Ultimate Subaru Message Board

starting to get sick of all the problems

I've had my 94 Loyale for acouple of years now and a ton of problems are starting to appear seemingly out of the blue. The wagon only has 55K miles, its 4wd and has 15" Pugs with 195/55/15s on it. Anyways, here are the problems:

1. The A/C / Heat fan only works on 3 and 4, I've fixed it a bunch of times by taking that little box thing out and resoldering the wires together but a week or so later it will stop working on 1 and 2.

2. Happened very recently that the whole block of DEF/HEAT/BILEV/AC seemed to crap the bed. I can still get heat and cold but I am just using the slider on the left to adjust heat/cold. The DEF doesn't work at all, nothing comes out of the def. vents. No fuses are blown.

3. Front passenger side axle has been giving me a ton of problems. At about 54K I finally had a re-man'd axle put in after noticing the old axel had a ripped boot and all the grease had flown out. The re-man'd axle seized up so I brought it back to have a NEW axle put in it. As of about 5 minutes I just found out that the NEW axle's boot ripped open and sprayed more grease everywhere. So I don't know if I should get another one or just say hell with it. The driver's side axle is fine.

4. As of about a week ago I found out the 4WD button no longer works. I used it last probably in early April to get through some snow. I have no clue what it could be, no fuses are blown and I don't hear the usual "clunk" of it engaging 4wd.

I don't really care if my fan and defrost don't work, but the axel makes me a little nervous and the 4wd not working just makes me mad. I'm leaving for college in september and I've just about had it with this POS. I have already torn this car apart looking for a small electrical short that kept draining the battery and I really don't want to go through it again to fix all this crap.

The 4WD not working and the vents not switching both point to vacuum problems. You have a vacuum leak somewhere. Both the 4WD solenoids and the hvac controls work off of vacuum. Check to make sure all the vacuum hoses are plugged in right, and you have no holes.

Fix the fan speeds not working by putting in a new resistor block. Post in the wanted forum. Someone's got one.

The axle problems are quite common. Get from a reputable brand (GCK), or order some remans from MWE. By reman, I mean they're practically brand new. MWE has a sale on his axles, look in the vendor forum.

Exhaust gaskets keep blowing out eh? Well are you using the OEM gaskets? Those are the only ones I've had that didn't blow out.

The problems you're experiencing are easy to fix.

I have had allot of similar problems with my loyale i have a 91 and a 92, they seem to have chronic ac and heat problems, i have taken some ni chrome wire and made new fan resistor coils, they get so weak its hard to repair, they use common steel bare wire, the wire i have is .015, .020, and .025 .it has worked for 3 years now. i think maby some thing is hitting the axle boot, like a brake hose bracket, or ebrake cable. or maby the axle re builder is using bad rubber parts . try turning it lock to lock and watching to see if anything is rubbing, i feel your pain brother

I had the same problem with exhaust gaskets...I actually had a partially stripped bolt..had it re tapped to the closest standard size and since then no problems ..I went through 3 sets of gaskets in about 3 months..I actually still have a set of gaskets left.

And I was thinking the same thing as Mike...sounds like you have a vaccuum problem

Look for a white cannister looking thing over on the passenger side of the firewall. Good chance one of its vaccum lines has cracked. lose this component and none of the interior vacuum powered switch will work.

Losing exhaust gaskets because the nuts are loosing. Have you tried brass exhaust nuts?

The boot is being ripped either because something is catching it after it is installed or it is ripped during the installation. Really the only 2 possible reasons.

I checked all the way around the boot and there are no obstructions. I really can't see any reason that boot would have torn, I checked it right after it was put in and then probably about 200 miles after it was put in and I didn't see any signs of wear.

There were acouple of loose vacuum tubes, so I tightened em and now all the heat/AC buttons work and I would assume that means the 4wd will work as well. Thanks!!

1. The A/C / Heat fan only works on 3 and 4, I've fixed it a bunch of times ...

2. Happened very recently that the whole block of DEF/HEAT/BILEV/AC seemed to crap the bed. ... ...The DEF doesn't work at all, nothing comes out of the def. vents. No fuses are blown.

3. Front passenger side axle ... the old axel had a ripped boot and ... the NEW axle's boot ripped open and sprayed more grease everywhere. ...

4. As of about a week ago I found out the 4WD button no longer works. ...

I´ll Try to Help you with This Kind Suggestions:

1. and
  2. : It Sounds like a Dead Electric Motor of the Blower... Just Swap there another one from a Junk Yard, I did that and then I repaired the Carbon Contacts of the Dead one, So I got a Spare one. You can do the same too.
  3. I solved that old problem using the Boot from the Inner side in the Outer Side, it not only solves the "Rippin´ Boot" Problem, it Also made the Grease to Stay in Longer... so, it even Helps to reduce the Axle Wear, Keepin´ the Grease inside.
  4. It sounds like a Vacuum Leak.

Good Luck! :burnout:

I think you're right; at 6oK miles, this heap has reached the end of its thirteen year lifespan.

You should just ship it down to me; I could use uhm.. the interior, thats it. Put nice plush interior on my car, yah... :rolleyes:

Well, most of the help has already been given. I will add that aftermarket axles that arent new GCK or rebuilt MWE are all crap, as are most of the boots available, and I know this simply from reading the experiences of others. I cant TELL you how many people had one passenger boot rip, and have as a result, replaced that axle with a crappy one (not their fault, hard to find the good one if you don't know about it) Now, they have gone thru 2 or 3 axles on that one side, without having issue with driver side.

The point about a possible bad cat was a decent one; two ways to check for clogged cat are:

1. if the cat is clogged, the exhaust pipes after the cat will cool off MUCH MORE rapidly than the cat and the Y pipe...

2. You can take a shop vac and stick the wand into the tailpipe. (with engine OFF :eek:) It shouldnt "suck up" like you put your hand on the hose; it should suck air freely thru the exhaust. If it changes the sound of the vacuum cleaner much, or if the hose sucks up, then thats a good sign of a bad cat.

Like Dalton said ^ ..My Loyale was pretty much trouble free for 3 and 1/2 years..it wasnt until the last year that things have been catching up to it...I had the same thoughts as you..car is at the end of its life etc etc ( and its still a baby by Subaru standards...15y/o and just 203K miles). But I know once these little things are worked out..it will be back to its reliable self

Honestly, most of those problems are from lack of experience and not knowing the tricks to fix the actual problem (as opposed to symptoms).

I know its frustrating, though, when stuff starts adding up.

The axle boot stuff can be a pain. Way back when I had my Brat (and didn't know about places like this) I had an axle done. Warranty to the rescue!! I went through 5 axles in a row on the same side. Boot kept coming apart.

And the exhaust gasket stuff... I had the same problem on one of my wagons. The nut was not holding tight enough, and I couldn't fix it right. The shop ended up putting in a new longer stud, double OEM gasketing it, and running two nuts up on each stud with locktite. Never leaked again. :)

The axle stuff is definitely a Subaru trait, but the other things are problems that would be found on any car that had a bad stud in the head or a leaky vacuum hose. Imagine throubleshooting a VW which runs everything of vacuum!

4. As of about a week ago I found out the 4WD button no longer works. I used it last probably in early April to get through some snow. I have no clue what it could be, no fuses are blown and I don't hear the usual "clunk" of it engaging 4wd.

I once had the same problem with my Loyale. Worked the first winter, then next winter no 4WD. With help from the Board I found the vacuum problem. The vacuum connectors for 4WD are on the driver's side firewall just behind the strut top. You'll probably find a loose vacuum line there.

I've been happy with the axles from www.cvaxles.com.

I went through a similar headache with my former wagon years ago. 5 halfshafts in a 1 year span culminating with one axle breaking at a covered up weld and another not having grease at all. The supplier was delivering badly cheapened products and the place that I had taken my vehicle to, got caught up in a whirlwind of libel suits, after a vehicle was involved in a fatal crash that pin-pointed these junky shafts as one of the causes of the accident. The only reason that I had to deal with this is because it was a lifetime gaurantee on the shafts, and I only had to pay a $60 labor charge which is worth it to me. The garage after this changed there policy to 1 year replacements.

The moral to this saga is that it makes all the difference in the world where you get your re-manufactured shafts.