Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cant find the right shocks for my 1987 gl wagon

For the rears, it is fairly easy and inexpensive to replace the shock cartridges. You take out the whole unit - no special tools and then disassemble. Don't even need a spring compressor. If they are really old, you may need to replace the hard rubber stops and maybe the plastic dust shields. Best to source these parts before you start.

For the rears, it is fairly easy and inexpensive to replace the shock cartridges. You take out the whole unit - no special tools and then disassemble. Don't even need a spring compressor. If they are really old, you may need to replace the hard rubber stops and maybe the plastic dust shields. Best to source these parts before you start.

ok cool thanks

I am not sure what Tom is talking about excactly. Am I misunderstanding what mean? Are you talking about the coil-over rears on wagons? or are you talking about the ea81 hatches and brats and the like? EA82's don't have "cartridges" to swap. they are a modern sealed onepiece strut, with a springseat for the coilovers.

Disassembling the coilovers without spring compressors is dangerous. If you really need to do it without compressors, here's how.

With the vehicle on the ground, reach up to the top of strut and undo the 2 locknuts at the top of strut shaft. then slowly raise the vehicle with a jack. This will slowly let the force of the spring off. then you can remove the strut the rest of the way. But I don't wanna hear of anyone getting hurt.

Just yesterday I finished replacing all 4 struts on my '92 Loyale wagon (4WD), so have fresh experience to share:

* None of my struts were rebuildable. They were all sealed and had non-replaceable cartridges.

* The front struts I replaced were genuine Subaru, possibly original. The Monro SensaTrac (71876 and 71877) I put in were identical in size and shape. These are the same as for an '87 4WD.

* I hoped to have a definitive comparison between Subaru and Monroe on the rears, since Monroe crosses the same part for both 2WD and 4WD, but some say they are different. But all I can say is...that the Monroe SensaTracs (71222) I put in were identical to the Monroe Sensatracs I took out.

* It is a blessed thing to take out suspension bolts on a 15 year old car that spent significant time in rust territory and find that the previous mechanic (my father -in-law in this case) had put never-seize on them.

One other thing. Be as gentle as you can with the bolts. At various times I have broken both of the pinch bolts (the ones that didn't have never-seize on them) that hold the steering knuckle to the strut. The first time it happened I replaced the whole knuckle, and that was a pain because I had to wait for the replacement part to come, and I had to do bearings too. This time when the other one broke I bought a tap (10mm 1.25) and redrilled and tapped the knuckle. That turned out well and was easier than I thought it would be.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but aren't all ea82 rear shock assemblies the same basic design?

Here's my report on replacing rear shock cartridges on my xt last year before I sold it.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62489

I am not sure what Tom is talking about excactly. Am I misunderstanding what mean? Are you talking about the coil-over rears on wagons? or are you talking about the ea81 hatches and brats and the like? EA82's don't have "cartridges" to swap. they are a modern sealed onepiece strut, with a springseat for the coilovers.

Disassembling the coilovers without spring compressors is dangerous. If you really need to do it without compressors, here's how.

With the vehicle on the ground, reach up to the top of strut and undo the 2 locknuts at the top of strut shaft. then slowly raise the vehicle with a jack. This will slowly let the force of the spring off. then you can remove the strut the rest of the way. But I don't wanna hear of anyone getting hurt.

On the front, yes. But the rears are easily compressable by hand. I've done it many times.

GD

On the front, yes. But the rears are easily compressable by hand. I've done it many times.

GD

It's not the reassembly, but the DISASSEMBLY that is dangerous without compressors. Bad idea to unbolt them without some form of protection against the "boooiiiiinngg" factor. Ever seen the damage this can cause? I have. Big dent in the door of truck and a busted tool box from a Toyota pickup spring slipping out of a makeshift compressor.

It's not the reassembly, but the DISASSEMBLY that is dangerous without compressors. Bad idea to unbolt them without some form of protection against the "boooiiiiinngg" factor. Ever seen the damage this can cause? I have. Big dent in the door of truck and a busted tool box from a Toyota pickup spring slipping out of a makeshift compressor.

The rear springs aren't under enough force to hurt anything. As I, and Tom have said they are easy to do without tools. I've done it many times - using modified EA82 rear coil-overs is a common way to lift EA81's so I do know something of what I speak.

The front springs are a different matter entirely - for those a spring compressor is required.

GD