Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 GL Coupe - Oil Pan Plug gasket

Alabass

Ok guys, what's the deal with having to replace the crush washer on the oil pan plug each time you change the oil? My local parts places don't have'em so I had to reuse the old one which leaks of course. Aren't there some sort of fibre washers that can be reused? Also,how do you keep from getting oil all over the skid plate when you drain the pan, do you need to remove it first? What do you do? Thanks

It is possible to get 2-3 oil changes out of a crush washer, just don't torque it to the max the first time. Problem is, by the time #3 or #4 oil change comes along, the plug is so tight, it won't come off without rounding the corners. A new plug is lots more expensive than a new crush washer.

The dealer has the washers, and they aren't too expensive. Maybe $1 each. I haven't found a cheaper solution yet.

I go about 2 or 3 oil changes with the same washer. I bought a bunch from "thepartsbin" to round off an order once (over $50 free shipping) .99 each. Its good to have a stash of new crush washers ready for oil changes.

http://www.thepartsbin.com/catalog/products.php?year=1989&make_text=subaru&model_text=gl&category=engine_mechanical&subcategory=oiling_system

I find it`s easier and cleaner to remove the skid plate on a oil change. 12mm socket. I dip the bolt threads in the used oil when re-installing. I get about 4 oil changes to a gasket washer. Remember, it only has to be snugged up, not crushed!

Just one man`s opinion:cool: