Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Justy Questions

I have the opportunity to potentially acquire a 5 speed 4x4 Justy since it is a fairly nice looking vehicle and my wife just rolled her eyes, but didn't say no. Since I am new to Subaru's period and know nothing about the Justy or the 3 cylinders. What is the deal with these cars? Good Cars or just a little economy POS? I know they are push button 4x4, is this still any good? Thanks in advance for any wisdom. Attached is a pic.

post-22578-136027624177_thumb.jpg

I just went out and looked at this one yesterday! I'm in St. Louis. I had a 91 FI 5-speed I wish I'd never sold.

Weak points: oil pump; hard to get struts, and maybe other parts too, I'm not sure. I love the great gas mileage coupled with 4WD. All in all I think they're pretty good cars and would love to have another one, but at present I have no money to spare to bid on this one, which I'd definitely do if I could.

This particular one's a little rough around the edges, but basically solid I'd say. Good tires, exhaust, and clutch. No A/C. Dealer says it runs fine. Minor and easily-fixed rust issues, inexpertly repaired. It idles rough, only when cold he says. He's driven it around with no problems. I think it needs a tuneup, maybe some carb cleaner.

I just went out and looked at this one yesterday! I'm in St. Louis. I had a 91 FI 5-speed I wish I'd never sold.

Weak points: oil pump; hard to get struts, and maybe other parts too, I'm not sure. I love the great gas mileage coupled with 4WD. All in all I think they're pretty good cars and would love to have another one, but at present I have no money to spare to bid on this one, which I'd definitely do if I could.

This particular one's a little rough around the edges, but basically solid I'd say. Good tires, exhaust, and clutch. No A/C. Dealer says it runs fine. Minor and easily-fixed rust issues, inexpertly repaired. It idles rough, only when cold he says. He's driven it around with no problems. I think it needs a tuneup, maybe some carb cleaner.

Yeah, thats the one. Just a question if I could Tom. About the AC. Does it have all the parts, just not working, or did it come without AC? (easier to fix AC than to try to install it new...)

Yeah, thats the one. Just a question if I could Tom. About the AC. Does it have all the parts, just not working, or did it come without AC? (easier to fix AC than to try to install it new...)

Came without A/C, sorry. Also EFI is preferred over carb, but I'd get it anyway.

I had a 90 5spd FWD Justy...used it as a newspaper delivery car...motor went at 98,000..the oil pump taking out the bearing thing..but it was a good little car. For the size I liked the fact it had the 13 inch wheels instead of the 12s like other cars that size had ( Ford Festivas). That little 3 cylinder could outrun the little 4s of the festivas and it would haul more weight with less arguement ( I could fit 360 Sunday newspapers in it ). It also survived hitting a deer on the highway at 65-70 mph. The only prob I had was having that bearing go..didnt have too much trouble finding axles or a clutch ( needed when I bought it ..for $500 from a dealer ..the same dealer I bought my Loyale )

Its been a long time but I believe the gas mileage highway was into the upper 40s..all I remember I could put $5 in it and drive all week..and $10 filled the tank ..but thats when gas was something like $1.50

I`m driving a 88 right now. It has it`s quirks, but nothing that can`t be fixed. Biggest thing in my neck of the woods is that it`s probably the only one left. Talk about a head turner. I`ve had numerous people approach me about it and lots of offer s for it.:cool:

I also owned an '88 FWD Justy for about 1yr. It was my first soob actually (my ex gf had a ea82 wagon tho that I had driven alot b4) and I would say as long as the dealer agrees to either tune it up (if it's a dealer car) or sell it real cheap, I'd say go for it! I'd be a little leary of messing around with one that was the electronicly controlled carb set-up if it's already having problems. As far as driving, it's the MOST fun I ever had driving a small car! I only owned one other car in that category, but I'd say you will never miss that 4th cyl. :burnout: and since yours would be 4WD, it might not get quite as good of gas mileage, but heck, keep it in FWD! I took my lil FWD in places so slick I couldn't walk! :lol: Had no idea how icy this logging road was untill I got out to check and landed on my butt promptly.;) If I had an opportunity to get annother one, I'd do it again. :headbang:

Get it dude... if it breaks while we're wheelin' we can put it in the back of my wagon to get it home :lol: :lol:

LOL, easy fit!

Seriously, if I can get it cheap enough, I was thinking it could be a great place to put those ATV tire and wheel setup! Almost as small as an ATV, probably not quite as capable but a HECK OF A LOT cheaper!

...if I can get it cheap enough, I was thinking it could be a great place to put those ATV tire and wheel setup! Almost as small as an ATV, probably not quite as capable but a HECK OF A LOT cheaper!

I see that his reserve is not yet met at $565.55 (odd bid). When I talked to him, he seemed to think it might go to $1500! I said that it might go to about $800, realistically. The dealer seems to be a good guy, but he does have an agenda that involves separating people from as much money as possible (not a slam on him personally, just the nature of the business). I don't know what his reserve is. I hope you get it, they are really cool little cars.

But get the oil pump issues addressed ASAP, just to make the motor last longer. You can check with the Justy forum on that topic: www.subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi

As for the carb, I doubt it needs anything but a can of carb cleaner in the gas tank, a new air filter and possibly a tuneup. Also, it is possible to stick a Weber carb in Justys: www.webercarburetor.com/Catalogpages/subaru.htm You want kit #K730 (not listed for Justys but it should work, with little or no modification to the aluminum adapter plate).

On carbed cars, always replace the fuel filter when you buy it and keep a spare in the car along with tools to change it out. Saved my butt several times, twice on long road trips. And of course keep a record of what/when you've done stuff to the car.

I see that his reserve is not yet met at $565.55 (odd bid). When I talked to him, he seemed to think it might go to $1500! I said that it might go to about $800, realistically. The dealer seems to be a good guy, but he does have an agenda that involves separating people from as much money as possible (not a slam on him personally, just the nature of the business). I don't know what his reserve is. I hope you get it, they are really cool little cars.

But get the oil pump issues addressed ASAP, just to make the motor last longer. You can check with the Justy forum on that topic: www.subarujusty.proboards20.com/index.cgi

As for the carb, I doubt it needs anything but a can of carb cleaner in the gas tank, a new air filter and possibly a tuneup. Also, it is possible to stick a Weber carb in Justys: www.webercarburetor.com/Catalogpages/subaru.htm You want kit #K730 (not listed for Justys but it should work, with little or no modification to the aluminum adapter plate).

On carbed cars, always replace the fuel filter when you buy it and keep a spare in the car along with tools to change it out. Saved my butt several times, twice on long road trips. And of course keep a record of what/when you've done stuff to the car.

Tom, thanks a million for the advise. I am thinking that I won't be getting it simply for the fact of the reserve, but I am keeping my eye on it. 1500 is too much for me to spend on something like this. For this much, I will get a good west coast Hatch and have it shipped.