe lay a huge piece of w/m on the floor and bend it up.Have a cloth cover over the car and tape shut the top edge of the w/m along the sides of the car?That wouldn't take too long at all.

Keep 'em coming,please. I need this car out of here like .....today! But I'm pushing the limits.Might come home and find the car towed away if I don't be careful.Registration just expired a couple of days ago.No more plates to play with.

Thanks again for all of your contributions.

If ti comes with a fan, wind out how much flow the fan is. Then get a 12 volt computer fan, a 12 volt battery, and a small solar panel to keep the battery chanrged.

Just a thought.

nipper

Sounds like an idea to consider.Going to look at the block bldg. rental space tomorrow.Not sure what I'll have for light/window access.

Thanks again.

Not much time to play the game here.No time for making wire mesh hole covers,although it sounds great in theory.Hmmm....maybe lay a huge piece of w/m on the floor and bend it up.Have a cloth cover over the car and tape shut the top edge of the w/m along the sides of the car?That wouldn't take too long at all.

I wasnt speaking of poison, I was speaking of diatomaceous earth. It kills them, fairly rapidly, of dehydration, and that eliminates odor.

And if you put a wire mesh bottom, and a cloth top on it, whats to stop the rats from just, climbing up to the cloth and chewing through that? You would need to basically wrap your car in a complete cage of chicken wire (FINE chicken wire, like 1/4 inch mesh) and put the cover on it solely to protect the car from the mesh. That doesn't seem like too bad an idea, actually.... if you can deal with paying for all that chicken wire. Just build a cage for your car to keep the rats out!!!!!!

I wasnt speaking of poison, I was speaking of diatomaceous earth. It kills them, fairly rapidly, of dehydration, and that eliminates odor.

And if you put a wire mesh bottom, and a cloth top on it, whats to stop the rats from just, climbing up to the cloth and chewing through that? You would need to basically wrap your car in a complete cage of chicken wire (FINE chicken wire, like 1/4 inch mesh) and put the cover on it solely to protect the car from the mesh. That doesn't seem like too bad an idea, actually.... if you can deal with paying for all that chicken wire. Just build a cage for your car to keep the rats out!!!!!!

Relax,dude.

To me it's just thinking out loud.Every idea here mentioned needs refining.I'm not totally opposed to your idea at all.Sometimes you need to reply with an answer that doesn't start a cruelty to animals conversation.

And I can more easily tape the top vents,etc. and even lay w/m over the only entrance point I see which is behind the hood."all that chicken wire" isn't too much to me.It's the time involved.So the way I see it the w/m is affordable,easy to flex,easy to tape down,easy to snip pieces off.....

The cloth cover would be so the w/m doesn't scratch the crap out of the finish of the car.Of course I realize animals can eat through it.

You know,it's probably not worth the effort anyways.

Not sure why you need to get all excited with using exclamation points,but I'm not about to build a cage,sorry.Flexing some wire mesh and taping it down is alot faster.When you have two kids and all I do to keep after you'll understand.

Relax,dude.

I was intending more humor than any offensive, my apologies.. I just came to my end conclusion that if you want to build a basket on the bottom, may as well cage it all up. I have zero clue how much "all that" wire mesh might cost, and it *is* your call. My intent (although I did fail to note it spearately) was that, if you don't want to or don't have the time to seal the entrances to the vehicle up adequately, then seriously, wrap the whole thing in a cage of wire mesh. Seriously, it isn't *too* crazy an idea. I was actually just participating in the brainstorm. Sorry I wasn't clear in my tone, in retrospect I see where you're coming from. My mistake! :banana:

I was intending more humor than any offensive, my apologies.. I just came to my end conclusion that if you want to build a basket on the bottom, may as well cage it all up. I have zero clue how much "all that" wire mesh might cost

Actually, to do it right you would have to use like window screening (anything much larger and mice could climb through), and it would have to be the metal variety. I suppose the next best thing to a tupperware container for the car would be a wooden frame (cheap 1x2 pine probably, with a plywood bottom) covered with metal window screening (stapled), and then cover the whole thing with a cheap blue tarp from harbor freight, some dryer duct and battery operated 12v computer fans + car battery and soler charger.....

Could probably pull it off for pretty cheap actually. I bet less than $100 - cheaper and definately more advanced than a flimsy cotton duck or plastic car cover.

GD

Actually, to do it right you would have to use like window screening (anything much larger and mice could climb through), and it would have to be the metal variety. I suppose the next best thing to a tupperware container for the car would be a wooden frame (cheap 1x2 pine probably, with a plywood bottom) covered with metal window screening (stapled), and then cover the whole thing with a cheap blue tarp from harbor freight, some dryer duct and battery operated 12v computer fans + car battery and soler charger.....

Could probably pull it off for pretty cheap actually. I bet less than $100 - cheaper and definately more advanced than a flimsy cotton duck or plastic car cover.

GD

Sorry to have totally ignored your post about wire screen material.. although even a mouse would have a problem with 1/4 inch wire mesh, whatever gauge you get. But I was thinking something similar.. I guess the fan would be good, but the tarp cover would be slightly more than I would be concerned with. The cage built around the car seems a pretty viable idea....

Gentlemen,Thank you again and again for your efforts.Sorry if I get a little cranky.Just started a new job,adjusting hours,going to be adjusting hours again soon....so sleep adjustment is kind of working me over.

Too bad that I'm just leaving the job I was laid off from.They have lots of material they throw out and he's got a mess of wire mesh that's probably still sitting around.Maybe I'll talk to one of the guys and see what can be had when the owner is out.;) Otherwise,material isn't too costly,at least nothing we mentioned yet.

And to be honest,if I do need to devote some time I guess I can swing it.But with my son in his first year of "real" baseball I want to devote lots of time to him,and of course,my daughter too.With this current schedule of training on 2nd shift it's killing a lot of that time.:-\ And we're finishing off our home to sell,etc....the list goes on.Parenthood and all.....

Perhaps the cage isn't as involved as I thought.Really it all depends on what I see today when I go check out the space.If I have time I'll get back to the board later before heading into work.Even 1 x 3's anchored to the floor (if the owner will let me do that) and a few studs in the corners and mid-way,simple top plate,stapled mess or screen,or both...might be quick and easy enough.Let's face it,stronger is better.

As for using metal screen,mostly what I see still around is aluminum and even if it was steel I feel the mice's teeth would eat through it.Wire mess in a heavier gauge at 1/4" spacing seems good.

But,do you guys think they'll make it though a 1/4" space by chewing or pushing through?Maybe drop some DE around the preimeter,or mothballs,etc....whatever works.

I've heard that a rat can fit through a hole the size of a quarter (coin).So a mouse can probably fit through an even smaller hole.

Like I've said,maybe this whole effort might not be worth it.Especially if it fails and I have a mouse pee interior.

We just got a car like that for free over the fall/winter.Subaru3 passed along the info from a woman that contacted him.So we drove up to NY for a couple hours only to open the door and nearly drop to my knees and puke.This car was putrid-or maybe a stronger word applies.At that point I drove the thing home anyways since it ran great,etc..with the windows open and my face covered.I had some Ozium in my car,luckily.

The car I want to store is in fantastic shape and has already turned "classic" status here in CT.Just trying to save a rare bird-so maybe a cage would work.:)

thanks again!

But,do you guys think they'll make it though a 1/4" space by chewing or pushing through?Maybe drop some DE around the preimeter,or mothballs,etc....whatever works.

I've heard that a rat can fit through a hole the size of a quarter (coin).So a mouse can probably fit through an even smaller hole.

1/4" is plenty small, and definately chew-proof. They can chew a lot, but not steel. And they won't try anyway unless they have some reason to get inside. Rats are smart - on par with dogs - but unless they have a reason to go through a barrier (or burrow under it) they won't.

A junior sized rat would fit through a quarter sized hole, but not a full grown one. Females are around 300 grams, and males can be upwards of 600 to 700 grams. 1/4" is plenty small to preclude entrance to any rat or mouse old enough to be exploring outdoors.

She aint gettin through a quarter sized hole :rolleyes::

female1.jpg

GD

You only need 2 sq feet of mesh. One for the right side of the cowl, and one for the left. (and if you have rust holes, them too.

The other spot to check is the rubber grommets under the back seat, make sure they're in good shape.

thanks Dev,but not a speck of rot on this baby.that's why the effort is needed to keep it healthy.

Just came from the new space.Great guy as landlord.Great location.Going to work out well.there's already vehicles there and no problems to speak of.It's close enough that I can run over often.

Not sure how intense I'll get but we'll see what happens.So many other places for the rodents to go that my car be all set.

Thanks again,everyone.

Probably some mothballs will help,or ????