Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Under-engine splashguard good for anything?

I went driving in some mud puddles for the first time yesterday in my 01 outback, and while I was cleaning the muck and plants out of my foglights afterwards I noticed that the giant plastic under-engine splashguard was all cracked and held together by zip-ties. Then after stopping for gas it was dragging on the ground, so I pitched it in the trash.

Are these things good for anything? Should I bother to replace it?

It was good for being in the way when I change the oil on my Forester. I live in CA so it is not keeping snow out of there at which it may be useful. I have seen no noticeable difference on my car in the year I've had it off. If I can still find it I'll give it to the next owner.

I went driving in some mud puddles for the first time yesterday in my 01 outback, and while I was cleaning the muck and plants out of my foglights afterwards I noticed that the giant plastic under-engine splashguard was all cracked and held together by zip-ties. Then after stopping for gas it was dragging on the ground, so I pitched it in the trash.

Are these things good for anything? Should I bother to replace it?

The 06 impreza wagon I got first started making rubbing noises late this winter. I noticed one of the flaps was loose (and rubbing ) so I reinstalled the plastic rivet.

Later I had the dealer check the underside and they reported back that the splash guard was also damaged and partially missing. I eventually replaced it. THe underside looked beautiful without it.

Before they got the $120 CAN part I drove around for two or three weeks with it off.

With it the car is quieter, can't hear the engine as much and less wind blown at speed.

I also noticed that the engine might be running hotter (probably the designed temp) because I can hear a normal level of contraction now when it cools.

I can only guess what caused this as we are not the first owners.They drove it a full winter in Quebec.

Now it's right as rain!