Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hello first time user need help 98 outback legacy

Ok. Yes I agree swapping the wires is fine. I was just wondering about if the spark plug pairs operate in series or parallel (kind of an unrelated/hypothetical question).

From the wiring diagram it looks like they operate in series, but that would mean if you pulled one plug wire while the vehicle is running, the other plug in that pair would stop firing.

nice crime work

but the joke is not up yet

help the kid out and see what happens next

still no fix for the problem ??

I have a feeling once the "Watchmen" see this thread the joke will be up...

To the OP, does the car have any symptoms other than the CEL?

Most large name auto parts stores will check and clear the codes for free. Might be worth a trip there to see if its just an old code still lingering.

Hm...question, on a H4 Subaru are the pairs of spark plugs connected in series or in parallel? if you unplug one of the plug wires, does the opposite cylinder stop firing as well? Like if you unplug #3 wire, does #4 plug not fire?[...]
They're effectively in series; do a search for "wasted spark" for details. I'd suggest not disconnecting a plug wire to verify this, as that can sometimes lead to insulation breakdown in the coil pack.

this problem was pre existant prior to changing the plugs. and wires

Hello I work at a subaru dealer and we had this issue with a 98 outback also changed plugs, wires and coil and reset the computer, then it came back on with the same codes so we did top end cleaner also, no luck there either. so with all that done we pulled the engine and had to replace some valves that went bad this is kinda wierd though usually you are looking at adjusting them, so good luck man hope it all works out, remember this issue was the same cylinders missfiring.