Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T oil cooler on XT-6

So Shawn, or Mr Awesome as some know him by, got me a sweet EA81 Turbo oil cooler.. Today I made a rather annoying attempt to put it on my XT-6. It's not quite done, but all I need are hoses and a way to mount the cooler, probably those pushy zippy thingys.

On with the show, Here's the "kit" stock

100_1656.jpg

First mod was to remove the old mounts and then I had to modify one of the oil lines.

100_1659.jpg

Then that fit ok

100_1660.jpg

So I made some room for the lines to pass through the duct on the PS of the radiator.

100_1666.jpg

And then I had to shorten the lines to the filter adapter and I got that mounted up pretty good...

100_1664.jpg

More pics tomorrow when I get it done.

Based on a system schematic that I have seen (I wont stand by the accuracy of it, but thought I'd mention it....) the cooler will do absolutely nothing without the turbo oil supply line hooked up. The aforementioned schematic shows that the cooler is connected in series with the turbo - so no turbo, no cooler. So you'd have to make use of the "extra" supply for this to be useful. Again, the schematic may be wrong..... wouldn't be the first time for an FSM.

Just need to pull the spring out of the valve I think. Unless its a thermo sensor...I cant remember either. But I do have the FSM EA81T manual on the shelf in front of me. Gee....I gues I will just stretch the ole arm out and.........get back to you:-p

Yup, its a thermovalve. You migh5t be able to pull it out and replace it with a plug. That should allow oil to pass thru.

I'm going to scan it and post a pic of the schecmatic. It may be a little more complicated than that.

Looking at the diagram for the oil cooler, you'll need to use the turbo supply line. The oil cooler cools the oil before it goes into the turbo. If you're not using the supply line for anything, when the thermovalve opens up, the oil runs into the cooler, and then... nowhere.

Its a good idea, but you need to add that turbo of yours for it to work properly.

+1

Just slap your Turbo on Phil and call it good :lol:

Just make sure you use pvc pipe and jb weld though out your turbo swap and you sould be good, along with maybe some dryer vent hose and you should gain an easy 50+ hp to the wheels!;)

Oh and ask Jeff for tuning advice for sure if you want that last little drop of power.:rolleyes:

Just make sure you use pvc pipe and jb weld though out your turbo swap and you sould be good, along with maybe some dryer vent hose and you should gain an easy 50+ hp to the wheels!;)

Oh and ask Jeff for tuning advice for sure if you want that last little drop of power.:rolleyes:

Doh!:o

so.... ok then, I'm not getting ay cooling at all? I'm sure I'm getting flow though... the lines are getting pressure(using the pincher test) and the engine hasn't seized yet... guess it'll be fine for the next month or so till it's more properly routed. Now riddle me this, does it at all limit current flow to the turbo? I didn't think that a turbo could take the full 80 psi of engine oil pressure.

so.... ok then, I'm not getting ay cooling at all? I'm sure I'm getting flow though... the lines are getting pressure(using the pincher test) and the engine hasn't seized yet... guess it'll be fine for the next month or so till it's more properly routed. Now riddle me this, does it at all limit current flow to the turbo? I didn't think that a turbo could take the full 80 psi of engine oil pressure.

yes there will be pressure, but there wont be any flow through it, and your engine oil supply will be unchanged.

It doesn't restrict oil pressure (apart from small pressure drop) to turbo that I know of, I believe they run on full pressure.... mine does, it runs directly off the pump where the standard pressure gauge is mounted on NA cars.