Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL Hatchback - Timing Belts?

replacing your timing belts is a great first job on the subaru.

big big talking point, everyone has an opinion one way on whether to leave the covers off of the timing belts or to re install them. I won't get into the issues and arguments for either side, but if you know what you are doing, you wouldn't be the first to run with no covers. Sometimes they can be difficult to get off in one piece, and not having them on makes inspection or any future work in that area a much less labor-intense job. It is your choice, though; a simple search should yield plenty of debate to read that would bring up all points, and maybe even a horror story or two. Some cars run in environments where it is less of a risk, some cares might wind up in areas where you want them protected.

Thanks for the help and advice. I did buy the car, believe it or not it only has 69k miles on it and is in very good shape. Couple of rust spots that should be easy to fix, one power window switch needs replacing and some stains on passenger seat need cleaning, everything else seems to work fine, including the a/c. About 3k miles ago previous owner had CV joints replaced , new tires and alternator, a/c and alternator belts. 1.8l engine is not very fast but should get good gas mileage which is what I need in a commuter. Would like to find an owner's manual if possible.

Here's a couple of pics of the new ride. Picked it up over the weekend and have driven about 200 mi., so far so good.

07-12-07_1832.jpg

07-12-07_1829.jpg

07-12-07_1831.jpg

07-12-07_1835.jpg

07-12-07_1827.jpg