Ultimate Subaru Message Board

premium gas required in 2002 LLB OB?

so it is absolutely imperative that one use premium in a 2002 LLB outback? when i bought the car from its previous owner, she told me that she used regular octane without realizing the car called for premium, and that according to the dealer, she mucked up something or other. . .sparks? injectors? i can't remember.

anyway, i've read conflicting things; some sources say always use premium if the manufacturer says, other sources say only 10% of cars truly need it, still others say you can alternate.

i'd like to know for sure because premium here in lovely lansing, michigan, just shot up to $3.95 today, which is really insanely ridiculous and a killer on the wallet.

From a technical stand point, I have no idea but from experience I don't think it is a must...

We have had 1995 Subaru impreza 467,00kms, 2001 legacy 160,000kms, 2001 Subaru forester 204,000kms and a 2006 legacy that has about 40,000kms have always just used regular gas in them, have never had a fuel system problem at all...

But again I do not have any technical knowledge regarding cars, just thought I would throw my 2 cents in

Each and every Subaru has what is called a "knock sensor". When your engine "pings" the knock sensor signals the engine computer to retard the timing. If your engine happens to "ping" (for whatever reason, be it "regular gas", or poor mechanical condition) and it finds itself running in a ignition retarded state your gas mileage drops by approximately 25%. It matters not what the gas costs, you would be wise, and $$$$ ahead, to run the gas your vehicle calls for.

BTW: Premium gas here costs (today) $1.31/litre, or 1.31X4 ($5.25).

I kinda have it figured that if I want to drive my car it really doesn't matter what gas costs because I would be riding my bicycle, or walking, otherwise.

Johnson']How much is regular vs premium. Here it's a $0.24 difference. That's $2.40 extra for 10 gallons. It doesn't add up to much' date=' especially when you compare it to piece of mind.[/quote']

$0.30, which at a 15-gallon fill-up is an extra $4.50 a tank. it adds up, but i definitely get your drift.

Yah you should be fine using regular if that's what you want. The knock sensor should take care of you. Don't use 86 though, the manual says it doesn't want that. However if you want to run that baby for all it's worth, you need the premium.

The thing the person may have 'messed up' by using regular fuel is coking up the combustion chambers, etc. though that can be cleaned.

However if the knock sensor isn't detecting the knock correctly (thereby retarding the timing), engine damage could occur on the lower octane fuel if premium is called for.

The car's ECU should be able to adjust the timing for the lower octane gas and I don't think that will hurt anything other than some lower engine performace along with slightly lower MPG. Of more concern I feel is using a quality gasoline.

I have LL Bean also and spend the extra for premium.

We have a 2002 OBW (LL Bean edition), H6 with 94,000 miles on it. The owners manual called for 91 octane, but that's not available around here. What I do find is 89 ictane (mid grade) and 93 octane (premium).

We have pretty much used 89 octane from day one. I have sometimes filled up with 93 octane for a trip or just to see if there was any difference in performace or gas mileage, and have never noticed any that I could attribute to the difference in octane.

I wouldnt risk it on one of those H6 3.0 engines. Detonation (ping) in one of them would be a VERY expensive problem. Close to $10,000 for a new engine from Subaru. I have seen a repair bill slip from an 03 VDC owner who had their engine replaced. Like any of Subarus prior H6 engines, they are fabulous if you take care of them but will kick you right where it hurts if you dont.

so it is absolutely imperative that one use premium in a 2002 LLB outback? when i bought the car from its previous owner, she told me that she used regular octane without realizing the car called for premium, and that according to the dealer, she mucked up something or other. . .sparks? injectors? i can't remember.

anyway, i've read conflicting things; some sources say always use premium if the manufacturer says, other sources say only 10% of cars truly need it, still others say you can alternate.

i'd like to know for sure because premium here in lovely lansing, michigan, just shot up to $3.95 today, which is really insanely ridiculous and a killer on the wallet.

If the engine is an H6 or a Turbo, stay with 91+ Octane. The normal 2.5 aspirated H4 can run on 87 octane. If it pings under load, or if you'll being towing on long trips, bump the octane up a couple of points for best performance.

A note on gas prices: Here in the Twin Cities, we do have a couple of stations that sell all octanes at the same price (with the price being about the same as what other stations are selling 87 octane for "usually"). I just paid $3.09/gal :banana: (http://www.twincitiesgasprices.com/index.aspx?fuel=C ) for premium on 3/24 at a station that I take my Outback XT. It's 10 miles from where I live though, 20 miles round trip, so I plan other errands accordingly to make it worth it.

A resource for your area:

http://www.lansinggasprices.com/

I run prem. in the SVX, and in the old BRAT. I feel that a few bucks now might save me a few bucks later. OH, and not just discount gas. I like to feed them some Cheveron or SHELL every now and again. Gas is a little cheaper here though. Prem. is at 3.49 at EXXON. I have noticed that the old brat runs better with 92 oct. and have only ran 92 oct. in the SVX.