Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 catalytic converter toasted!

RedRat

So the catalytic converter on my 84 GL is shot. The little beast is real loud and drives a bit sluggish too.

The muffler was holed, replaced it with a cheap clamp on muffler from Shucks but it still doesn't have a lot of flow through it, the cat is leaking so bad. The cat is the 2 into one type just after the exhaust Y. Anyway, I took it to midas to get a free estimate, they said about $400 for the parts and labor. The car was less than that.

Does anyone have any advice as to where to pick up an catalytic converter on the cheap? Also, anybody know some good/cool exhaust people or mechanics in the Bellingham WA, area?

I really don't want to go back to Midas.

thanks everyone!

Does it still need to pass emissions out in Washington? I will say the non-environmentally friendly thing and that is..get someone to weld a straight pipe in there on the cheap. I had both my Catalitics (yep two cause it was a california emissions model) taken out and a straight pipe welded in. Didnt really notice all that much difference in performance but the SOUND!!!!:slobber: Quiet at idle and up to about 2000 rpms and then it sounds as good (to me at least) as a new subaru wrx.

• 2 weeks later...
you need sjr's help.look up scott. i beleive he hosts a shop night still.....cheers, brian

Great! Thanks. So am I safe to assume sjr's is a shop in bellingham?

i'm on a bit of a road trip now so its taken a bit to get back in any way (the legacy down to oregon..a bit more quiet and smooth than the old red rat)

Great! Thanks. So am I safe to assume sjr's is a shop in bellingham?

Yes SJR is in the Bellingham area.

Also, a Y-pipe/cat from an ea82 should bolt right up. Better flow and easier to find. Have one but your probably out of the PDX area already.

I bought an aftermarket y pipe with cat for about $165 on line, but it was a pos and the muffler shop had to cut and weld to get it to fit properly. I had exhaust leak issues for a month after it was installed. :banghead: I cant remember the place I bought it from but if I find the receipt I'll post who it was. good luck

I bought an aftermarket y pipe with cat for about $165 on line, but it was a pos and the muffler shop had to cut and weld to get it to fit properly. I had exhaust leak issues for a month after it was installed. :banghead: I cant remember the place I bought it from but if I find the receipt I'll post who it was. good luck

Some of the aftermarket suppliers are trying to get away with selling 1 y-pipe that they believe will cover all of the EA81 model years. Because of the different ASV combinations found with the EA81s there are going to be different Y-pipes to match those combinations. A y-pipe for an 81 will be different than a Y-pipe for an 82 and 83+ later will also be different than both 81 and 82.