Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Torque Steer

I definition of torque steer is when your heading into a corner and your under steering, then you put your foot down and it pulls in tight and sometimes over steers. I.E. Torque induced steer. Thats what I call torque steer... Or is that something else?

Maybe this is why I can never understand how engine mounts can make bad torque steer.. :-\

ok ive got to stop kidding around here you guys are tooo helpful. i dont have a torque steer problem. torque steer is when you have to much power to your front wheels and it causes it to weave from side to side because of the unequal axels. i was only being funny at 2 am because our vehicles have 90 hp and are uncapable of torque steer. sorry was just kidding around but thank you all for your help anyways:clap:

YOU WILL BE SORRY!!! (shakes Fist at screen) I thought that somehow you got one of our cars to do it, the onlything my car does that is related to FWD is that it understears like a pig with the throttle mashed... very scary but true torque stear is even scarryer :eek:

check your ball joints and tie rods

I had a situation where my tie rod was a bit loose and when I accelerated it would hop to the right and I let off the throttle it would hop to the left.

BW

+1, especially check your ball joints.

My 91 loyale would do just what you're describing; pull to one direction when hitting the gas, then pull the other direction when letting off the gas. When I got the ball joints out, they just flopped around :eek:

-Dave

So weird. On both Top Gear (british) and yous guys (mostly american) you all talk about toque steer the same. Yet one of our best racing commentators here in Australia and a couple of other austrailians I have talked to know it how I do.. Plus when your talking about FWD Alfa's they all seem to know it how I do. Oh and when my brother had the Telstar Turbo and was on MX6.com they all talked about it how I know it.. Isn't it weird how different "cultures" know things in different ways then others? Oh well, back to looking for a range rover..

• 4 weeks later...
So weird. On both Top Gear (british) and yous guys (mostly american) you all talk about toque steer the same. Yet one of our best racing commentators here in Australia and a couple of other austrailians I have talked to know it how I do.. Plus when your talking about FWD Alfa's they all seem to know it how I do. Oh and when my brother had the Telstar Turbo and was on MX6.com they all talked about it how I know it.. Isn't it weird how different "cultures" know things in different ways then others? Oh well, back to looking for a range rover..

I'm British and Jeremely Clarkson is NOOOO authority on the technical jiggery pokery that makes cars go - He is a hilarious presenter who's approach to explaining the techy stuff is simply "mashing" the accelerator, grinning from ear to ear and telling you if the car under or oversteers :)

I hold the same view of torque steer as presented here - as learned from experience driving my first powerful transverse mounted engine car - My dream car of the time - the Vauxhall (Sorry, er, Holden!) Astra GTE.

It is to do with this axle length business and stems from the fact that a FWD car with a transverse mounted engine will have the gear box differential on one side of the car or the other. The result of this arrangement is that the driveshaft connected to the wheel on the gearbox side of the car is going to be shorter than the one going to the opposite wheel.

The steer effect comes from the fact that the longer driveshaft loses its ability to carry the torque along its length (I believe it actually twists slightly) while the shorter shaft delivers more of the power put out by the diff. So if one wheel has more torque than the other it is going to out-power the other wheel causing the car to turn. You can think of it in a similar way to how tanks steer - by stopping one track as the other keeps going.

On low powered vehicles this is not so noticable but when you stuff a monster in there, all the extra horses galloping on one corner will whip the steering wheel right out of your hands! - Alpha's are particularly famous for this - V6 on the front wheels indeed!

Steve

On low powered vehicles this is not so noticable but when you stuff a monster in there, all the extra horses galloping on one corner will whip the steering wheel right out of your hands! - Alpha's are particularly famous for this - V6 on the front wheels indeed!

Steve

Alfa, not Alpha. Sorry, my old man has a 66 2600 Spyder with a body by Pininfarina that he has had longer than he has had ME, so its kinda rooted deeply in my brain.

On the torque steer subject, my mom has a Mitsubishi 300GT SL, so yah.. V6 on the front wheels, INDEED!:eek:

YOU WILL BE SORRY!!! (shakes Fist at screen) I thought that somehow you got one of our cars to do it, the onlything my car does that is related to FWD is that it understears like a pig with the throttle mashed... very scary but true torque stear is even scarryer :eek:

Ever driven a Caddy STS? 4.whatever v8 yanking around a heavy car by the nose. First time I drove one, I almost put it in the ditch.

One thing a lot of people call torque steer is loss of traction on the front end. One of the top five reasons I hate FWD- when you stomp on it, and the tires take turns gripping the pavement or dirt, it yanks the wheel back and forth in a rather unpredictable way.