Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the EJ22 the bestest engine ever?

I'm now on my 3rd Subaru with the EJ22 in it, and everything I read makes it seem like it's one of Subaru's best designs ever. Seems like as long as you do normal preventive maintenance and don't abuse it while driving the thing will run forever. While other engines have endemic problems that will eventually need to be dealt with, the EJ22 seems to be relatively unafflicted.

Or am I just too much in love with my new car? :)

there are other threads about this "debate". "best" is so arbitrary of a word and subjective there's really no answer. the reason there's no answer is because the question if flawed.

the first major caveat...all things being equal (which is hard to do given other excellent engines are older and more susceptible to poor maintenance, bad condition, low oil, run hot...etc).

ignoring that fact...the EA81 could easily be argued to be "better", depending how you define that. it's more reliable. it doesn't have a timing belt, doesn't have timing pulleys to fail. it's gear driven, wow, that's bullet proof. but they're also gutless.

the EA82 is also a fabulous engine, capable of some sick mileages.

but the EA engines are older, it's harder to find them in great condition or low mileage. so while they may be just as capable, the ability to find one in great condition is much more difficult.

the EJ18 could be argued to be better for reliability because it's the exact same motor as an EJ22 but it has more material that theoretically may allow it to withstand more extremes.

there are also various forms of the EJ22 with minor differences. for reliability i would suggest a manual non-EGR EJ22 from 1995. it's a non-interference engine and doesn't have an EGR valve system to crap out on you. 1997 and up EJ22's are interference, if the timing belt breaks you will have internal engine damaged (most likely).

now if power is part of "better".....let the debate begin, there's no end to how long that discussion could last.

there are also various forms of the EJ22 with minor differences. for reliability i would suggest a manual non-EGR EJ22 from 1995. it's a non-interference engine and doesn't have an EGR valve system to crap out on you. 1997 and up EJ22's are interference, if the timing belt breaks you will have internal engine damaged (most likely).

I would add the non-EGR EJ22 from 1996 MY. Still non interference also.

That's the motor in my 96 Brighton.

EJ18 and EJ22 come in real close. But the differences are almost neglible besides displacement. Depends on how much you value efficiency vs. fuel economy. I personally don't think the power of the 22 overcomes the efficiency of the 18.

EJ22T would be the very bestest turbo engine ever. Runs forever in stock form, strongest block ever, etc. (Ahem, also blows all EA turbo engines out of the water)

All IMHO of course. :lol:

EJ22T would be the very bestest turbo engine ever. Runs forever in stock form, strongest block ever, etc. (Ahem, also blows all EA turbo engines out of the water)

All IMHO of course. :lol:

The EJ22T is a good motor, but it's not indestructible, or even the best engine Subaru has ever made.

Honestly, there isn't anything an EJ22T can do than an EJ257 can't do better.

Both the EJ18 and EJ22 are good engines though. There's no denying that. They can still take abuse that would have EA82s and EJ25Ds in a million pieces.

Honestly, there isn't anything an EJ22T can do than an EJ257 can't do better.

Go 300k without nary a problem? Jury is still out on that one.

EJ22T (and corresponding 2.0L block) is still the strongest OEM block, regardless of what you can do to the other ones to increase their strength (sleeving, pin cylinder walls).

IMO the EJ22T is in that sweet spot of strength/longevity. Way stronger than 95% of the engines out there and will outlast the same percentage without extreme abuse.

The EVO engine is fairly solid, but due to the performance oriented nature of the car and the idiots that drive them, I doubt we will see one with 300K any time soon. It's the 4G63 if I'm correct.

See now you're gonna bring a dsm into this discussion. They are quick cars, yes. The can take a beating, no. They will ever live to 300k with no major engine problems, not even if left stock and driven by a little old lady.

The EJ257 isn't 100% closed block - that's why it doesn't win compared to the EJ22T...

My comment was meant to say 22t>257. I wouldn't trade my mine(or my spare) for one.

My comment was meant to say 22t>257. I wouldn't trade my mine(or my spare) for one.
My comment was more directed at subyluvr2212. I was just adding to yours :)

subyluvr2212 is right that the EJ257 can do almost everything better than the EJ22T can, but it needs a lot of modification to do so.

I currently have the 95 EJ22 w/ 249k miles under the hood of my leg, I am 100% dedicated to transplanting a turbo motor once the 2.2 dies but I am stuck on wich turbo motor I should use and would be the easiest to swap, would the EJ22T be a direct swap and if so could I use the wiring harness in the car or do I need to switch the wiring with the brain?

No matter which turbo motor you decide to swap in, you will either have to integrate the new motor's engine harness and ecu into it, or run a standalone managment. For the legacy, doing that swap wouldn't be much different that what us ej converters do in the older stuff. Just less stuff that has to be engineered.

The only real advantage the 257 has is displacement.

And the fact that the 257 is a Phase II and the 22T is a Phase I.

And the fact that the 257 has MUCH, MUCH better heads than the 22T.

And the fact that while fully-closed deck has stronger cylinder walls, it also compromises cooling, while the 257's semi-closed-deck is a nice balance between the two.