Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the deal w/these Catalytic Converters?

I have had two diffrent guys stop at my house and ask if they could have the cats off my '84 parts cars. They must be worth something for scrap 'cause they didnt seem the least bit interested in the almost new axles in one of my parts cars. I don't think they were Subaru guys at all.

Yea, I thought it was something like that. Seems I saw something on the news about them being valuable to certain people. This county is not a smog/deq county. No emissions test so they shouldn't be that important. So long as they dont touch the one on my project car,everybody will stay healthy. :grin: :grin:

I had one moron who would not leave me alone about the cat from my Hatch when I had the parts advertised on CL. The guy was worse than a scammer, wouldn't take the time to read the ad, just kept asking what the car was, whether I would ship the cat, if it was still in the car.

I eventually just blocked his email address.

I've seen $60,000 shipments of used cats go out of my local junkyard. You cut them off, Identify what they came off of, there's a value assesed by the recycling company, and you crate them up and ship them. OEM subaru cats are worth a fair bit, like up to $90 apice. Aftermarket subaru ones aren't worth anything. Find out where the local recycler buyer is and sell them yourself. Looks like these guys might take them if you don't give them, so you might as well profit rather than be taken advantage of.

There's a rather large Automotive Repair Facility up in Jackson. They do everything from mechanical to body stuff. Back in early August there was over 50 vehicles in the fenced lot. The cats were cut out of every one of them......

The Police figure that they used battery operated saws-alls, and that a pick-up truck load of cats would fetch about $1500 - $2000. Nice info to broadcast over the airwaves on the 6:00 news.....

Cats are the hot tickets here (pun not intended) for the druggies to steal, sell to the metal recyclers & get $$ for their drugs. Just about anything metal here is fair game. And I mean anything. The local saying is "If you love it, nail it down." But that doesn't stop them either, they'll steal the nails first.

My metal house numbers were stolen off my rear fence, my metal "Beware of dogs" sign was stolen off my front gate. The metal sign my fence company hung on my fence when they finished building it was stolen long ago, those get stolen all over the county. They've stolen the copper wiring off telephone poles, taken HVAC systems off roofs of businesses, removed decorative metal finials from bridges, yanked out copper wiring behind commercial buildings....anything metal that's not under armed guard - consider it gone.

The druggies ride around on bicycles in the dead of night looking for metal to rip off. The bicycles are silent, cheap, nimble and they can elude cops chasing them quite easily.

Guess we can be thankful if we don't have metal bumpers on our vehicles.

Subarule

Cats are the hot tickets here (pun not intended) for the druggies to steal, sell to the metal recyclers & get $$ for their drugs. Just about anything metal here is fair game. And I mean anything. The local saying is "If you love it, nail it down." But that doesn't stop them either, they'll steal the nails first.

My metal house numbers were stolen off my rear fence, my metal "Beware of dogs" sign was stolen off my front gate. The metal sign my fence company hung on my fence when they finished building it was stolen long ago, those get stolen all over the county. They've stolen the copper wiring off telephone poles, taken HVAC systems off roofs of businesses, removed decorative metal finials from bridges, yanked out copper wiring behind commercial buildings....anything metal that's not under armed guard - consider it gone.

The druggies ride around on bicycles in the dead of night looking for metal to rip off. The bicycles are silent, cheap, nimble and they can elude cops chasing them quite easily.

Guess we can be thankful if we don't have metal bumpers on our vehicles.

Subarule

My family's shop is in a VERY seedy area of town (there is a neighborhood less than a quarter mile away with the quaint name "Federal Gardens" :rolleyes:) so I am somewhat familiar with the "disappearing Metal phenomenon..."

but NOTHING like any of this.

For some reason, the Meth isnt so big down here..... For that, I must be grateful. We've got losers and junkies, but this "meth problem" that seems to have the PNW in a stranglehold (so to speak) is simply non existent down here.. I have said something about this before, but anytime it comes up it fascinates me. I just can't figure out why; most "dope" takes off here as well as other parts of the country, if not moreso: Miami??!? "Smuggler's Blues?!"

anyhow, I am NOT complaining! *shudder*

Nobody seems to steals cat converters here in lewiston.Posibly because almost everyone removes them themselves.I sold my subaru and my saab is low enough that it would be a royal PITA to remove its cat.Although when I do remove I need to find out where I can turn it in..90 bucks for a OEM subaru cat...Maybe its 100 for a OEM saab cat?

I didnt find anything near lewiston but Large foreign cats are 110 a piece at this one company out of new jersy regular cats for foreign cars are 65.christ...

I've got three OEM Subaru Cats here lying on the garge floor under a bench. 2 front cats for EA82T(down pipe piece) and one second cat from an EA82T. Where do I go to get the Duckets for them?

Ducats.

You take them to a metal recycler business that buys scrap metal.

Subarule