Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GCK half shafts

cleelum

PS u can't get NTNs for 50 bucks tho' damn good deal

You can't get new ones in the states for EA series vehicles. All the dealers now carry is rebuilt units - which the GCK's are far superior to. The differences may be greater in the EA81 GCK's vs. stock, than the Legacy/Imp. GCK's vs. stock as well. In the case of the EA81 GCK's I can attest to their impressiveness over all other axles which I have been exposed to.

GD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My amazon order came in last night. Wow! :eek: You weren't kidding GD, this thing is a work of art. I seriously would like to mount this thing to impress people. :lol:

I ordered the SB-8005 for my 5sp 4wd '89... hopefully its the right one.

1985-1991 MT F/I ENG. MT 25 SPLINE I/B SB-8005 SB-8005

I will probably start ripping into this tonight! The only thing murky in my head is how people use screw drivers to help pull the new axle through the hub?? Hopefully mine does not give me too much trouble.

I will probably start ripping into this tonight! The only thing murky in my head is how people use screw drivers to help pull the new axle through the hub?? Hopefully mine does not give me too much trouble.

Basically you use them like big pry-bars to pry the axle through the hub using various combinations of the axle nut, cone washer (turned upside down) and big washers (look in the construction department of home depot or a lumber yard for "j-bolts" and their associated washers and nuts - used to tie structural lumber down to concrete foundations).

GD

I thought the 23 spline was for non-turbo's, and the 25 spline is for turbo's.

Yep, found this out the hard way the other night. Now I have to figure out how returning things works on Amazon.com :rolleyes::mad:

They need to fix their application guide on the GCK website.

• 4 weeks later...

Could someone verify which one I need for a 1988 GL Coupe?

Ok, finally got the right axle for my non-turbo and got it installed. Beautiful! No shaking or noises and I won't have to worry about that axle for a loooong time.

GCK is definitely the way to go, just make sure you order the right one. :-\

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to post this..... but I have my first BAD thing to say about GCK, albeit minor. :-\

I was wheeling the other day (pretty hard -deep ruts, and suspension travel maxed out) I get home, and the DOJ boot clamp had slipped off! :eek:

Just your usual "grease everywhere" situation and whatnot.... and I was able to repair (the clamp wasnt BROKEN, just slid-off)

Anybody else have this trouble?!

Well - you do have a lifted rig, and that may be putting stress on the boot? I haven't had that problem with my lifted wagon. Could just be there was too much grease on the boot when it was installed. Replace the clamp with a stainless steel hose clamp.

GD

The clamps that are on my GCK axle are stamped with "GCK". I would imagine that is probably part of their warrenty, kind of like a seal. Might not want to mess with them. Just a thought, Tim