Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 flywheel into EA81T

So, why exactly won't it work? The PP bolts up fine to the EA82 flywheel...

How big is the difference in step sizes?

The only reason I'm being so persistent about knowing why it won't work is because I'm pretty close to running out of options here. I have to make do with what I've got, and buying a EA82 PP isn't in the budget.

(And dont tell me that I *should* get a 5spd... etc. You give me all the parts to do it, and sure, I'll be all over it)

EDIT: Further research, makes me think that it would work. From this post: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showpost.php?p=655480&postcount=3 :

The specs are: -.815 on the XT6,-.900 on the EA82, and -.825 on the late EA81 with the 8 7/8 disc diameter.

I know people have used EA82 pp on the XT6 flywheel, and vice versa. I see no reason why this wouldn't work... The EA81 PP does bolt up.

do you not have the ea81 flywheel? if you do and if i remember correctly the ea81t has the same flywheel bolt diameter ans an ea81 so if you use a drill press nad a 1/2 inch bit you can drill out the holes to match. this works for ea81 flywheels against ea82 motors. this is if you have the flywheel and need a quick fix.

The clamping force won't be correct - too strong for the clutch dampener springs, and can cause insuffient clearance between the disc and the flywheel/PP when released - overheating the PP and flywheel friction surfaces and causing excelerated wear. At any rate if you just have the flywheel turned to the EA81 spec you will be fine. Napa does it for pretty cheap usually but it depends on which napa as they all set their own pricing. You are talking about a difference of over 1/16" in depth - that's a lot when you are talking about clutch packs.

Why not just use an EA81 flywheel? Pretty cheap from the yards.... and you won't have the wobbly, large EA82 bolt holes that way either.

GD