Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Timing belt question, new guy

Hello I'm new here but not to Subaru's. I just bought a 1994 Loyale 1.8 non-turbo with 166,000 miles on it. I am planning on changing the timing belts next weekend. I see the timing set that some of you bought on ebay for like $80 or so, was going to get that a new water pump and seals, and a new oil pump and seals. My question is this: on a 1994 the Chiltons page 3-44 manual says 1993-1996 1.8 and 2.2 engines have a single belt for timing. Is that a misprint?

Thanks Jason

Hello I'm new here but not to Subaru's. I just bought a 1994 Loyale 1.8 non-turbo with 166,000 miles on it.

Look for a label on the bell housing near the heater hoses. If the number is EA82xxxxxx it is a 2 timing belt engine. I don't know about the Chiltons manual, there is no substitute for a factory service manual.

You need a different manual. The model you have isnt covered in the one you have. Find a 93 or earlier.

You have a Loyale, which is a EA82 engine. It has 2 belts and can be confusing for the first timer(sometimes oldtimers too).

Heres a link to the procedure for doing the timing belts.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50768

My question is this:the Chiltons page 3-44 manual says 1993-1996 1.8 and 2.2 engines have a single belt for timing. Is that a misprint?

Thanks Jason

Subaru has actually made 3 different engines with displacment of 1.8 liters, breaks down like this.

81?-84, and 85-89 hatchback and Brat have whats an OHV(no timing belt)1.8 designated and cast with the number EA81

85-94 Wagons, sedans, and 3door coupe use an OHC 1.8 with 2 belts designated EA82. It is essentially an adaptation of the EA81. An improvement, but not much really. This is the engine you're Loyale has.

Both of these types where generally reffered to as "L-series" around the rest of the world, regardless of the name in each country.

93-96 Imprezas got a totally new generation of motor, with a single timing belt, Designated EJ18. It shares basically everything in common with the 22(EJ22) and shares basic block with even the newer 2.5 and 2.0 liter engines.

So you see, in almost every year, there are 2 possible Subaru 1.8 liter motors. Add to that Subarus pension towards calling all there cars in a year either 1800's or GL(in 86 Brats, hatches, Wagons, Sedans, Coupes, and even the XT, where also either DL, GL, or GL-10:confused: )

Then in 90 they stopped with the hatches and brats(ea81), and everything got easy for a while. The EA82(Wgn,Sdn,Cpe) became Loyales and where the only model with 1.8 liter besides the XT(which also share chassis and engine with loyale) so everything was easy.

Then in 93 with the introduction of the Impreza came the brilliant decision to make the trim designation of course what? ....... L Adding to the confusion. Yet another L model with a totally different 1.8 liter.

Oh and Haynes books suck