Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New here...would appreciate some input regarding 99 Outback

Hi Folks...I'm new to this message board and have been doing lots of reading on the older Outbacks with the HG issues. I'm currently looking a purchasing a 99 Outback (manual transmission). It has 209 000KM on it and just had the HG replaced and has all receipts to show the work done. It has been RUST CHECKED since new and is in great shape. It drives very nicely (no rattles or knocking from suspension). The asking price is $6900 CAN. I'm a bit nervous about the whole HG issue...but since it has just been replaced...should this still be something I should be concerned about? I'm not sure if its a Phase I or Phase II engine. Could I expect to get another 5 yrs or so out of this car?Thanks in advance for your time and input!

Mark

If it's been done dont worry about it (I would however pop the radiator cap and let it run and check for bubbles). Next I would take the car and drive it in figure 8's and make sure the AWD is functioning properly. Make sure all the tires match.

nipper

in general, sounds like a good car at a decent price.

but, i would drive it thoroughly and put some miles/time on it and keep your eye on the temperature gauge to look for any HG issues. i would also look at the receipt of all the work done and see what kind of headgasket they used. these are Subaru only HG repairs in my oppinion for this engine, Subaru has an updated headgasket for this application. if it's not a Subaru gasket i would be far more skeptical about it. the reason i stress looking into this is that why would someone pay all that money and turn around and sell the vehicle? it's not that big of a deal and i've seen a few for sale like this, most likely people just get scared and want to dump them in favor of something newer.

Phase I Phase II doesn't really matter at this point, but both have HG issues of some type. i would also check the receipts or ask and see if the timing belt has recently been replaced. if not, that's typically a $500 - $800 repairs depending who and how it's done. this engine is an interference motor, you don't want to guess how old or if it's ever been replaced.

check for torque bind like nipper said. figure eigths, tight, slow moving sharp turns in parking lots. any binding isn't good....but is reasonably fixable as well.

There's NO question, the 1999 has the Phase I engine. And Olnick has raised a very good point. ONLY genuine Subaru replacement head gaskets of the LATEST revision are acceptable. Phase I engines repaired properly with genuine Subaru head gaskets have proven to be quite dependable. I would also want proof that the job was done by a Subaru dealership or an independent repair shop with extensive Subaru experience. Other than genuine Subaru gaskets? Walk away from the deal.

Unless the very real possibility of another head gasket replacement is priced into the deal.

Thanks folks...I really appreciate your posts.

The work was done at a repair shop that specializes in import vehicles...and have an excellent reputation in the town that I live in. I'm going to call them tomorrow and find out what sort of gasket was used. The guy is selling the car for someone else (small private lot) and he wasn't sure if the timing belt or water pump was replaced at the same time. He did mention that the cost of the HG replacement job was around $1700...

I took the car out for a drive yesterday afternoon and drove figure 8s in a parking lot and everything felt great. There were also some service records in the glove compartment from the original owner which included new rear struts and brakes (2002) and a trailer hitch and wiring installation. The original owner's phone number was on one of the receipts...so I might just call him to ask him a few questions about the vehicle.

How do you feel about CarFax? Would it be beneficial to have it checked out? I'm not familiar with it...or how it works...as far as how information about the vehicle is recorded. It may not be so popular where I live (Truro, Nova Scotia).

I really hope everything pans out with the car...I've driven Outbacks before, all of which have been automatics (never actually owned one), but I instantly fell for the feel of the car...and I've always loved the look of the 98/99 Outbacks.

Thanks again for everyone's input. I think this is a great site and look forward to spending some time here in the future.

Mark

you've got nothing to loose by calling the previous owner.

car-fax is a tool, i wouldn't depend on it, but i wouldn't avoid it either. a clean car-fax by no means indicates you're getting a perfect car. but if it's previously been in an accident or something that's certainly good to know. i would never consider car-fax as something to rely on in terms of verifying a "good" car, but it's helpful in weeding out bad ones.

I called the garage today that all the work was done...and the timing belt was replaced at the same time and all parts were straight from Dexter's Subaru in Halifax. The clutch, 2 exhaust gaskets, a cv boot, thermostat, engine flush and oil change were all done at the same time. The guys at the garage had lots of good things to say about the car (body condition, etc) and were very confident it would be a reliable vehicle.

I have to do some number crunching tonight and see what kind of wheel and deal game plan I can come up with.

Thanks again everyone! I'll let you know how it all goes!

Mark