Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1993 leg wgn sunroof leak, where are drain holes?

have read the numerous threads about the sunroof leak problem and was going to try and clean out the drain holes but cant seem to find them? anyone have pics have where they are? i open the sunroof all the way but still cant seem them.

also, the control doesnt work the way the owners manual says it should, when closing, i have to keep the button pushed the whole time, the manual says to push once and it will go half way, stop, and then you have to push it again...possible connection with the leak? dont see how but ya never know :)

thanks!

sk,

Don't know about '93s, but my '95 sunroof works as you describe. Hold the switch and it closes about 2/3 of the way. Let up and hold it again and it closes all the way.

Never fiddled with the drain holes, but am interested in the responses.

Steve

have read the numerous threads about the sunroof leak problem and was going to try and clean out the drain holes but cant seem to find them? anyone have pics have where they are? i open the sunroof all the way but still cant seem them.

also, the control doesnt work the way the owners manual says it should, when closing, i have to keep the button pushed the whole time, the manual says to push once and it will go half way, stop, and then you have to push it again...possible connection with the leak? dont see how but ya never know :)

thanks!

The drain holes are at the front and rear sides, and no you can't see them, at least I can't.

I *think* it's "pull the headliner time", mine is out in the yard sealed up with draft stop (kind of a silicone sealant that is easily removable) waiting for the time and patience to fix it.

There is also a dealer "paper" on re-sealing the rails that the sunroof rides on, as a leak can be caused by an un-sealed rail, of course, headliner removal time again.

Did I mention how much I hate sun roofs?

firstwagon

but you had to take the headliner out right?

Nope but it will depend where the block is I guess. I stood beside the car and threaded under the tracks of the sunroof. Dirt and crud had built in the channel so I cleaned it best I could, poked the holes (hard to see or find) and poured a little water in to test it. Worked fine. No leaks since and we've had a lot of rain the summer.

If it's blocked further down then you might have to do it the hard way.

note: my deflector is not attached. One of the rods broke a couple years ago and it got crunched with I closed the sunroof. Don't seem to need it so I never replace it.

My last OBW, an 02, had the dual sunroof with the front tilt up section inoperative, so I dropped the headliner to save the dealership costs of removal and replacement. This is a time consuming job, but not outside the skills of even an average DIYer. And with the wagon, once the headliner is dropped it easily goes out the rear tailgate. That said, the draintubes are at the very ends of the sunroof tracks which just bolt to the roof superstructure. The front ones can be easily reached with an open sunroof, but the rear drains will be as far back as the is the width of the sunroof from front to rear. In a dual sunroof car there are actually 6 drains, with a set in the middle. I'm sure one could reach the front drains fairly easy, but the rear drains will require a coathanger probe at least 2 feet long and you'll be doing it blind. With the headliner dropped and out of the car, cleaning the drains is a snap. In fact, at least on my 02, the sunroof rail drain ends were plastic, as were the drain tubes. To prevent them coming loose I even put metal clamps on each one as insurance. Should you decide to go this route, check the archives for sunroof repairs as there is a step by step procedure for dropping the headliner. Good luck!

problem is the car is my dd and i dont have a half day much less a full one to be futzing with the sunroof..especially since its suppose to rain off and on all week here in seattle..have had the car for over 3 weeks and ran it through the car wash a few times and it didnt leak...why now i wonder?

Had another thought. If the minor leak is through the headliner and comes out by the overhead reading lights, there was a TSB (forget the year) that traces the source to caulking of the sunroof opening. Where the steel roof is rolled down to create the sunroof opening and spot welded to the inner roof superstructure (this is on the sides of the sunroof opening and about 2 inches from the front) the factory was supposed to apply a caulking. In some cars this was left out, and on others it was applied. In either case, over time spider cracks occurred in the paint, not visible unless you look very closely and even then a magnifying glass was needed in some cases. What happens is that most water going past the seals of the sunroof made it into the drains but some was wicked into these fine cracks and over time made its way into the headliner draining at the overhead reading lights and sunroof switch. You never got a lot of water but several drips onto the seats especially when taking corners, and the reading light lenses always showed moisture on the insides. I fixed mine by thinly coating the rolled metal edge of the sunroof openings on the sides with a five minute epoxy. I then used touch up paint to hide the epoxy. As well I gave the headliner several days out of the car to dry out. My problem never again reppeared after that. hope this is of some help.

• 3 weeks later...

the drain holes are located in the very front corners of the sunroof and there also some in the very back of the sunroof. never had any problems with the rears one. when i had a leak i tryed clearing the drain hole and couldnt get anywhere so i pulled the part of the inner fender out where the drain tube run and found a large build up of dirt in there. cleaned it out and havent had a problem since. ill try to post a pic of the drain holes later today.

please do as i have opened the roof and tried to look from inside the car, outside looking in, took off the deflector to see if that would help, either i am really blind or they are covered up

i thought they drained in back of the mudflap?

And have you seen how much crap collects back there?

In a 93, the drain hose may even stick out of the rear of the fenderwell (the plastic piece that defines the inside of the wheelwell) towards the rear of the front wheels. If you have compressed air, and do not want to drop the headliner, you can blow the dirt out from the bottom. It will, of course, collect in the tray. One other point is that the drain hoses sometimes come loose from the tray, causing the tray to drain right onto the headliner. Your best bet at this point is to drop the headliner and inspect before trying to fix a situation you are not sure of the nature of.