Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A major break through (accidental) in car care!

I was preparing to wash The Pretty One's 'new' '06 Atlantic blue Outback yesterday afternoon. After squirting the usual dish soap and adding warm water to the bucket; I was led to add a couple cap-fulls of 'Spray-n-Wash' to the mix (hey, the bottle was staring me in the face on the garage shelf over the washer/dryer).

WOW! A no-wipe, perfectly spot-free car. To test the concoction, I washed the Barbie jeep, which being black is a notorious spotter. Same results.

Try it, you'll like it.

Dish detergants have additives (sulfactants) to prevent spotting. They also are made to remove grease. Grease is a close cousine of wax, so it will remove the wax also.

Dont let chemicals stare at you in the garage, its a bad thing.

An old-fashioned leather chamois (not synthetic) will prevent any water spots without damaging the paint and gives a great shine to chrome and glass too. You'd be surprised at what soap and water misses that the chamois picks up.

I just toss mine in the washer and dryer after each use. They'll last for years.

dish detergent is not really all that good for paint. repeated use causes the paint to be soft. if you do use it, remember to wax after to keep enough wax between the detergent and paint. as long as you dothat you should be golden. learned that one the hard way......damn