Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spring specs?

I was tooling around on Eibach's website because someone on CarDomain.com with an XT6 mentioned (and had pics) of his car with Eibach springs and GC coil sleeves. Looked good, and he said it helped immensely in auto-X events. Problem is, on the Eibach site you cannot find any listings for older Subies. But.....

You can input the specifications you are looking for [free length, inner diameter, spring rate, etc] and find matches! So, that being said, if anyone has the specs for front and rear springs on their Subes, drop them here or perhaps get a sticky going. I'd like to know for my RX so I can lower her a bit but retain a mildly stiff ride.

Good to know Bratman. It would still be great if we could pool the info on free length, diameter, spring rate (stock), and block height for as many models as possible; that way it might give old Subie owners another method for improving their suspensions by being able to pick from a variety of springs. I sampled that search on Eibach, plugging in 10" free length and 2.5" inner diameter just as the 'toying' point, and it returned an entire page of available springs, from laughably light rate all the way to I think over 800lb/in!? So with the proper starting information, I believe it's feasible to build ones own custom setup.

springspecs.jpg

I'm currently running generic R1 Racing coilover springs for an impreza on my loyale. They fit great....but they're way stiffer than I want (450/500 lb/in)

You can order springs from Ground Control with custom spring rates too.

the difficulty is not the springs, but the shocks/struts. the only stiffer than stock, aftermarket shock/strut combo available for an EA82 are KYB GR2s. which in the grand scheme of things are pretty soft.

Someone in MNSubaru suggested trying Koni inserts, but I don't care to try because I'm going 5-lug using legacy stuff....

WJM says regular BE/BH legacy rear shocks will not work with EA82 tophats. I've been meaning to ask him why....

but full coilovers (Megan Racing, Tein, etc.) will.

my hunt for sweet suspension continues....hopefully I'll find something I like by the time I have the money to spend on it :-\

you can run the ground control coilovers on the stock shocks or kyb replacements. the spring diameter is 2.5" which is the same as the rear springs anyway, so you just need to find a tophat for the rear. the front is the same way except you can use your stock tophats. i still have the stock shocks with ground contols on my car, they came from a wrx and they were $50 on ebay. i read a couple posts a while back saying the ebay coilovers weren't that bad.