Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Adjust shift technique for AWD?

I was reading a site (link lost now) which said that some people have had problems with manual transmissions in AWD cars because they didn't adjust their shifting technique for the AWD.

Is there anything to that? I thought the idea was just to slip the clutch enough for a smooth acceleration without giving your passengers whiplash, but not so much that you wear out your clutch too soon.

The only thing i've seen is when the car gets in a spin in the snow. There has been suggestions about putting (throwing) the car in neutral while recovering from the spin.

The other thing ive seen thats been recent is in very low speed conditions on ice/snow while braking to put the car in neutral. This way the abs is not mistaking wheel slip for engine input.

Otherwise you just drive like normal.

nipper

Don't suck at stick when you're driving AWD. I tried it today - it's not forgiving like a 2WD car. The 2WD Lancer I drove was rather forgiving when it comes to shifting - the Turbo Legacy I was driving was not. It lurched bad when I put the clutch in and out at the wrong time.

Don't suck at stick when you're driving AWD. I tried it today - it's not forgiving like a 2WD car. The 2WD Lancer I drove was rather forgiving when it comes to shifting - the Turbo Legacy I was driving was not. It lurched bad when I put the clutch in and out at the wrong time.

well

Dont do that :-p

nipper

I couldn't tell if the lurchiness of the new car was me being rough or if it was the fact that there's hardly anything left of the clutch and it's slipping all the time.

It's been a long time since I drove an MT daily, and when I have a passenger I guess I'll have to get used to the idea of slowing and shifting before a turn, instead of flying in to it like a wild man, shifting quickly and romping on the gas coming out of the turn :burnout:

I've almost never owned an automatic. I hate them. Personally, I don't do anything different that I have with FWD or RWD. You just can't drop the clutch like you normally could. You either stall the car, or just burn up the clutch.

I think that the Subaru clutch feel is a little different than some other cars, but then I think almost every brand has its own specific clutch feel. It's not the AWD, IMO, it's just a brand feel. If you're slipping the clutch when you shift in order to be smooth, then you need to really focus and practice being smoother so that you're not slipping the clutch. Ideally, you should shift precisely the same as if you're not using the clutch at all (which you can do, BTW, but if you do it a lot you'll end up with a tranny that slips out of gear): match revs and roll on and off the throttle.