Ultimate Subaru Message Board

7 year sit

I was thinking about looking at an ea71 that has been sitting in a garage for 7 years. I was under the impression that it is hard on the car to have it sit in the same spot for a long time.

What should i keep in mind when looking at this car?

What should be done if i buy it?

Wow 7 years! So since it's been inn a garage. It should be better then sitting outside. But i would check fluids Trans, Engine Oil, Vac lines, Fuel lines, Anything rubber!

And as for fixing it. You will need new T-belts, V-belts, Rad hose, Full tune up, And anything else you can think of! Now is it just a motor or a hole car? What ever it is. Check everything!:) Ok...

Hope i did help you out! Tom...............

not to step on toes but I believe the EA71 does not have timing belts.

Be prepared to replace every seal, gasket ,hose, etc...sitting is bad causes dry rot..tires also...brakes will probably be seized...also you would have to drainALL fliuds and replace. check for rodent nests cause even though it was garaged they can still get into it and do alot of damage to the electricals

No don't worry your not stomping any toes!:lol:

Yeah just like she said. The Brakes will be sezed, You figure even if it's in a garage you still get moister and then that tures to rust. And all seals will be crap! So it'll be some work!

So what is a EA71? What vehicle is that?

Tires wil be shot. There is a chance you may have wheel bearing issues, but soobie wheel bearings for those cars are so over designed.

Rubber hoses may be an issue.

Critter damage may be an issue.

Try turning the engine by hand first to make sure it will spin. Squirt oil in all the cylinders and hand rotate.

GAs will probably be icky, but strange things may happen (like ti fires right off).

Frozen parking brake.

At the very least change the oil first and a new fuel filter.

nipper

I'm looking at an ea-81 Brat that has sat since 1999 , put in some fresh gas , cleaned the carb , jumped the starter ( due to a bad starting portion of the ignition switch ) and it lit right off , drove it around , so far so good .. does need tires something fierce though. This one sat outside. Sometimes you get lucky. I would definitely follow The Loyale's advice as to the fluid changes ( as oil can become acidic as it deteriorates ) and the checking of tune up parts and rubber parts.. Good luck ! sounds like a neat find.