Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MSD Blaster 2 install ?

I put one on my EA-71, and I bought the .8 ohm resistor seperatly. The instructions, said that I would need to use the resistor if I were to use my stock distriburtor.

OH, and I have hear that it will fry spark plugs if they are gaped at the stock .045 inches. So I gaped my new plugs at .065 inches. Iknow it's a really big gap, but that blaster 2 coil, throughs a really big hot spark.

I would recomend getting some 7.5 or 8 mm plug wires also.

if its going on the rx you have listed in your profile, then its just a direct swap. i tihnk the only time you need the ballast resistor is when you have a points system in your ditributor. the newer cars are electronic, not mechanical, so no points to burn. or something like that.

if its going on the rx you have listed in your profile, then its just a direct swap. i tihnk the only time you need the ballast resistor is when you have a points system in your ditributor. the newer cars are electronic, not mechanical, so no points to burn. or something like that.

Your on the right track but I cannot remember the entire reasoning behind it. Pretty much the electronic points breaker grounds the secondry of coil just before firing and disconects just after. This is so the secondry winding is only heating up while spark is made and not during the whole rotation of engine which equates to a longer life for the coil.

So if you have old points breaker you need a balast resister but with the electronic points it is not required. Also remember that this blaster2 draws more current through the electronic points than stock so they have a tendency to burn out quicker. Might be an idea to keep a spare ignition module in your car for those long trips.

I've had MSD-8222 (that's the epoxy version) coils in a couple of SPFI EA82's for a few years now - no problems at all. Plug and play. But I regapped the plugs to .051. The higher voltage over the wider gap is what gives a fatter spark. $5 more than oil filled version.

I've also put the Summit Racing house brand 40K volt epoxy coil in another EA82 recently - again with .051 plug gaps. Only been a month and a few K miles, but it seems to be OK and is about $15 less than MSD-8222.

Have 8mm plug wires on all.

I've never heard anything about frying plugs if left at stock gap, but if you're going to take advantage of a high output coil, the larger plug gap is necessary to develope a fatter spark. If the gap is left the same, the spark will be pretty much the same as a stock coil. It only takes a given amout of voltage to jump an air gap. The bigger the gap, the more voltage you need to cause a spark - hence the high output coils.

I also agree with what has been said about not needing a ballast resistor. A resistor is only needed with ancient breaker point type ignitions.

These 8mm plug wires that have been mentioned-is there a set out there made for the EA82T, or are they just something like the MSD wires that you cut to length and assemble the ends on?

usually they are cut to length, i am running accell wires that i picked up a while back, set fora v8 so i get two sets of wires outta it. they get the job done.

Lol, looks like I'm to keep spares of alot of things in the car at all times.

So excuse me for being a bit EA-ignorant, but where is this ignition module? I can't find one for sale @ Autozone's site.

Its under your distributor cap, and btw its probably not strictly called an ignition module, I aint good with termanology at the best of times :rolleyes:.

These 8mm plug wires that have been mentioned-is there a set out there made for the EA82T, or are they just something like the MSD wires that you cut to length and assemble the ends on?

Ditto what subyrally says about Accel wires. I believe that Accel does make a set specifically for an EA82, but for about the same price you can get the generic V8 set and make 2 sets for an EA82(or EA81) - if you don't mind doing the work of cutting and terminating wires (and they come in COLORS!). Of course if you've only got one car ..... maybe you can split the cost with a friend (if you can agree on the color)!

I also ran the 45K coils for quite a while with original Subaru 7mm plug wires with out any problems. I did make sure they were clean and undamaged though - used a rag with brake cleaner on it to wipe them down. In fact I didn't really notice any difference when I put in the 8mm wires.

I have been running a Blaster 2 for almost 2 years now, and my gap is .055". This car runs better now thatn when it was given to me. I have MSD 8mm wires on it. Had to buy the set for a V8, and had a spare set, that I now thinking of putting in the daughters 1980 DL Wagon. I have had good results with MSD, and will buy them again.

am very new to sooby's but certainly not to msd which i have used on several rigs to significant advantage. have not seen or read much that declares the exception benefits that were gained using msd. at the end of the day, are we areally talking about a marginal performance gain and not something that in and of itself is significant, espeically on a non-points car.