Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Best way to re-enforce rear spair tire cover?

Was at the dealer the other day with the dog.

The service guy said that eventually that carpeted panel in the back will cavitate under the weight of the dog 54 lbs. He suggested filling up the empty space with blankets or somthing to prop it up from the inside. I'm thinking I would like to place a big piece of carpeted 3/8 plywood.

on top cut to fit. I want a good strong lightweight and easy to remove solution.

Anybody come across a good solution commercial or home made ?:)

The guy is right. The foam cover for the spare tire well cover will PERMANENTLY deform if a heavy weight is placed on it. I place a piece of plywood over the spare wheel well when I need to place something heavy in that area. Plywood is cheap, easy to cut, strong, light, and easily obtainable-what could be better? I think Subaru screwed up with the easily compressed foam spare tire cover. However, it's a minor problem.

Yeah, plywood should work fine. I might use 1/2" though, as it will deflect a lot less under the load. I would also treat it with some water sealer or use marine ply, as regular plywood will absorb moisture over time, causing it to warm and/or delaminate.

Was at the dealer the other day with the dog.

The service guy said that eventually that carpeted panel in the back will cavitate under the weight of the dog 54 lbs. He suggested filling up the empty space with blankets or somthing to prop it up from the inside. I'm thinking I would like to place a big piece of carpeted 3/8 plywood.

on top cut to fit. I want a good strong lightweight and easy to remove solution.

Anybody come across a good solution commercial or home made ?:)

I got rid of that foam spacer above my "full height" donut in my 01 H6 and bought the cheapest rim I could find and put a full size spare down there. It just baaaaarely fits and supports the panel perfectly. Just keep the best tire next time you replace yours, air it up to 40 psi to balance out any circumference issues and have the piece of mind of a real spare!

I got rid of that foam spacer above my "full height" donut in my 01 H6 and bought the cheapest rim I could find and put a full size spare down there. It just baaaaarely fits and supports the panel perfectly. Just keep the best tire next time you replace yours, air it up to 40 psi to balance out any circumference issues and have the piece of mind of a real spare!

If I can confirm that a full size spare does in fact fit I might consider putting a new rim and a reasonable all season equivalent in there.

I have a storage box between spare tire and cover, I got it from a j/y car I was pulling other stuff from. Seems like its an oem option, fits perfectly and the cover does not sag and the box is usefull for all the junk I usually carry around.

I have one of those.

nipper

• 3 weeks later...
I have a storage box between spare tire and cover, I got it from a j/y car I was pulling other stuff from. Seems like its an oem option, fits perfectly and the cover does not sag and the box is usefull for all the junk I usually carry around.

Could one of you fine fellows kindly refer me to the link so I can find this for myself?

Thanks

Could one of you fine fellows kindly refer me to the link so I can find this for myself?

Thanks

What link do you want?

Here's a diagram for you.

cover.GIF

Storage box part number is 91047aa011 and runs around $50 and cover is 91044AA550, costs 140 at Subiegal's store.

After having to replace a set of tires, while on the road 1,000 miles from home, I now carry a full sized spare too. I ripped a sidewall and the tires were at least half worn, but . . . . . . .

You lose some storage, but save a lot of future issues.

Jack

If you do decide to go the wood route, you may want to go with MDF. It will cut nicer and leave a nice clean edge that shouldn't fray pieces of wood off over time like plywood will. Take out the carpet and use it as a template, just trace it on to the wood. Cut it out about 1/4" inside the line with a jigsaw.

Yea but tire and wheel combo is too expensive right now.

So I might just pursue the tray option.

well its not difficult to find a wheel somewhere, but if your looking for a junkyard with alot of stuff, call up these guys, there far, but worth the drive so much stuff there, its like 100km from where you are probably and 85km from maple.

http://www.domsauto.com/

Last time i went there was like 2 or 3 outbacks 4 legacies 90-94 range, and 1 totalled forester, one of them has to have that tray or a wheel.

PS: i was there this weekened ;)

What link do you want?

Here's a diagram for you.

cover.GIF

Storage box part number is 91047aa011 and runs around $50 and cover is 91044AA550, costs 140 at Subiegal's store.

Thanks I finally found it at allsubaru.com

Part # 95055FE000 for 07 impreza wagon should fit 06.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=MorePartInfo&PartID=394964&siteid=214117&catalogid=3754

54.53 includes shipping to me here in Toronto!

post-21857-136027622646_thumb.jpg

One thing to consider when using heavier gauge materials for the floor panel is safety in the event of a collision from the rear.

Newer cars contain foam to save weight, but also to limit the amount of projectiles that could enter the passenger area.

A large sheet of 1/2" plywood becomes a battering ram in a major impact. Where are your rear passengers kidneys or spine located relative to a sheet of heavy material like that?

So I'm not saying that you shouldn't do this. But do keep in mind that while many auto manufacturers are being cheap to save weight and material cost, they are also altering the materials to protect the car's occupants.

With that in mind, MDF properly supported from underneath is the cheaper and yet still sturdy way to go. Perhaps if the panel was screwed down the same way the spare tire is, this is a more secure solution. If I was using a larger gauge plywood, I'd still support it from underneath, but cut some relief slots across in 1/4th or 1/2th of the length so i CAN buckle if there is a crash.