Ultimate Subaru Message Board

AWD Legacy making wierd noise at 40 mph!

1990 Legacy wagon AWD 4EAT EJ22.

Some torque bind issues (Duty C Solenoid), but I am not ready to crack open the tranny.

Just replaced a CV axle, which was making an awful racket. (I tried a quick boot, and the dang thing tore itself to pieces after about a week, and it was flopping around down there.)

Now that I am back on the road, I notice a weird throbbing, humming noise coming from the car when I get to about 40 mph. It sounds a little like the bad guy Sebulba's pod racer in the movie Star Wars Episode I. (Sorry, that's the only think I can compare it to :lol: ) Kindof a Wahwahwahwahwahwahwah.

I think the noise was there before, I probably just didn't notice it. This car basically just gets me to work and back, usually in traffic at speeds under 35.

It seems to be there regardless of engine speed and whether turning or going straight. Starts up at about 40 and still there at 50, and I am not going faster than that until I figure this out.

So, the question is, does this sound like something resulting from my torque bind issues, or is it more likely I have a bad wheel bearing or brake rotor or something?

A mechanic is out of the question right now, due to extreme lack of funds. (my wife lost her job, and although she is working again now, we fell behind on everything in the meantime).

Has anyone noticed a similar problem? What was it?

Failing that, anyone got any ideas on how to diagnose the problem?

Thank you for whatever advice you can offer!

Now that I am back on the road, I notice a weird throbbing, humming noise coming from the car when I get to about 40 mph. It sounds a little like the bad guy Sebulba's pod racer in the movie Star Wars Episode I. (Sorry, that's the only think I can compare it to :lol: ) Kindof a Wahwahwahwahwahwahwah.

I think the noise was there before, I probably just didn't notice it. This car basically just gets me to work and back, usually in traffic at speeds under 35.

It seems to be there regardless of engine speed and whether turning or going straight. Starts up at about 40 and still there at 50, and I am not going faster than that until I figure this out.

Well I replaced my front axle a few weeks ago, and I made a really stupid mistake. I didn't pinch the crown nut down tight enough over the axle. I may have called it the wrong name, but its the nut that basically holds the entire axle assembly together. It started to make a similar noise to what your describing at about 40, and so I quickly pulled off and popped the cover off the center of the wheel to find it barely threaded on. I may have misunderstood you, I wasn't sure if you meant you had changed an axle or not. If you have changed the axle, you may want to check that you pinched that nut down.

OMG!!!

I just sprinted out to check the spindle nut!

It's fine. I had done all I was supposed to do - torqued to 175 ft-lbs and peened over the locking rim.

I haven't had a chance to check anything else. I guess I will try rotating the tires, as nipper suggested, although I really don't get an idea that it's coming from any one particular place. I guess I will have to let the wife drive it while I ride shotgun and see if I can tell anything from the passenger side.

I will check the driveshafts, u-joints, etc. this weekend, when I can do it first thing in the morning before it gets so dang hot!

OMG!!!

I just sprinted out to check the spindle nut!

It's fine. I had done all I was supposed to do - torqued to 175 ft-lbs and peened over the locking rim.

I haven't had a chance to check anything else. I guess I will try rotating the tires, as nipper suggested, although I really don't get an idea that it's coming from any one particular place. I guess I will have to let the wife drive it while I ride shotgun and see if I can tell anything from the passenger side.

I will check the driveshafts, u-joints, etc. this weekend, when I can do it first thing in the morning before it gets so dang hot!

Yea you know I made a really stupid mistake so its not a surprise that wasn't the issue for you. Sometimes I need to slow down a little. Hope it gets worked out man

-bill

This sounds like DOJ failure. Same symptons as the 86 Hatchback I had a few years ago. I would inspect this closely as well.

+1

I just had this problem on the SVX. The passenger/front was leaking through a loose clamp, rather than replacing the clamp when I saw it, I put it off and had to replace the shaft a month later :rolleyes: