Ultimate Subaru Message Board

07 outback 2.5i A/C "problem"

Got an '07 Outback 2.5i with a weird A/C issue. Compressor runs for about 15 seconds and then cuts off, blowing "warm" air out. Compressor then kicks in after about 5 seconds and blows cold air again. About 15-20 seconds later it happens again.

Background

700 miles

ambient temp 75 deg

happens at idle and while driving

RPM's/accelerator seem to have no effect

Dealer today said it is "normal operation". "This happens so the coil does not freeze up." However they say I am the first person who has ever complained about this. Both tech and service advisor had a bit of a "puzzled look" on their faces when i showed them what happened.

I understand the coil issue, but I have never, ever been in a car that has done this.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

David

Well, if it's "normal," you should request to test drive another '07 Outback on the dealer's lot and see for yourself if it does the same thing. If it doesn't behave the same way, then it's on the dealer to diagnose and repair the problem!

Nathan

Got an '07 Outback 2.5i with a weird A/C issue. Compressor runs for about 15 seconds and then cuts off, blowing "warm" air out. Compressor then kicks in after about 5 seconds and blows cold air again. About 15-20 seconds later it happens again.

Background

700 miles

ambient temp 75 deg

happens at idle and while driving

RPM's/accelerator seem to have no effect

Dealer today said it is "normal operation". "This happens so the coil does not freeze up." However they say I am the first person who has ever complained about this. Both tech and service advisor had a bit of a "puzzled look" on their faces when i showed them what happened.

I understand the coil issue, but I have never, ever been in a car that has done this.

Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance.

David

My first thoughts run towards a leak. If there is not the proper volume of R134a the compressor will cycle on and off because as it pumps the lo side pressure drops, and this in turn activates the lo pressure switch.

Putting a set of manifold gauges on it would tell you alot.

If you dont have access to a set inject some UV dye (available at your local parts store) and check for leaks that way.

My 07 OBW LTD has the Automatic Climate Control feature, which may be different from what you have in your car (Manual I suspect?). When starting the car it does take several seconds for the unit to analyze the set temp, and the temp inside the car, and then blow the correct air temperature out of the correct vents in the dash or out of the floor, but it soon settles on one approach and then doesn't deviate from there. There is no "hunting" after that. I suspect that your system is not operating properly, as the others have suggested, and I would agree that you need to get the dealership to demonstrate their answer by taking you for a spin in another 07 equipped with the same system as your car.

definitly sounds like its low on refrigerant like nipper said, will not run with little to no pressure or the bearings in compressor don;t get any lubrication(i believe, correc me if im wrong).

Alot of problems occuring with newer subaru;s and all dealers say is its normal, everything is normal, you come in why is my car blowing smoke heavily, normal, why does my seat catch on fire with my heated seats on, normal, why does the engine not start? normal. I guess everything is normal.:-\

does it keep the interior cool at all?

either way that doesn't sound normal. i'd test drive another one and see what it does as well. then get really PO'ed when you find out they lied to you about a car that's BRAND FREAKING NEW. you didn't pay for this kind of treatment, you paid for a warranty and service, it's time for them to honor that. if you wanted to buy something with quirks and unknown issues with no warranty or service you would have bought a 2000 subaru.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The interior does stay cool. This weekend I am going to try a different dealer to see what they say.

Tech said that when the air coming out after the coil is below ~48 degrees the compressor shuts off to avoid freezing. I sort of understand and since the ambient air here is only ~60 degrees, i can see that this is possible.

but still, never felt this on another car...

will keep you updated... if interested