Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater Core

It's starting to feel like fall...which means my temporary fix of bypassing the heater core will need to be fixed for real soon. So, heater cores. OEM? Aftermarket? Who's a good source, if these aren't one of those things I should really get from Subaru?

Pretty much whoever is cheapest. As long as you get the right core for your year you should be fine. There were a few different arrangments for the EA82 line - dealing with mostly how the brass lines are routed behind the duct box under the dash.

Personally, I would pull it and then find one similar at the junk yard - doesn't take too long to get them out and if you have the time it's worth saving $50 or so as you can usually find good ones.

Figure a SOLID day to do a core - the whole dash must come out to get at it. And you will probably want to get some marine grade foam weatherstripping to redo the core box and some other duct bits. Lysol the hell out of the duct work too ;)

GD

when you go to get one. make sure you get the right one. look in the picture book and point at it before you order it. i went to 3 different parts stores and they all had the EA81 core listed for all subarus from like 81 till 94. i had to order one for an XT6 to get the right one...

here is a pic so you dont have to pull your whole dash apart to find out that it took a week to order the wrong one. then have to wate 2 more days to overnight the right one.

heater core_tn.jpg

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I had the heater core mixup happen to me to when I was R&Ring the wagon's heater.

GD's tip about the junkyard is good - there are many decent cores to be had in dead cars - but an even better reason, IMO, is that you can just remove the entire heater assembly from a junk car, R&R it, and then just swap it into your car when you do the deed. It will make a day-long project into a half-day-long project without as much deadline-pressure.. and most places charge little enough for heater parts that the cost will be worth it.

Also, if you're an EA81 owner, you might check the hot water valves that run between your heater core and the engine's heater hoses - yours may need replacing and it's no extra work to harvest a junk car's hot water valve while you're in there.

Any way to tell if the heater core's good or bad by looking at it?

Not really. You want a core from a car with a reasonably clean cooling system. If you check the pics you can see that the core is the lowest point (the inlets do a kind of a "hump over and drop" thing), what this means is that any crap in the system tends to stay at the lowest point (once pumped into the core crap tends to stay, this includes application(s) of "stop leak", effectively plugging the core).

Personally, I have found used heater cores to be hit, and miss.

Originally Posted by MTSuby

Any way to tell if the heater core's good or bad by looking at it?

You can usually tell if it leaked by a white chalky residue. I wouldn't advise getting a used core. Like a radiator, they can go bad by sitting empty for a while like in a jy. I would buy a new core (either OEM or AM) and get any other parts and piping from a jy.

If you run 50/50 antifreeze and distilled water, you would be doing your cooling system a favor. No corrosion and the hoses will last a lot longer.

rex

I had the heater core mixup happen to me to when I was R&Ring the wagon's heater.

GD's tip about the junkyard is good - there are many decent cores to be had in dead cars - but an even better reason, IMO, is that you can just remove the entire heater assembly from a junk car, R&R it, and then just swap it into your car when you do the deed. It will make a day-long project into a half-day-long project without as much deadline-pressure.. and most places charge little enough for heater parts that the cost will be worth it.

Also, if you're an EA81 owner, you might check the hot water valves that run between your heater core and the engine's heater hoses - yours may need replacing and it's no extra work to harvest a junk car's hot water valve while you're in there.

I had replace my heater control valve... Subaru wanted 106$ (!!!!! :eek: ) for one brand new. I JY'ed mine for $4 ;) ...i just hope it doenst leak.

That sounds about right. If your car has a charged A/C, it will be like GD said to replace it. If not, you can get bye with taking it out the passenger side without removing the dash.

That's why it's important to do your best to not have to do it again later. Like with a jy core that starts leaking later.

Check with the dealer and get whichever one is cheaper. I know it seems like a lot of money but if you can avoid ever doing it again it will be worth it. Any other part can be replaced without taking the dash apart. That's why I suggested jy just like Dain mentioned.

Good score, Dain! :clap:

That's why I mentioned that coolant mixture. Corrosion that breaks loose is what gets stuck in the core and corrodes that. Distilled water will keep everything from corroding. I replaced most of the hoses on my RX at 90-100k because of leaks and corrosion. That was shortly after I bought it. It now has 321k and still on the same hoses. And, they're still in great shape.

Did you see Reveeens' post about the core for $10?

rex

Why buy a $10 heater core when a $140 one will do?

Actually I know nothing about those guys, a couple of folks here were talking about parts there this AM, and I looked, and I remembered there was a heater core available there for $10. If shipping from there to me wasn't so expensive, I'd buy it myself, just to have it.

What's their deal? How can they get things for so cheap?

I see no mention about going out of business. They appear to be an "ends", "job lot", and buyer of bankrupt stock, paying pennies on the buck for stuff.

To handle some product lines (become a "dealer") (and makes of automobiles/motorcycles/equipment) you are required to invest a certain amount of money in "stock", this "stock" is what they call a "beginning inventory". Depending on the honesty of the manufacturer, you can end up with quite a bit of "dead stock" (I could tell you horror stories about Yamaha). What these guys appear to do is buy this "dead stock" (for very little) and are turning it around at a profit.

In this case, a Subaru heater core, that doesn't fit any Subaru car newer than 1994, would be considered "dead stock" here, where I live.

So......you would buy from them?

At a risk of $10, or a potential savings of $130, I would give them a shot.

5th post down in the thread I linked

====================

Ditto dudes and babes. I've scored about five or six parts from them. They are going out of business so grab em while you can. Ridiculously low prices. I scored some wagon trunk lid supports for like $2.00

=====================

O......K..... so do I feel bad about never going in to pick up a part that I've special ordered from Napa?.......

If the $10 don't work then at least you KNOW that NAPA will have one :grin: