Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Documented: The 1970 FF-1 Project car...

Hey kosta, i see you found some pictures i posted a while back, they were taken in singapore by my brother whe he was there. As for the motor go back to the thread about the 1400 where i mentioned what i did to convert to fit a FF1

Thierry

Thats your photo :confused:

I spent hours GIS'ing for FF-1 pics and randomly found that...

As for the swap, yes I know you already posted whats possible, but that site has it all layed out and listed nicely for future reference :)

Got a few parts from napa today to try and get it started tommorow...

But I did find the throttle linkage is seized :( (it has this wierd secondary throttle linkage I dont recognize, its not even in the service manual)

Looks like your having a good time with the car Steve, I was a little concerned when I left it with you. I will be keeping up on your progress, and feel the pain with each little problem that you encounter. This Thread it getting huge, I had no idea there would be such interest.

Darrell

Looks like your having a good time with the car Steve, I was a little concerned when I left it with you. I will be keeping up on your progress, and feel the pain with each little problem that you encounter. This Thread it getting huge, I had no idea there would be such interest.

Darrell

Of course there is this much interest. Its not often that people (ie. an entire community of subaru nutz) gets to rescue a rare classic from the junkyard. We are all interested and following along....well at least I am. Its a cool little car and I cant wait till you get it running again. Ive been there before. My first car was an 86 EA81 hatch that hadnt run in 3 years. New battery and an oil change later she was up and running..crappily but running :grin:

I remember the rescue I made from the salvage yard. (A 79 wagon)

Fired up after years in the yard! It was music to my ears! It smoked for about 5 minutes, but cleared up fine!!

I'm excited to hear your starting results!!

Todd

Oh NOESSSS... it has window frames, its NOT a SUBARU!!!!! :dead:

I bet you the lights stay on when you take the key out, too. Dastardly!

(Link for the irony challenged :) )

:rolleyes: Love you too...

Subaru was a fledgling car company when this car was built and hadn't developed their identity yet.

Day 6:

Well it was actually some of Saturday and Sunday...

I decided after looking at most of the hoses that they needed to be replaced before I tried starting it. I had some trouble getting the right oil cap, but I found this rubber one that at least plugs the hole for now. I also had to bring back the oil filter I got since it wasnt the right part number (used the Fram filter that was on it to reference which one to get).

I replaced the fuel lines, all the easy-to-get to vacuum hoses, and the top two radiator hoses...

As you can see, theres some sort of wierd smog pump setup on this car. It will be complicated to remove if I decide to do so, i'd need to replace the metal breather lines with something else at the least in order to do so.

I also managed to free up the frozen throttle... That odd 90 degree turn thing its attached to siezed up, and a bit of pb blaster and silicone spray got it operating nicely :)

Here are a couple of detail engine pics for those interested:

ff1day6engine2a.jpg

ff1day6engine1.jpg

Next up...

Starting it :) Its got oil and coolant now after re-attaching the lines. Ill need to put in a battery, swap out the plugs and put in the new wires and distributor cap/rotor, and see what happens...

Im crossing my fingers that all goes well for you. Make sure to drain out the gas..if there is any in the tank. You may also need to rebuild the carburator.

I think the tank is empty, but I need to get the ignition on to see if it is or not for sure.

The oil cap for your car is the same as the gas cap for a 360. People have had good luck finding them, so it shouldn't be that hard. I think stant makes one that works out.

Got a part number???

You should get a vid of it when you first crank it over. Then once it starts you need a vid of that too!
Thats the plan :D

I'm expecting lots of noise and stuff coming out of the car... Especially since the muffler has a huge rust hole in the bottom of it :-p

Subaru was a fledgling car company when this car was built and hadn't developed their identity yet.

Trying not to stray off-topic in this thread. But when they develop their identity is subjective to the viewer, and I'm not singling anyone out on their views. But I'd say having a longitudal FWD layout with a boxer engine is one pretty substantial identity since no one has stuck with that layout since (or attempted?) and they still do it to this day. What they do for window frames is inconsequential and simply styling, IMO. SVX is then not a Subaru either... silliness. This FF-1 is definitely a Subaru, the heart is there.

[ontopic] The engine bay is looking great!

Honestly, other than the engine, theres really no other Subaru that the FF-1 is similar too.

The Chassis, Suspension, body parts/accents/etc. are all completely different than any other model...

But thats why its so great :D

what are you doing inside? Get out there and make it roar!:grin:

Well I've got some news today...

It cranks, but isnt starting.

I swaped out the spark plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, checked all the wires to make sure everything is pluged in and the fuses are ok...

I'm getting fuel (fuel pump is working for sure) and the starter is definatly cranking the motor, but i'm not getting spark. In fact its heating up the positive power side and the starter cable so much they started smoking and melting some of the rubber wire coating :(

Think its the ignition, or something else? I re-tryed the old distributor cap and rotor but that didnt change anything.