Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Downsides to the 2003 3.0L v6?

One of the used subies I have in my sights is a 2003 LL bean edition- not looking for that specifically, but it popped up.

What're the downsides to the 3.0L 6 cyl?

What highway mileage can I expect?

Does the 6 overwhelm the drivetrain at all?

Thanks,

Dave

V-6?

Oh no you didn't

It seems to be a pretty good motor. Not sure if that one has the avcs and avls, but they do have have bigger valves, a bigger throttle body, and a timing chain.

Also, the VTD/VDC AWD system is way better than what's in the regular automatics and manuals.

V-6?

Oh no you didn't

It seems to be a pretty good motor. Not sure if that one has the avcs and avls, but they do have have bigger valves, a bigger throttle body, and a timing chain.

Also, the VTD/VDC AWD system is way better than what's in the regular automatics and manuals.

Oh, I did, oh crap... coming off of a V6 4.0L '92 Ranger, I'm just used to 6's being V's!

From my searching so far, the 6 seems to do well for mileage on the highway, where I do about 75 miles of interstate every day.

This one is a 2003 beaner edition with 55,000 miles, they are going to list it at $15,500 (subie dealer with a used car arm).

So far, as long as it'll run fine on 87 octane, I don't think the 6 will be a problem.

In the area there are a pair of '04s, 14K for a 60,500 mile one and 15K for a 47,000 mile one.

This LL bean one looks to be a slightly better 'deal' than the 47,000 mile one.

Dave

no, you need to use 91.

The 165hp 2.5 barely gets a big fatty outback moving, and I would be looking at H6es. I think they also have more reliable headgaskets.

The EG33 certainly gets the fat SVX moving. Granted, it doesn't get to its top speed very fast, but the car goes very fast...

I have the 3.0L H6 in our '02 OBW. With about 102K miles on it, has not given me any trouble at all. Mileage has been around 23 mpg on mid-grade, overall. I don't think we would have been happy with the 4 banger. I also like the fact that it's got a timing chain as opposed to a belt. Spark plugs are a pain in the a-- to change, though.

Look into the expense of replacing the timing CHAIN and sproket wheels. It's quite expensive. If I'm not mistaken, the timing chain in the 3.0L frequently needs to be replaced around 150,000 miles.

Well, at least I can probably replace them myself, in about 100,000 miles.

Dave

Well, at least I can probably replace them myself, in about 100,000 miles.

Dave

The site is down, but it has the same interval as the timing belt. Its not that hard to replace, just expensive and lots and lots and lots of bolts. If it wasnt for the fact it was an interference engine, I would just drive it untill the chain failed.

I am in complete shock, as the chain is only 60.00 per side from Genuine Subaru. Idler gear is 25.00 and 30.00/ I dont know if the guides have to be replaced, but there are five of them from 17.00 to 46.00. (sorry i am reading retail prices but you get the idea). I know on older engines you also had to replace a gear or two. This gets pricey.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

There is a really great diagram of the timing chain and the associated parts.

nipper

nipper