Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blew it up

Well I dont know if anyone was following my serious LEAN/Hesitation Issue latly but after a high speed run to the beach I noticed a loss in power and boost wasnt holding. Also noticed Blue smoke out the back.

Got it back and did a compression test :

150-146-142-65psi

#4 65psi

Tore the block out and inspected it to find this :

bf64698c77ce.jpg?_rh=cahh6apr6xn9jwwl02hiyx5kt

Seems as #4 was running extremly LEAN and Detonating!!!!! chunk of piston missing :(

I had the injectors flowed and it turns out #4 was screwed up so that was the problem the whole time but I didnt catch it in time.

Well I just finished installing another new SOA shortblock around 7pm hopfing to get it running for Subiefest but I just couldnt make it. Sorry to everyone who wanted to see it.

Anyways

Just had to vent a llittle.

Had that happen on my EJ22. $600 into rebuilding the engine, ran great, but appanently lean on #3 injector. Smoked the cyl and a valve, put a spare head on, smoked that valve too, then figured out it was running lean. one little injector can really ruin a well built motor.

That sucks bad man.

Why those Things Happens? :confused:

If that was Due to a Bad Injector, it Really Sucks! :-\

it Means that a Carburetor Never can do that Damage... isn´t it?

Well... Good Luck with the New Asembly! ... Pics Please! :burnout:

Essentially, you are right. That particular problem is something that only a TPI (tuned port injection) system can have.

Steveman, you were the one with the BRAND NEW shortblock ea82T, right?? was that a turbo compression motor, or an NA block? that sucks, man.. to be done in by something STUPID like that....

Essentially, you are right. That particular problem is something that only a TPI (tuned port injection) system can have.

Steveman, you were the one with the BRAND NEW shortblock ea82T, right?? was that a turbo compression motor, or an NA block? that sucks, man.. to be done in by something STUPID like that....

yeap brand new soa shortblock Ea82T I racked up 20,000miles of pure fun tho :)

I allready swapped the block for another brand new one ;)

oh yeah why not, just shovel some more cash towards it ;)

I think it is great you are willing to spend so much time and money on something you end op blowing up again :lol: j/k

but now more serious, I really do think you are doing a good job, I might have done some things differently but it's the results that count

Steve, what kind of injectors are you running again? I ask because I have a butt-load of 280ZX (mostly NA ZX) injectors that I need to sort through and clean and test, it is a project that has been on my to-do list for a long time... but I havent prioritized it. If you could use some new injectors (IE, double set) I could "get around" to doing this stuff very soon and send you a set out on the cheap.. these are parts I need to move anyhow. PM me if youre at all interested.. I realize that you are likely already running higher flow injectors than what Ive got, but I figured I would offer/mention it.

oh yeah why not, just shovel some more cash towards it ;)

I think it is great you are willing to spend so much time and money on something you end op blowing up again :lol: j/k

but now more serious, I really do think you are doing a good job, I might have done some things differently but it's the results that count

Anyone who has built a race car knows what I'm going through and no matter how much you prepare for it ************ happens, this failure was due to the #4 Fuel Injector going bad which ran Cylinder #4 LEAN, out of my control. Had the injectors flowed, #4 flowed 53% less fuel than others.

This new shortblock didnt cost me anything since I was able to warranty out another one since I know the parts manager.

I have a brand new set of injectors for it from Venom that are 360cc that I will be installing, the injectors that failed were the 280ZX Turbo Injectors.

Keep in mind I had 20,000miles of hard abusive driving on that block/build and the compression test showed near perfect compression on all other cylinders, so if it wasnt for the injectors the engine would still be running.

BTW Total Project Price 3 motors later and price of buying car = $5000/give or take a few bucks.

5k for a 12-13second car isnt bad.

Anyone who has built a race car knows what I'm going through and no matter how much you prepare for it ************ happens, this failure was due to the #4 Fuel Injector going bad which ran Cylinder #4 LEAN, out of my control. Had the injectors flowed, #4 flowed 53% less fuel than others.

This new shortblock didnt cost me anything since I was able to warranty out another one since I know the parts manager.

I have a brand new set of injectors for it from Venom that are 360cc that I will be installing, the injectors that failed were the 280ZX Turbo Injectors.

Keep in mind I had 20,000miles of hard abusive driving on that block/build and the compression test showed near perfect compression on all other cylinders, so if it wasnt for the injectors the engine would still be running.

BTW Total Project Price 3 motors later and price of buying car = $5000/give or take a few bucks.

5k for a 12-13second car isnt bad.

Amen to ALL of the above, and envy projected over your mad engine block hookups...

Had to ask about the injectors, even though I think i recall reading something elsewhere about your future plans. Good to see that after 20K the block was still in good shape otherwise. More fuel should be good, i bet it evens things out even more than you anticipate.

Hope everything goes back together well.