Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy alternator in an Impreza?

Nipper's post about the $61 rebuilt alternator made me think that maybe I can use it successfully in my Impreza. The factory rebuilt alternator for the Impreza is more than three times as much.

Does anyone *know* if it will work, or why it wouldn't? As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the one for the Legacy puts out 85 amps while the one for the Impreza only puts out 75. I don't think this should be a problem since the components will draw only the current they need.

The only other spec I can think of that needs to be checked is the regulated volatage, which the FSM specs at 14.5+0.3/−0.4 V. Does anyone have access to the FSM for the Legacy to check that voltage?

Nipper's post about the $61 rebuilt alternator made me think that maybe I can use it successfully in my Impreza. The factory rebuilt alternator for the Impreza is more than three times as much.

Does anyone *know* if it will work, or why it wouldn't? As far as I can tell, the main difference is that the one for the Legacy puts out 85 amps while the one for the Impreza only puts out 75. I don't think this should be a problem since the components will draw only the current they need.

The only other spec I can think of that needs to be checked is the regulated volatage, which the FSM specs at 14.5+0.3/−0.4 V. Does anyone have access to the FSM for the Legacy to check that voltage?

You need to check whether it would bolt-on and line-up correctly on your bracket. Subaru has a couple of slightly different configuration over model years that won't necessary swap in easy in another application.

Are you sure the price of a rebuilt Impreza Alt is 3-times as much? I'd call Jason at Mike Scarff Subaru in WA to confirm that. That's where I bought my rebuilt for my 96 OBW for around $65 with core exchange. I just can't believe there would be much difference for the Impreza for a Subaru OEM rebuilt.

Mike Scarff Subaru (Jason in parts)

Phone: 866-528-5282

Email: jdouglas@mikescarffsubaru.com

Online Inquiries: n/a

Product Notes: OEM Parts - New

I didn't realize that the brackets had changed. The 2.2L in my 98 Impreza sure looks just like the 2.2L in my old 95 Legacy.

And yeah, that price difference surprised the hell out of me too. I don't know how they reman the one for the Legacy for $61, but I figured I'd take advantage of it before they wise up or run out. I don't even know that I need one now as it's putting out 14V at idle, but I'm sure I will need one and at that price I'd rather have a spare on hand then get forced into buying an inferior part locally when it does die on me.

That particular reman alternator is probably so much less expensive because of the WXX-81 campaign for some 1996 through 1998 Subaru Legacy vehicles that may experience a loss of alternator charging due to a broken brush wire. That involved a lot of alternators so the price is less due to the quantity involved.

As far as I know the brackets haven't ever changed on an EJ subaru. The plug has, but all that means is you have to do a little wiring.

WRX alternators are 75A, STi alternators are 90A. It would be nice to have a list of how the amperage varies between them all. There are places that will sell a HO alt for $200-400 as well, like Ohio Generator and Mean Green.

I didn't realize that the brackets had changed. The 2.2L in my 98 Impreza sure looks just like the 2.2L in my old 95 Legacy.

according to www.car-part.com a 97 - 98 impreza will work or a 98 forester.

i'm syrprised by the 2.2 to 2.5 leap. and why wouldn't a 2.5 L forester fit a 98 outback.

try searching for the part a autozone and see if they list it for other years. or search both years and see if the part numbers are the same.

95 legacy altenator fits 95 - 99 legacy / outback, 2.2L and 2.5L. it looks like the legacy altenator is heavyier and 10 more amps, no other difference.