Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Horn, Clock and Hazard quit

Ok, I am getting my car inspected this week and was replacing the horn (horn would not work, but tested out voltage when button was pressed and got full voltage). I plugged the new horn in pushed the button, but no sound, Hmm, probably just got the wires backwards, so I switched, but still no sound. I did a voltage check, no voltage now. I checked the fuse, it is good, but everything that is hooked to that one fuse is not working (horn, hazard and clock). I changed fuses anyway, but no go.

I am assuming fusible link is out, but cannot seem to locate it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

ok, I think the fusible link box checked out, I had good voltage on all three links. I did not see anything on the windshield washer tank that looked like a fusible link. is there another fuse somewhere that I am missing? How difficult to just run a new wire to bypass the old one? The clock I can do without, the horn can be easily bypassed, but the hazard is the one that I am worried about since that is connected to too many things for me to rewire quickly.

any other suggestions?

horn, hazards, clock, and a few other things are all opperated through the same fuse. check that first, just under the dash.

~Erik~

Yep, thanks for that, it checked out ok, that was my first thought (as it is also the easiest). unfortunately, no go as the fuse is fine (I replaced it just to be safe).

Sounds like you've got way too many terminal problems with that car and you'd better give it to me...

Bwahhha. How did I know that I was going to get an answer like that from you???

You know how it is, if it isn't broke, fix it til it is. Everything was working good, hazard, clock etc, then I decided to do something simple like replace the horn and BAM! if this sequence keeps up, I will be replacing the camshaft before it is said and done!

Bwahhha. How did I know that I was going to get an answer like that from you???

You know how it is, if it isn't broke, fix it til it is. Everything was working good, hazard, clock etc, then I decided to do something simple like replace the horn and BAM! if this sequence keeps up, I will be replacing the camshaft before it is said and done!

Now the truth comes out:rolleyes:

Back track what ever you did to wire your horn up and I bet you will find your problem.

I cannot confirm nor deny anything...

seriously though, I unplugged the old horn to plug in the new one...that is all. It did not work, so I assumed that I plugged in the neg to pos, so I change it around still nothing, that is when I looked at the fuse, saw that it fused the hazard, clock etc so I checked these and none of them are working.

I have screwed around with stuff before that i had to undo, but there is nothing to undo here...or I would I swear!

ok, I noticed one more thing that might give someone here the info needed to help my sorry a$$.

everytime I press the horn button or the hazard button, the "fasten seatbelt" indicator lights up on the instrument panel. So this must mean that something happening as it is normally not lit, only when the hazard or the horn is pressed. There is no juice getting through to the horn wires now though as my voltmeter registers nothing even with the horn pressed.

ok, I think the fusible link box checked out, I had good voltage on all three links. I did not see anything on the windshield washer tank that looked like a fusible link.

Its on the radiator overflow, not the windshield washer tank. You checked three?? I have four. I suggest this: make sure you have a good fuse in the socket, Unplug your new horn(s?), turn the hazards on, and go wiggle each fusible link one at a time. See if your hazards come on. If they dont, after wiggling all fusible links, go check to make sure the fuse didnt blow.

If there is no positive voltage to either side of the socket for this fuse, then there almost HAS to be a fusible link discontinuity of some sort.

Check voltage on both sides of fuse 5 again and verify that there is voltage there. If there is then don't worry about the fusible link because that is upsteam of the fuse. If there is voltage there then check the voltage at the horn on the white wire and if you have voltage there then see if you can make the horns work by grounding the grn/blk wire on the horns.

If voltage isn't getting to the horns then check the connections to fuse 5 on the back side of the fuse panel to make sure they are ok.

Thanks all for your help and suggestions. I tried plugging the old horn in, no cigar (didn't think it would since I was getting no voltage, but I was going to try anything). pulled fuse panel and check for voltage, it was good on both sides. Fusible Link was good (I only have 3, there is a 4th one, but there is only one side to the 4th one (the one toward the front of the car), nothing on the outside). when I pulled the fuse panel, one side of the fuse for the clock, horn and hazard was not plugged in to anything and there was nothing close to plug it in to (because I figured that I might have pulled it lose when I pulled the fuse panel). I ran a new wire from the battery to that side of the fuse, and everything works except the horn (must have another problem there). Then I just ran new wires for the horn and hooked a separate button up for it.

one day when I am ambitious, bored or both, I will trace it down and hook it up to the original button, but for now, it works so I am done.

Again, thanks all for your suggestions for this minor thing.

Now I need to see if I can help Cobcob figure out his problem, but I don't know enough about subaru's yet to help...(Sorry cobcob)

good to see you got inventive and got it to work, thats the best method when life hands you a short wrench.

sounds like we werent a *ton* of help in the end anyhow, heh. the other fusible link is probably for my AC? that would make sense, most any car that makes it to the road down here at least has a broken air conditioner.. :rolleyes:

I ran a new wire from the battery to that side of the fuse, and everything works except the horn (must have another problem there). Then I just ran new wires for the horn and hooked a separate button up for it.

I hope you put a fuse on that wire from the battery. You really should have run it out of that extra terminal on the fusible link box.

I hope you put a fuse on that wire from the battery. You really should have run it out of that extra terminal on the fusible link box.

haven't yet, but will be, just wanted to get things working for now. Funny thing now is that after I hooked everything up and got it working. drove it around a bit. Got back home, ate, went back out and now it won't start (lol). No spark to the plugs, I do have voltage at both sides of the coil which is a good sign (I guess). I haven't had a chance to diagnose it yet, but it is probably either the distributor or (hopefully not) the timing belt. Either way, I now have a gremlin to search for...all because of a stinking horn!

Its on the radiator overflow, not the windshield washer tank. You checked three?? I have four. I suggest this: make sure you have a good fuse in the socket, Unplug your new horn(s?), turn the hazards on, and go wiggle each fusible link one at a time. See if your hazards come on. If they dont, after wiggling all fusible links, go check to make sure the fuse didnt blow.

If there is no positive voltage to either side of the socket for this fuse, then there almost HAS to be a fusible link discontinuity of some sort.

It might help if I gave the correct location for stuff:rolleyes:

Or at least give it the right name:-p

It might help if I gave the correct location for stuff:rolleyes:

Or at least give it the right name:-p

LOL, though that is what you meant, I was thinking, ok, I am very new to Subaru's but that sounds like an odd place for a part like that!

same here. speaking of which... have you changed the spark plugs??? :rolleyes:

(that was a joke at MY expense if you didn't realize)

haven't changed the spark plugs yet, I did change the spark plug fluid and greased both the left circumferential and the right horizontal muffler bearings which should be good for at least 5+ FWHP. Next I will be painting it yellow for an additional boost!

haven't changed the spark plugs yet, I did change the spark plug fluid and greased both the left circumferential and the right horizontal muffler bearings which should be good for at least 5+ FWHP. Next I will be painting it yellow for an additional boost!

This is good. You are doing the right things here.:rolleyes: