Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Definitely, AWD unless you want better gas mileage, then get the 2WD version. Up to '95 only the 1.8 engine which should be cheaper but is still a strong engine and has better gas mileage. EJ22 started in '95 I believe but I could be wrong. In the '97 model year the EJ22 FHI used became an interference engine (note I said model year, not manufacture date; I have a '97 which was built in 10/96 and has the interference engine:mad: ). I personally prefer the wagons but the sedan/coupe is just fine. Get a 5 speed manual since it has more control.

"best for your money" - EJ18 or EJ22 up to 1996 (non interference). a FWD manual would be ideal for reliability. manuals are more reliable than auto's and FWD is more reliable than AWD, FWD has no driveshaft, rear diff, rear axles, rear CV's, torque bind, etc... all of my subaru's are AWD, but i'm going to make a legacy with an EJ18 and FWD manual for summer road trip driving.

After 1996, no rear disk brakes on 1st-gen. Impreza, and no ABS except on OBS (but still with drums);

of course not counting the 2.5 "what's these bubbles in the coolant" RS.

On 1993-94 LS, you can have a factory sunroof!

First year wrx was 02. "The Bugeye". If you look around you can find them in the 5-7K range with high miles and probably not perfect tranny. They have a bad habit of breaking gears, and destroying synchros if the owner isn't careful with them.

You can find early model impreza's for under 1k just about anywhere you look.

Auto, 99, 4800

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/car/384615146.html

auto, 98, 3600

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/car/385302278.html

5SPD, 00 RS, cobb intake and exhaust, 4-pot brakes, 7000

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/car/384182490.html

5spd awd 94, 2000

http://saltlakecity.craigslist.org/car/374038030.html

Just a few of the cars listed on SLC Craigslist...

Well I might end up getting an Imp quite a bit sooner than I thought. In a matter of a week my Loyale has completley eaten all the oil that was put into it. Which was a complete oil flush and all the parts with it.http://cars.kbb.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-%7CE-%7CM-_45_%7CB-10000%7CD-_408_%7CN-N%7CR-50%7CI-1%2C5%7CP-PRICE+descending%7CQ-descending%7CZ-84107&aff=carskbb&paId=134681335&recnum=1&leadExists=trueI happened across this and I might be looking into it since I doubt my car will last much longer.

I just got my first job out of highschool and the bank I'm with want a minium of 6 months of established income before they even talk to you about it.

As for the ad it's what it would be if it were at a dealer and not private. I will still look into it.

It said it's at a dealer for $8. But you can always work with the sales people. If you go in well informed about what you are looking at. I've saved friends and family about $15k total in the last two years alone with some savy negotiating skills.

I already have done that for fun at the soob dealer acroos the street from my school wander over ask questions which I already know the anwser to and see if they know it. Also have family that is into cars also so I don't have a lack of knowledge or people from dealers. Dad was a mech at a toyota dealer for about 10 years.

Its always fun to mess with them when you can. Its rare for me to find a salesman who actually knows what he is talking about. My father in law is looking for an SSR, so far in the last week we've heard they are awd, and that the 03/04 year has a corvette engine.

The ej25 has it weak spot of head gasket failure. Granted its a small percentage, but its there. And your insurance will be higher on the RS model because f the performance stature. For rock solid reliability the ej22 is king for those years. And all the sporty looks parts are a direct bolt on. Only thing is for the 99-01 RS front bumper you need the bumper support beam as well. And if you got froggy later on and wanted real power ej20 swaps are getting cheaper.