Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 GL - Bad gas? Clean carb?

Working on my $99. 1982 GL today. I have been able to start it no problem by putting some fresh gas right down the carb. After running gas through it this way for about 10 minutes, it would run on it's own without adding gas. it would run but if I were to push the accelorator, it would stall out. Today I put a fresh fuel filter in it. Still about the same. Everything runs fine with the fresh gas when poured down the carb but it seems once that's out, the car stalls. I also get white smoke at that point. Fuel filters are good. The fuel pump seems fine. The car sat for 6 years before I got it. I'm thinking bad gas. Do I take the gas tank out and clean it now? Or is there an additive I should try? Any other ideas? Once I get this taken care of, I just need new brake lines and a set of pugs and it will join the Trashwagon off road in PA. :banana:

Thanks for any help!

Working on my $99. 1982 GL today. I have been able to start it no problem by putting some fresh gas right down the carb. After running gas through it this way for about 10 minutes, it would run on it's own without adding gas. it would run but if I were to push the accelorator, it would stall out. Today I put a fresh fuel filter in it. Still about the same. Everything runs fine with the fresh gas when poured down the carb but it seems once that's out, the car stalls. I also get white smoke at that point. Fuel filters are good. The fuel pump seems fine. The car sat for 6 years before I got it. I'm thinking bad gas. Do I take the gas tank out and clean it now? Or is there an additive I should try? Any other ideas? Once I get this taken care of, I just need new brake lines and a set of pugs and it will join the Trashwagon off road in PA. :banana:

Thanks for any help!

Humm? Well i've this problem with small engine's (Mowers, Blowers ect) lots of times.. Now you say once the fuel in the carb is used it stalls. Well sounds like a clog in a fuel line somewhere. That's my thoughts on that.

And as for the fuel tank, Don't take it out just add some Marvel mistory oil. Yes i said mistory oil... Because you can ad that to gas too. And it cleans great! Once you add the hole a bottle and once you get the car running go fill it with fresh gas and let it run for a few... Ok :)

I still don't know what to tell you about the stalling issue??

Marvel Myster Oil is amazing stuff, and good for a whole lot of things, but it's certainly not my first choice to somehow magically restore 6-year-old gasoline to the point where it'll support combustion. Drain the tank and put in 5 gallons of new.

Oops sorry i ment to say that in my message. but yeah you should ad some Marvel Myster Oil to the fresh gas. So when it's pumping thru the system it might clean it out too... Good luck

Ok. drained the tank completey. Added Marvel Mystery Oil in proportion to the 6 gallons of fresh gas I added. I popped the fuel line off the top of the fuel filter and put some gas down the carb to flush the bad stuff out of the lines. I let it run like this for a minute or so and then reattached the fuel line. It still doesn't stay running on it's own. You think there's a block in the line between the filter and the carb? Any other ideas as to wha this could be???

Ok. drained the tank completey. Added Marvel Mystery Oil in proportion to the 6 gallons of fresh gas I added. I popped the fuel line off the top of the fuel filter and put some gas down the carb to flush the bad stuff out of the lines. I let it run like this for a minute or so and then reattached the fuel line. It still doesn't stay running on it's own. You think there's a block in the line between the filter and the carb? Any other ideas as to wha this could be???

Blow through the fuel line; you should be able to get it to bubble into the tank.

Alot easier and tastes better to use a blowgun for this, but in a pinch you should be able to do it with your mouth; if you can't then yes, you likely have a clog.

so, there is a "thingie" inside your carb called a float.that float has a window on the side of some of our carbs.check and see if you can find it.is there fuel behind the window?no?then your float is most likely stuck from the varnish and tarnish of the old fuel.or one of the 20 some odd ins and outs of that damn carb is plugged.you usually do not get a plug in the line.holes yes,plug no.

seafoam is the chemical that you should be using to poke and prod around on your carb,and in your tank.its about 6 bucks a can.and it works.seafoam also has a spray can of "deep creep" which would be beneficial to your situation.

my suggestion is to throw some dough down on a rebuild kit for it.go to napa.they have them.make sure that you find the numbers on your carb,or take it with you.cost ya about 40 bucks depending on which carb you have.sometimes cheaper.cheers, brian