Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Summer Project: Fix My Windows *Fixed W/ Pics*

The idiot before me on my brat broke the oem window cranks and instead of spending the $5 dollars to repair them, thought it would be great to take sockets and ratchets and press onto the roll down mechanism, stripping them out. The passenger side ratchet rolls down alright but the drivers side is gone, very stripped. Heres the pictures of my misfortune:

100_1541.jpg

100_1540.jpg

Most of you all remember my white brat that I bought a few months ago, the window cranks and roll down mechanism are in fine shape. Where in the world do I start by repairing these blasted things? Shannon gave me a good bit of advice, just wondering what the rest of the board has to think. Also going to snag the door panels off it since he ripped the door pockets off to make room for the ratchets.

Kyle.

Just a wacky thought: Rough up the surface of the stripped spindles with a file. Clean surface with acetone or rubbing alcohol. Apply fairly thick layer of JB Weld to spindle. Spray inside of handle with silicone spray. Press handle onto spindle while JB still soft. Allow JB to firm up for about 20 minutes. Pull handle off (maybe:eek:). Let dry, then replace handle onto hardened "teeth". With luck, you might have a usable setup without replacing the hardware.

i know what you meen. how hard is it to just geta new handle for ike u said 5 bucks. instaed lets use vise grips YA!! horrable horrable. if the doors are the same i say just swapp them over soo much easyer than pulling all the window crap out. just my 2 cents.

Would you want to put this door on your car?

100_0279.jpg

The mechanism is stripped out itself, the socket turns but the window doesnt roll down. I dont think that filing it down would be a good idea.

i have small hands, so it comes easier to me than to most.. BUT, usually window regulator mechanisms are NOT such complex and intimidating things as they may seem. Make sure you do this outdoors, with plenty of daylight, because there is no other adequate light source, period. Sometimes broad daylight isnt REALLY enough, shadows can make things trick if they are in just the wrong spot.

It shouldn't be very hard... Honestly. Just tryin' to give you some encouragement, along with the only advice that goes for all car makes and models: work in broad daylight.

Summer Project: Fix My Windows
Well if it's a blue screen of death, your screwed mate... You'll have to do a reinstall over the top. Or maybe even have to format your hard drive. If it boots but runs very slowly try downloading a spybot killing program, then make sure there are no viruses. If that doesn't fix it, try uninstalling as many programs as you can that aren't needed. And if that still doesn't work try the first thing I said. If it won't even boot into windows you'll also need to do this first thing I said.

:-p

Smartas$. :dead: Believe me, I am quite used to dealing with windows, editing vista now so it has the dreamscene capability.

The no rivet thing was the best news I had gotten all day, thanks. I am crazy excited to have the ability to drive through town with my drivers side window down, Crunk is going up 22%.

Smartas$. :dead: Believe me, I am quite used to dealing with windows, editing vista now so it has the dreamscene capability.

The no rivet thing was the best news I had gotten all day, thanks. I am crazy excited to have the ability to drive through town with my drivers side window down, Crunk is going up 22%.

I drove my datsun around for three years with no regulator in the driver door, and no interior panel on it.. when i NEEDED to put it up (rain, while parked) I had a wood 2x4 block that I stuck into a slot in the sheetmetal of the door that held it *just* so.

So, when I finally put a new driver door on, with a functional window, *I* was thrilled to be able to drive around with the window UP if for some crazy reason I wanted to (hot, no AC.. but in the rain, halfway is a nice compromise heh.)

Anyhow, good luck.

just swap on the window crank itself. none of it is reiveted in like some ford, its all 10mm bolts.

you can change the mechanisn without removing the glass. once you get the door panel off it's starign at you.

:banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Im snagging the door panels and everything off of it. One day ill have this BRAT restored to its former glory....I <3 This Board.

Is the upper half of the drivers side door panel that you're replacing any good??? I need one for my 84 brat.. Dark blue.. THX Bret

Its not in bad shape, ill see what things are up and ill shoot some pics your way of it.

No more having to go inside at the bank, drive thru here I come!

Anyone else done this same thing before?

just swap on the window crank itself. none of it is reiveted in like some ford, its all 10mm bolts.

you can change the mechanisn without removing the glass. once you get the door panel off it's starign at you.

I'm afraid that the only thing staring at you when you take off the door panel is the crank rod, and a bunch of metal. You've still got to take the window off its track and swap out the whole thing. I'd rather pull the window out so it doesn't get broken.

2007_08120004.jpg

Pulling the window off it's track is not nessecary. You only need to unbolt the crank assembly and slide it out. Just support the window and lower it carefully down, in it's track as you unbolt the crank mechanism. once the mechanism is loose inside the door you may have to adjust it to manuever it out of the door. You can always push the window back up it's track a bit to get it out of the way for clearance. It's tempered glass, it's pretty tough, just don't let it drop hard to the bottom.

Pulling the window off it's track is not nessecary. You only need to unbolt the crank assembly and slide it out. Just support the window and lower it carefully down, in it's track as you unbolt the crank mechanism. once the mechanism is loose inside the door you may have to adjust it to manuever it out of the door. You can always push the window back up it's track a bit to get it out of the way for clearance. It's tempered glass, it's pretty tough, just don't let it drop hard to the bottom.

+1.

Dropped the window in my Z many many times... never broke it. Replaced door with one with good window crank, yay!! for three months, window crank broke; was back to square one with same wooden block. One day, I dropped THAT piece of glass.. (not for the first time, but maybe the 2nd or 3rd) and it shattered. Replaced it with "unbreakable" piece from stock door, heh.

Treat it like you would treat a glass shelf out of a fridge for cleaning it, or a pyrex pan.

Thanks for the advice fellas. I am really excited and nervous about doing this. Glad that I can have the luxury of rolling a window down and scared that my window will be out of adjustment and wont roll into the track just right.

Shannon, in your picture I see 4 bolts; Is it safe to assume that its them holding the crank mechanism on?

Thanks,

Kyle.

Shannon, in your picture I see 4 bolts; Is it safe to assume that its them holding the crank mechanism on?

Thanks,

Kyle.

Yep, and there are two more on the window itself that hold it to the assembly. But you'll know them when you see them.