Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i have a 1991 subaru legacy and sometimes when i turn the key to start i get nothing. it is almost like the battery had be taken out. after a few seconds i try it again and it starts just fine. this only happens every once in a while. the batt and the alt are both fine. any idea what could cause this?

technically, this belongs in the "newer gen" forum; you might get better answers there. the mods usually move these threads soon enough, but while youre here I'll rty and help you anyhow.

I had the same problem on my GL10, and it got to a point where I was frequently using a screwdriver to bridge the positive battery cable over to the solenoid terminal with the key "on" to start the car.

I installed a relay to do basically just that, and used the original solenoid wire attached to the ignition switch, to signal the relay.

go to advanced search, enter the search term "relay" and enter the user name Skip. on the first page there should be a thread with a subject similar to this, with about 27 or so replies... click on that. skip has a wonderful little diagram, and he and i both made some posts outlining this fix in detail... one of these days im going to make a simple write up with photos for the USRM.. one of these days.....

i have a 1991 subaru legacy and sometimes when i turn the key to start i get nothing. it is almost like the battery had be taken out. after a few seconds i try it again and it starts just fine. this only happens every once in a while. the batt and the alt are both fine. any idea what could cause this?

Here is a detailed story about the ignition switch , not just the start position......

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65843

As a new guy on the board

you need to evaluate your options.

Do you have the time, tools and expierence

to find a place to buy the contacts, yank the starter,

tear into it and replace the solenoid internals?

or

as these iginion switches are known to cause

some problems at this age

Go for getting a relay and an inline fuse at Walmart, NAPA ect

a few feet of wire

and

have a go at the relay fix Daeron and I explain?

choice is yours

batter up

Good luck and we all hope this helps.

As a new guy on the board

you need to evaluate your options.

Do you have the time, tools and expierence

to find a place to buy the contacts, yank the starter,

tear into it and replace the solenoid internals?

or

as these iginion switches are known to cause

some problems at this age

Go for getting a relay and an inline fuse at Walmart, NAPA ect

a few feet of wire

and

have a go at the relay fix Daeron and I explain?

choice is yours

batter up

Good luck and we all hope this helps.

I'd say that out of those 3 problems, the starter contacts is BY FAR the most common, especially on the 1991's. And seeing as I own one and have had the contacts problem and not any of the others, I think I'd know.

i had a similar problem on my 97 obw. i swapped in a starter from a 96 leg donor car and evenually the problem came back. this led me to believe it wasn't my starter contacts (but both starters had 100k - to 125k miles, so who knows).

so i tried the relay fix last spring and no more problems. my understanding was that there is an internal relay in the ignition system that gets weak and it doesn't send enough juice to the starter. i'm not sure. but if so, this may contribute to contact wear, or maybe the combination of the 2 issues is to blame, fix one and it works again. still , i'm not sure, but my starter is 100% now.

thanks to skip, it was great help.

I bought the car with a bad starter almost 7 years ago when it had 90k, I'm fairly certain it was the original. I had the starter replaced, and I have no idea where the replacement one came from. Earlier this year, that starter began to act up, so I replaced it with a reman OEM one, and so far so good obviously.

As a guy who's been around the board for a while, I can say that the contacts are a often recurring problem. So I'd get my local high school or tech school auto shop to put new contacs in the soleniod.

The contacts burn out. The easiest way to tell is if you turn the key to start, listen for a click under the hood. Every time you turn the key, you should hear a click under the hood.

My dad thought it might have something to do with the clutch when his car started randomly not starting. He'd turn the key, nothing but a click, he'd push the clutch in and out, the car would start. Shows how supersiticions get started.

I replaced the contacts, and the problem went away.

My car, I've had the same problem, but it's that the contacts are getting turned by the starter cable. The contacts aren't anchored into the solenoid body well enough, so they rotate and don't connect well.

My dad thought it might have something to do with the clutch when his car started randomly not starting. He'd turn the key, nothing but a click, he'd push the clutch in and out, the car would start. Shows how supersiticions get started.

Newer vehicles have a switch on the clutch pedal so you have to press the clutch in order to start it.

Newer vehicles have a switch on the clutch pedal so you have to press the clutch in order to start it.

Well DUH. "he'd push the clutch in and out" I suppose I should have phrased it "he'd pump the clutch pedal, then hold it in again"

I'd say it's an 85% chance it's the solenoid contacts.