Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what are they worth

sometime within the next year i'm planning to buy an '81-'87 brat or gl hatchback. i was wondering what a good price would be for one of these. i know the value will depend on the year and condition, but i just need to know an average price range. i don't want to pay too much.

no more than $3k for a really nice one.

I wouldn't pay more than that for an unrestored rust free brat. If its got rust, the value goes down a lot depending on where and how much.

Hatches are cheaper than brats. If somebody wants $3k for a hatch, it better have an ej in it and be immaculate, lol.

sometime within the next year i'm planning to buy an '81-'87 brat or gl hatchback. i was wondering what a good price would be for one of these. i know the value will depend on the year and condition, but i just need to know an average price range. i don't want to pay too much.

I payed $700 for a fully functional running 1984 Brat that I knew in time would require some TLC. It did have some issues and everything worked and minimal to zero rust, it worked great for 2 years for my son but now in garage slowly getting re-worked.

How much you spend is reflective of how wore out the Brat or Hatch will be, you can find some nice rigs for $2,000 with alot of stuff all ready done or $5,000 to 8,000. for a garaged, original with 70,000.

However; I always remember what a member posted about these cars, simply: "These cars are 20+ years old, they should be paying us to take them away!" With that mindset and a constant search you would be surprised what you can find out there.

One last thing, out at work I pulled in next to a wagon 2 years older then mine and found out that my boss had parked his 2003 Ford, bought a 86 Subaru Wagon, for $500 with, 30 mpg, a.c., manual trans, 4x4 and premo shape. Those are the deals that are sweet.

good luck find either here in florida, i see very few fore sale. most of the time it is a gl wagon. but good luck i will keep an eye out. welcome to the board btw. a fellow floridian!!!! :banana:

thanks for the info. about 3 years ago, i had the chance to buy a wagon for $500 and didn't get it because i didn't know anything about them. if had known then what i know now it would have bought it. it was in great shape, and all it nedded was a fuel pump. the body and interior was in great shape too. i guess i'll get a wagon if i can't find a brat or a hatch.

the title thing threw me off, and hearing that it has hot heat may indicate a poor radiator. Needs a belt for the AC to work? both belts go around the AC, thats a bit fishy too. The battery dying is probably just the parking light switch on top of the steering column being left on, not uncommon.. but dont tell HIM that or hes likely to want an extra 100 bucks or so, heh.

I would say, worth checking out. I kinda wanted to, but theres that little, 350 mile trip up I-95.......

the title thing threw me off, and hearing that it has hot heat may indicate a poor radiator. Needs a belt for the AC to work? both belts go around the AC, thats a bit fishy too. The battery dying is probably just the parking light switch on top of the steering column being left on, not uncommon.. but dont tell HIM that or hes likely to want an extra 100 bucks or so, heh.

I would say, worth checking out. I kinda wanted to, but theres that little, 300 mile trip up I-95.......