Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new to Legacy's - anything to be aware of?

hey all - we have recently purchased two Legacy's - both first gen (1990) one sedan, one wagon.

Being new to this version of Subaru, just wondering if there are any issues we should be looking for on these cars...

the wagon - LS series, 4 spd auto, AWD, 153K - has blown air suspension that is going to get swapped out as soon as we get the parts here. will also need exhaust since the twit that had it drove it around with the blown air suspension and trashed the exhaust. runs fine, tranny seems to be ok, altho havent really driven it yet. all the power goodies seem to work fine, including my fav - the power moonroof.

the sedan - L series, 5 spd manual, FWD, 201K - seems to be in fine machanical shape - other half drove it 25 miles home with no issues other than the heater fan doesnt work.

have had the EA82 series cars for 5+ years and am pretty familiar with them, but the Legacy is a whole new beast to me - looking for any pointers on what to look for/be aware of with these "new" toys.

make sure the tires match and are equally inflated. I dont remeber what AWD system are on these cars, but its the rule of thumb with anything AWD.

The heater is prbbly the resistor block or relay.

They are solid cars you should be good with them.

Air suspension its easier to convert it over to normal struts.

nipper

thanks for the reply nipper - yeah, we are going to swap in the standard coilovers for the air - just waiting for the parts to get here.

have done a little research on the AWD and have read about the dreaded "torque bind" issue and keeping tires up to snuff - try to do that anyway, even on the two wheel drive, but good info anyway.

looking forward to enjoying the new ones as much as we have enjoyed the old ones.

I think these early legacies are the best! As far as the heater issue, i'm guessing it to be a relay. resistor block problems usually only affect one or two speeds. And ussually will work on high because there is no resistor used oin the high setting. test for 12v at the fan. Should be 12v whenever the igniton is on and the selector is in anything but the off posistion. If not, look for a blown fuse or relay.

As far as Torque Bind, My 93 Legacy Automatic AWD has 290,000 miles. I have never had any problems with TB and that is on the original trans. Don't worry too much. Check your tires, and make sure they match.

The first gen Legacys are easy to maintain and require little of it compared to most other domestic cars (like that is any news to most fellow owners). Just the normal fluid changes like any car. I just broke 200,000 no problems on stock engine 92 2.2L 5sp. AWD (never apart). Keep an eye on the rear frame sections and x-member as they like to rust where they use rust fertelizer (salt:mad: ) on the roads. All around great car with bulletproof engine. Best of luck:headbang:

GL do you have the books for that? If so, could you scan us off a page or 2 that shows that? PS...cruz not installed yet.

Sorry, no books for Legacies yet. I did just get an 87 FSM and a 90 Loyale FSM minus the engine section. Look like you guys are having fun in the mud up there. Let me know If you want me to come up to help with that Cruise.