Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pre-buying jitters...

Ok guys and gals... tomorrow morning around this time I'm scheduled to be laying down cash for a 1982 Brat mentioned in some other posts around here CLICKY... I've got the pre-buy jitters here, having a 4 month old daughter and my wife no-longer working I can't afford to have my daily driver break on me.

The Brat seems, for all intents and purposes, to be the most practical as well as economical choice.

I'm not at all concerned about the vehicle mechanically speaking, it's the rust that has me a bit worried. I've read the website about the repair to the fenders in the bed, I'm unsure of just how much rust is too much though. The Brat drives just fine and it doesn't look like the rear shock supports are going to come through the bed any time soon. Is there any where else that I should be looking to find bad rust? it's been suggested that I pop the covers off the compartments in the side of the bed to check in there but I was wondering about floor rot etc in the footwells...

Also have read that a lot of parts will not interchange into the '82 Brat so I don't wanna get stuck in a situation where I can't get parts that I need.

The vehicle was in Billings Montana for a lot of years, unsure of where it was before that. Current owner is the 3rd owner.

Did you buy the Brat?

How did the rust look?

I can sympathize with the pre-buy jitters kind of thing...

as for rust... sounds like you got a good understanding of it...and sometimes have to walk away if it's too bad.... but we don't have rust issues ...to bad anyway... in this area.

Don't get me wrong, Brat's are awesome (Mine's an 85), and please don't take this the wrong way, but if you have a kid, a wife and limited income then I don't think an 82 *anything* is right for you - and most especially not at that price.

Brat's are just like all other EA81's - they are carbed, and the stock carbs are finicky. The wireing in them generally sucks nuts, and while the EA81 engine itself is bulletproof you can't say the same for either the 4 speed or the 3AT transmissions that were possible.

And the price being asked is outragously high for a DL. They simply aren't as desireable - no fun-tops, no tach, no oil pressure gauge (this killed a LOT of them off), no dual range, etc, etc.

I'm not trying to pee on your donut, but cmon man! I just picked up a low mileage (132k) 94 Legacy that needed a water pump for $750. Probably an exceptional situation as she really didn't know what she had, but I see them all the time in running condition for the price you are paying. AC, heat that works, and power steering are really nice things to have..... take it from someone that did what you are doing - I bought the Brat first and am only now, after many uncomfortable years in beaters, getting something that I can actually not be ashamed to pick up friends in. Plus it allows for restoration of the Brat....

GD

having a 4 month old daughter and my wife no-longer working I can't afford to have my daily driver break on me.

I just re read the previous posts about this BRAT, and I can't say that I found that information in any of it.... It DOES kind of cast a different light on the situation. "can't afford to have a daily driver break on me" are STRONG words... One of the reasons this is such an acceptable deal is the inclusion of the spare parts, which adds to the "reliability" factor somewhat but user maintenance and occasional repair ARE taken as granted in that scenario...

So how strongly did you MEAN the statement that I quoted above? It wouldn't be too far out of the ballpark to say that if you REALLY feel this way, you are DEFINITELY looking in the wrong decade; at least the wrong END of that decade. Especially with almost 200 on the clock.

It IS an appealing prospect and I don't want to dishearten you; I would feel the same way about the car. But if it isn't too late to re consider, then IMHO at least, you need to weigh your meaning in the above quote.

I kinda agree with GD on this...if you want the Brat for a toy..go for it but not for a DD. You can find LOTS of good Legos for cheap...sometimes even an Imp ( I got mine for free and 228K and runs like a top...she is my DD now)Also the Legos and Imps are easy to get parts for..I find getting parts for my other 2 ( my Loyale and XT6) even getting simple tune up parts it can be a week wait

Thanks for the _LATE_ input there guys :)...

It is appreciated and I do understand the points made. I went ahead and bought the Brat yesterday morning, my concerns about an immediate break down have been calmed somewhat having driven it 80+ miles since then. There's no oil leaks at all, the trans isn't making any undue noises, the EA81 purrs like a kitten and there's no TOD at all.

There may well be a lot of Subies out there for a lower price but not anywhere near where I live! I've seen 1 other Brat on the road, a beat to hell 1st gen, and a couple of wagons (hyrysc's being one of them) so in this part of the world, ANY Brat is pretty rare. (I managed to get him down to an even $2000 also)

The issue in terms of break downs is more looking at the next 2-3 months and having driven the Brat more now I'm confident that I won't have any problems with it in that time frame. The 'Can't afford to have my DD break on me' is a time thing rather than a cost thing. I can afford to put up some $$$ for repairs if needed, but I've only got 3 vacation days left this year so repairs would have to wait for a weekend which means driving the wife's SUV or having my wagon running.

I ran through all the options, including sourcing something out of the PNW, flying out there and driving back but I just don't have the time to do that so I've gone with what is available.

I'm very happy with it so far (only day 1 of course) and I'm planning on doing everything possible to keep this baby on the road for as long as I can.

and there's no TOD at all.

I'm sure you'll be learning as you go, but first thing to learn is that the 82 EA81 has no hydraulic lifters, so it can't tick. It will making "clacking" noises once warm if the rockers need ajustment. Valve rocker adjustment is called for every 15,000 miles on the EA81 solid lifter engines.

Also of note - the 82 and earlier EA81's have 2mm smaller intake valves, and as such are rated for 73 HP instead of the later 74 HP of the "big valve" heads. Speculation goes that hydro lifter engines are around 80 HP although Subaru never really said anything about that. All hydro EA81's are big valve, but not all big valve's are hydro's....

Oh - and the hydro EA81's never tick either - due to the lifters being in the block rather than the head, they are much closer to the oil supply, the pumps are not prone to sucking air, and there's no cam tower o-ring to fail and no cam spray bar with associated relief spring, etc. And the lifters are a different design as well.

GD

I'm sure you'll be learning as you go, but first thing to learn is that the 82 EA81 has no hydraulic lifters, so it can't tick. It will making "clacking" noises once warm if the rockers need ajustment. Valve rocker adjustment is called for every 15,000 miles on the EA81 solid lifter engines.

Thanks GD, I had read of the no hydraulic lifters a while back but until yesterday I didn't have an EA81 so I was focusing my reading on the EA82's. I guess I'll dust off my PDF of HTKYSA tonight when I get home and read up on the adjustment...

I'll put a rocker adjustment on the top of my list of things to do in the near future, planning an oil change on Saturday as well as taking some time to poke around the engine bay and get familiar with that side of the hood

Good to hear about your purchase with the Brat and happy... so far...

Good to hear it isn't a daily driver/must have kind of thing... we kind of all got that in your posting and concerned... as... at this age they all have issues and not the best choice for young couples needing dependability etc...

My first Subaru (a Brat) I bought, I was a mess after I signed the title I turned to my wife and said, "I don't even know how to work on these things!, What if it breaks down?".. and she replied, "Enjoy the ride till it does!" The Roo's and I have learned alot in the last 4 years.. (never regreated my purchase...been great experience.)

Enjoy the ride!

I certainly trust the Brat a lot more than I do my wife's Isuzu Trooper! I've got a good background in engine repairs, everything from 1981 Mini Mokes to 1966 Honda S600 Roadsters, Chevy V8's, Ford small blocks, Mazda V6's and the list goes on. I'm certainly no stranger to an engine bay and I don't get too easily intimidated by launching into what others would consider 'major' engine work...

I've driven her to work the past few days and am learning the little quirks (don't try to hit 2nd very quickly, it'll go in but with some additional noises).

Listened to her when I arrived at work this morning after a 30 mile run and based on that I'll be doing a valve adjustment this Sunday afternoon providing I can get some valve cover gaskets...

I certainly trust the Brat a lot more than I do my wife's Isuzu Trooper! I've got a good background in engine repairs, everything from 1981 Mini Mokes to 1966 Honda S600 Roadsters, Chevy V8's, Ford small blocks, Mazda V6's and the list goes on. I'm certainly no stranger to an engine bay and I don't get too easily intimidated by launching into what others would consider 'major' engine work...

I've driven her to work the past few days and am learning the little quirks (don't try to hit 2nd very quickly, it'll go in but with some additional noises).

Listened to her when I arrived at work this morning after a 30 mile run and based on that I'll be doing a valve adjustment this Sunday afternoon providing I can get some valve cover gaskets...

cobcob and I met up for a quick bite to eat and he definitely got a good deal on the brat...especially for this area, but I have to agree with all of you on this forum, a brat is not the vehicle to have for a man with a family, so I, being the kindhearted person that I am, do hereby offer to trade my 86 gl for his brat to help him out... (lol):grin:

Seriously, it is a very straight, clean brat that appears to have been taken care of very well and runs well from all indications. Very nice indeed.

I drive my lifted '86 brat some 500 miles per week, as it IS my DD right now.

I have my Legacy wagon for the winter though (so the brat wont rust away on me) :grin:

I agree with 75subie that the ea81 cars are SUPER reliable...... but the brat IS limiting as far as passenger-capacity goes (at least in inclement weather)

But the brat IS limiting as far as passenger-capacity goes (at least in inclement weather)

I drive 32 miles to work and 32 miles home 5 days a week, I travel by myself and in some pretty heavy traffic which rules out a motorbike. Weekends see me needing to haul some firewood, cart the lawn mower around, or tote building supplies out to the house. The Brat is pretty well perfect for what I need at this point in my life, good gas mileage, 4x4, reliable, easy to repair, and hauling capability. The family trips are covered by the wife's SUV but that will change as soon as I get the turbo wagon up and running

(post more pics) :grin:

Pics will be forthcoming after the weekend, I'm getting the topper, spare engine and trans, and a mess of other parts tonight :banana:

Should have time on Sunday to get some nice pics of her and I'll upload them Monday when I'm back on the high speed connection at work (dang dial-up at home!)

you had a mini moke! so did i

Awww geez... I wish I had have seen that post when you had it for sale! I woulda given you more than that just to have another Moke! They had some awesome handling, kinda sloppy transmissions, but I'd die to get my hands on another one!

The issue in terms of break downs is more looking at the next 2-3 months and having driven the Brat more now I'm confident that I won't have any problems with it in that time frame. The 'Can't afford to have my DD break on me' is a time thing rather than a cost thing. I can afford to put up some $$$ for repairs if needed, but I've only got 3 vacation days left this year so repairs would have to wait for a weekend which means driving the wife's SUV or having my wagon running.

THAT is the important thing. I agree that it was a worthy purchase, but when you suddenly mentioned a four month old and family responsibilities, it was like someone screeching the needle across a record that was playing.. "...What?!? hang on a sec..."

That's all. If you read and considered all that, then the choice was yours to make; I don't think anyone here wants to look DOWN on you for buying it.. we just wanted to make sure you were weighing everything properly and NOT getting a false idea on the reliability of these cars.. because ALL of them DO break down. Suspension bits wear out, seals go bad, radiators get clogged..

As with ANY used Subaru (use CAR) purchase a THOROUGH inspection is called for, along with some hefty preventative maintenance. You also need to accept NOW that, in the future, something will break and you will need to give it some time. As long as you aren't going to come hollering at us "YOU JERKWADS TOLD ME THIS THING WASN'T GONNA BREAK!!" :grin: then everything is all gravy.

"YOU JERKWADS TOLD ME THIS THING WASN'T GONNA BREAK!!"

That's going to be the title to my first "broken down Brat" thread hehehe:grin:

I've got no pie-in-the-sky visions of this thing running for years and years of trouble free service. As is the case with any older vehicle she's gonna have her issues and quirks which is what gives the older vehicles their personality. I learned a LONG time ago that a car is a group of mechanical systems and they like to break:)

Good thing I like to fix things right?

In all reality, if you keep up with the maintainence schedule you can indeed have many years of trouble free service. My dad once bought an 84 GL wagon with I think with around 30K on it back in 86/87. He ran it untill 97 with no problems, We sold it with 248K on the clock. Rusting away but it was still one of the best running ea81's I've been in.

I'm working on drafting up a good maintenance schedule, going to be doing things that I haven't done in the past like checking fluids while filling up with gas etc. I figure that since she's given 25 years of service to someone else she deserves a bit of pampering now!

Also going to buy a new print cartridge so I can print out HTKYSA for some bed time reading

I'm working on drafting up a good maintenance schedule, going to be doing things that I haven't done in the past like checking fluids while filling up with gas etc. I figure that since she's given 25 years of service to someone else she deserves a bit of pampering now!

Also going to buy a new print cartridge so I can print out HTKYSA for some bed time reading

Nooooooo! They like being abused and neglected! When you hear a squeak or moan turn up the radio, most will pass. Morning sickness in the brakes, squeaks from an over the weekend rest. They quit as soon as you step on the brakes or dive into the next pot-hole. Just keep fresh gas and oil... the rest will take care. If it's being particularly ornery, then listen carefully and it'll tell you what's wrong. Whatever it is will only keep you down for a few hours. Best of luck with it! You'll LOVE it!