Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, I came home last night around 11:00 and parked my 91 Turbo Legacy in front of my house, feeling proud to still be on the road after 217000 miles. I heard a whining sound about half an hour later coming from outside the house but dismissed it as sounds from the foundry accross the street. Well, I awoke to a dead battery this morning and could still hear a motor turning under the hood. My neighbor ended up loaning me her 93 legacy which was a much slower but smoother ride than my 91 - she is only at 95000.

Anyway, I jumped the car after work and figuered out that the ABS unit was running even with the car turned off. I disconnected the system and it corrected the problem - my brakes actually feel tighter now without the ABS. It is also worth noting that I've had some issues with ABS prior to this. My brake pedal would feel like I was hitting ice while sitting at a stand still at a stop light or something. I thought my wheel bearing was going and the movement set off the ABS process. I really don't understand how ABS works entirely btw. So, I have a few questions:

1. What is wrong with my car?

2. Is it safe to drive with the ABS disconnected?

3. Does anyone have the parts I will need to fix it?

I thank all of you in advance. This message board is awesome!

Scott :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi. The ABS relay is probably stuck. See info below. I won't say it is 'safe' to operate the vehicle with the ABS unit disconnected. However, not all vehicles came with ABS and the brakes will still work without the ABS unit.

ABS Relay Sticking (EndWrench.com)

Legacy, Impreza and SVX through 1996

If you encounter a case of the ABS hydraulic motor continuing to run or buzz when the ignition is off, and/or an illuminated ABS warning light and a Code 52 (faulty hydraulic motor and/or motor relay) stored in memory, follow these steps: Note: This condition may be intermittent and difficult to duplicate.

1. If the ABS hydraulic unit continues to run with the key off, confirm the trouble code, if any, and follow the diagnostic chart in the appropriate service manual.

2. Check the wiring harness to make sure it is not the source of the problem.

3. If you have determined that the ABS hydraulic control unit motor is indeed faulty, replace it with the modified relay, part number 26735AA012 (there will be a white line under the word “Japan” on the case). Always check part number supercession for any changes.

Does anyone know where the relay is located? And does anyone have one for sale?

Me!

Well I know it's in the front left (passenger side) if you move the air scoop there is a little black box. Loosen the front clip and lift toward the back and up. You will see 2 relays (and a resistor). The rear one has a plus sign molded in plastic on top.

This winter I had one throw a code and turn the pump on. I plan to buy both, new from a friend of mine at a dealership. I could sell my old ones or give you my friend's info. He needs about $75 for both, new. I'd sell you my old ones, as-is, for next to nothing but I wouldn't plan on them working forever. They are working now, but hate to sell anything that I had a problm with, even once.

Rude

• 1 month later...