Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have a 97 Legacy that I'm interested in getting alloy wheels for it. It currently has 14" wheels and I guess I would upgrade to 15" wheels. I haven't removed the hub caps, so I don't know if the existing wheels are 4 or 5 lugs. If it is 5, which is what most aftermarket wheels seem to be, do I have to change the brakes at all? If the lugs don't match, is it a big deal to go to a 15" brake?

There are a few decent looking 14" alloys floating about on subaru cars. Keep your eyes pealed. Also check on the price of the tires before devoting yourself to a wheel size. I doubt there would be a subastancial difference.

<<Correction. Those are 97-99 2.5GT wheels.>>

actually those wheels were used on Legacy GT's up to 2004.

lhrocker, if you want a set of those wheels, i have a set with new tires on them for $325. i will not ship but i am in south NJ. thanks

svxpert,

Will the 16"'s fit on my 14 brakes with no issues? What tires are on them? Could you send pictures to LHROCKER@EARTHLINK.NET.

I'm interested.

Thanx,

Pete

<<Correction. Those are 97-99 2.5GT wheels.>>

actually those wheels were used on Legacy GT's up to 2004.

lhrocker, if you want a set of those wheels, i have a set with new tires on them for $325. i will not ship but i am in south NJ. thanks

Will the 16"'s fit on my 14 brakes with no issues?

no need to change the brakes.

if you went with larger brakes you would likely HAVE to get larger wheels to clear the larger brake caliper behind it. but not the other way around.

your brakes have nothing at all to do with getting these larger wheels. remember...if you get larger wheels...there is no issue with your brakes. you might want to let us know why you're thinking the brakes need to change, maybe we can help you understand how it works a little better.

Gary - I just wasn't sure if the bolt pattern is different between the different size wheels. If my brakes had 4 bolts and the larger wheels have 5 bolts, then I guess my brakes would need to be changed to accomodate the extra bolt, right?

Like I said, I haven't taken the hub caps off my wheels, so I don't know if there were different bolt patterns for different size wheels.

All but a few 90+ subarus are 5x100. Those exceptions are the SVX, 05+ STI, and B9 Tribeca. On top of that, Any set of brakes from any of the cars not listed will bolt up to any other car (with one more small exception). To give you an idea of how interchangeable most parts are, my 93 Legacy has WRX wheels, tires, brakes, front seats, radio, struts, and brake lines, among other things.

Any other "new gen" Subaru wheel will fit on any other Subaru. The only brake clearance problem is when you try to put smaller wheels on a car with bigger brakes like the WRX.

Here is your local for sale forum on nasioc:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=138

It wouldn't hurt for you to give that a browse.

Gary - I just wasn't sure if the bolt pattern is different between the different size wheels. If my brakes had 4 bolts and the larger wheels have 5 bolts, then I guess my brakes would need to be changed to accomodate the extra bolt, right?

Like I said, I haven't taken the hub caps off my wheels, so I don't know if there were different bolt patterns for different size wheels.

that's not how it works, i figured you might not quite understand how it all works together. your wheels must match whatever bolt pattern your car has...your HUBS are the defining part here. if you hvae 5 lug hubs and 5x100 spacing of the lug studs (which are in the hubs), then you HAVE to have 5 lug wheels with 5x100 spacking. you can't just get whatever wheels you want then add or take away lug studs and holes as needed to fit those wheels. you have to get 5x100 wheels to fit your legacy. that being said, bigger wheels can't affect the brakes. you said "if my brakes had 4 bolts"...if they did, you would HAVE to get 4 bolt rims, you can't just get 5 bolt rims and "change the brakes"....it would require far more than that to change the bolt pattern on a vehicle.

so, your legacy has a 5x100 bolt pattern (5 lugs studs, all your wheels will have 5 lug studs). changing wheels has nothing to do with brakes...you remove a wheel and put another one back on, there's no brake work, changing, looking at, touching, removing, or even moving involved of the brakes. the wheels bolt to whatever studs exist on the hub of the vehicle...so the wheel has to match the vehicle, period. that's why everyone keeps mentioning 5x100, which is what nearly all Subaru wheels are. you can use any 5 lug subaru wheel (which means all legacy and impreza..exception new WRX STi's) on your vehicle, except the SVX and newer STi, they have a 5x114.7 bolt pattern that does not fit. and who cares, they don't look all that nice anyway, there are nicer legacy and impreza options out there. the WRX wheels are nice, 16" and easy to come by. 15" like you mentioned aren't quite as nice and are a little harder to find, but the legacy style 15" are really nice...don't know what they're called. 16's have far more options.

That answered my question::banana:

if they did, you would HAVE to get 4 bolt rims, you can't just get 5 bolt rims and "change the brakes"....it would require far more than that to change the bolt pattern on a vehicle.

One last unrelated question - If my car has ABS, are all 4 brakes disc?

That answered my question

excceeeelllent

One last unrelated question - If my car has ABS, are all 4 brakes disc?
the answer to that question by itself is, No. ABS does not have anything to do with whether your car has disk or drums. ABS stands for "Anti Lock Brake System"..or something close to that. That has to do with a system that has a feedback control mechanism for your brakes. ABS can be used with disc or drum brakes.

now..whether your car has rear discs. it's really easy to tell, just look at them. if the rear looks like the front with a big disc on it, then it is the same. if not, then it's drum brakes. there are impreza's and legacy's with rear drum brakes. a legacy GT or SUS will not have drum brakes. i didn't see what kind of Legacy you have, i'm guessing it's not a GT because the 97's don't come with 14" wheels.

All 90-94 Legacies have rear discs. All brighton and 95-96 L Legacies have rear drums, and from 97-01 rear discs were an option on ABS equipped L models. All the LS, LSi, and GT cars have rear discs.

I have a 97 L Sedan. I think I have discs, but I wasn't there when the brakes got done (my wife was) and I've only owned the car for 3 weeks. I will remove the wheel covers or find the repair receipt. If it has 4 rotors rather than 2 rotors and 2 drums, I'll know what it is.

it might easier to lean down behind one rear tire and look at the back side of the other side. you'll be able to see the rotors (discs) that way as well.

for what it's worth my OBS has rear drums (for now) and i have WRX rims on it, they don't really show that bad if that's what you're concerned about. the larger WRX rims look waaaay better too.

All brighton and 95-96 L Legacies have rear drums, and from 97-01 rear discs were an option on ABS equipped L models. All the LS, LSi, and GT cars have rear discs.

Not true.

All Brightons- true. FWD 95's - true. 95 L had rear disks std., on 96 rear disks +abs were an option, 97+ L had rear disks std.