Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I would like to thank y'all..

Thanks to this forum and its linked resources, I was inspired to do more than just the usual "baling wire & duct tape" repairs to Sue, my '89 GL wagon beateru..I've owned her since 1997, and for the first time in all that time, her EFI is now flawless (NO CEL! WOOHOO!), her brake pedal is oscillation-free, her wheel bearings are ALL new, and she feels like she's ready for another three hundred thousand miles..

This place ROCKS!

:headbang:

Always a great feeling when you get to that point with a car...Only one thing to do...find yourself another Sube...

Seriously, it's smooth sailing now. Hopefully you've taken notes along the way, and you can do your preventative maintenance at the right intervals. Good cheap reliable transportation - that's the epitome with these cars...And if they take it easy on the salt up there, 100K will be a piece of cake!!

good luck,John

A hundred k? She's already pushing 300K! (280-something, but she was minus a speedo cable for a couple years there..)

:-p

A little story:

It's late October in 1997, and our hero Doug is a parts guy at the local Toyota dealer who rides his motorcycle EVERYWHERE, doesn't even own a car other than a vintage front-engined dragster (that's another story)..it's a Thursday evening and the dealership is open until 9:00 pm, but our hero only has to work until six..

Six o'clock rolls around, and our boy dutifully suits up in his leathers & helmet and jumps on his trusty (and cute, and quick!) '71 CB500 for the ride home..it's a nippy 30-something degrees out, and the thought that it might be almost time to park the bike for the winter crosses our intrepid parts-geek's mind.

As he pulls around the corner of the service building, he discovers that the new service porter (porters are clean-up guys, for those of you who don't speak dealership) apparently hadn't been schooled in the concept of "floor drains"..our hero promptly lowsides his Honda and slides about seventy-five feet on the skating rink that's been created when said porter squeegee'd the mop-water out the door into the parking lot..

Luckily(?) a new Celica stops our hero before he slides all the way into the street..

Contemplating a twenty mile ride home with a sore body, a broken shifter, and no clutch lever, our hero walks in to the used car department and says "What's the cheapest running POS you've got on the wholesale lot?"

Twenty minutes and seven hundred bucks later, he walks out with keys and plates for his as yet unseen '89 Subaru GL wagon..

Thus are perfect matches made..

Sue has outlived/outlasted three race cars, two tow vehicles, seven streetbikes, one dragbike and one roadracing bike..and all I've ever done to her up 'til now is what HAD to be done to keep her limping along. Then I found this site and started thinking maybe she deserved a little more..

Awesome story...and isnt it funny how certain ones are fine with just what needs to be done to keep them going...never complain ..always there when you need them..even when there are problems they just happily try their best to do what you want of them...Sounds like Sue was cut from the same mold as Bucky.Also sounds like Sue is happy she is with you or she wouldnt be there for you every time you ask

"Keep her that way, and she'll be around long enough to see your grandkids hopefully."

Hmm..I don't see any grandchildren in my future, unless some ex-girlfriend has been keeping secrets..

:eek:

I live a little too much on the edge to be a daddy.

How about great-nephews & nieces instead? (Actually, already got a mess o' them..)

Oooohhh.... well, great nieces and nephews it is then!! Hopefully I can figure out why my sedan is running like crap (funny, it starts acting up the day I get another car) and it'll be around just as long.

Jealousy perhaps? Remember these cars are mostly female by nature...