Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Max 14" Tires for Legacy with Outback struts

I just put Outback KYB GR2's on the 97 Legato Vaggen , raising the car about 1.5 inches.

Next thing is to put new tires, and I want to go up from the 185/75-14 on it now. I want to go up in diameter mostly, and it looks like that would be 195/75-14.

Tire calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp shows 5% difference.

There are no 185/80 or 85 or 90 -14's that I can see.

I did the struts myself using basic screw type spring compressors with the wide hooks. I use an electric impact wrench to make the job go more quickly and avoid getting tired from ratcheting. I wrap the assembly in a heavy tarp while I'm tightening the compressors and working on the unit to avoid the possibility of flying objects. It goes pretty well. The fronts are a bit close but you can still compress them just enough over 3 coils to JUST get the nut off and on.

Now the car rides better, firmer, and less like a Buick. For better or worse. Maybe the new tires will soften it up a bit.

I just put Outback KYB GR2's on the 97 Legato Vaggen , raising the car about 1.5 inches.

Next thing is to put new tires, and I want to go up from the 185/75-14 on it now. I want to go up in diameter mostly, and it looks like that would be 195/75-14.

Tire calculator at http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp shows 5% difference.

There are no 185/80 or 85 or 90 -14's that I can see.

I did the struts myself using basic screw type spring compressors with the wide hooks. I use an electric impact wrench to make the job go more quickly and avoid getting tired from ratcheting. I wrap the assembly in a heavy tarp while I'm tightening the compressors and working on the unit to avoid the possibility of flying objects. It goes pretty well. The fronts are a bit close but you can still compress them just enough over 3 coils to JUST get the nut off and on.

Now the car rides better, firmer, and less like a Buick. For better or worse. Maybe the new tires will soften it up a bit.

I have used the basic screw type spring compressors to change put KYBs on a VW, and long ago on a Datsun 240Z. Using one of those screw down compressors scared me to death. I was always worried about the "hooks" slipping, and causing someone to get hurt. Later models had clamp "hold downs" to prevent slippage, but still plently scary to work with. So be careful. One bad slip, can put you into the hospital. BTW, I remember using a bottle jack placed under the assembly to raise the replacement strut unit into place for rebolting. It really works slick, so try that if you haven't done so before.

As far as tire sizing, it may be trial and error to find a tire that is larger, but will not rub the fender or suspension parts during suspension movement. My suggestion is going to a 195 X 75 X 14 as you are already thinking. Going to a 195 X 70 X 14, will be a little wider, but not quite as tall as the 75 series

(195) tire.

You may want to go to a small independent tire shop who will work with you. Going to a large tire store wanting something unusual for an unusual car set up, is not their strong point. A large tire store wants volume production in sales, with as few customer returns as possible. Because of that, I have had big tire stores only willing to sell me the tire that's specified by the car manufacturer as OEM size tire in their computer. The store did not want to take a chance of me coming bad because of a tire rub problem. I hope the advise helps. Good Luck!

195/80/14 will work. it is the same diameter and circumference as the stock outback tire, which is 205/70/15.

205/70/15 on an outback wheel will work, it's stock.

205/60/16 will fit with GT wheels.

205/75/14s on you legacy wheels will fit, it's .2 inches smaller in diameter and .6 inches smaller in circumference than stock outback tires.

215/60/16 is .1 inch smaller than outback diameter.

215/70/15 is .3 inches smaller than outback diameter.

205/65/16s on a GT wheel will be .2 inches bigger in diameter (.1 inch bigger in radius, thats less than 1/8 of an inch) and .6 inches bigger in circumference than stock outback tires. i'm not sure i'd spend money on tires this size unless i was sure.

215/70/15 is .6 inches larger than outbak diameter, i don't think i'd use them.

185/85/14 is .1 inche larger than outback diameter.

i use outback as the standard since the struts and tires are a known match. one size down from those listed will lessen the speedo error. 2 sizes down from those listed will piut you back at stock legacy tire size, 195/70/14.

question: if you swap in an outback TCU or ECU or instrument cluster (which ever) would you elminate the speedo error.??? i may try that.

are you try to get as big as possible, or just bigger? price may make a difference. it seems that the ones they sell more of are cheaper, but maybe not.

edit correction: if jamal's were 225/60/16 they'd be .3 inches bigger in diameter ( thats more than 1/8 of an inch in radius) than stock outback.

185/80R14 tires (aka 185R14) *do* exist, but most American companies don't make them anymore, and the kid at the tire store will stare dumbly if you don't give him a middle number. Vredestein has a couple tires in that size. I ran Vredestein Sprint 185R14's on my Beretta for a while; they rode nicely.

- Scott

jamal's 225/60/16 are .3 inches bigger in diameter ( thats more than 1/8 of an inchin radius) than stock outback. this may be the upper limit.

They're 50 series, which is the same diameter as a 185/75-14. Just a lot wider. I'm just saying there's no problem with going to a 205, or a tire close to stock outback diameter.

80 series tires would suck. I would move up to a used set of OEM 15s or 16s, which gives you a wider wheel and more taller tire options. You can get a used set of 16x6.5 WRX wheels for like $125 on nasioc.

I did the OB strut swap on my '90 Leg. I have 205/75R-14 all-seasons and 205/70R-15 studded snows that both fit, but the front of the REAR tire is close to the fender - front tires are fine. I read somewhere on here where 215/75R-14 may fit. Also, different mfg. tires have different dimensions, I've noticed. The difference between my two sizes is only about .2" in width and diameter.

The tires DO rub just slightly @ full steering lock.

I bought the almost new 205/75R-14 off Craigslist for <$60, w/mounting/balancing I was set for about $100 for all 4!

I did the OB strut swap on my '90 Leg. I have 205/75R-14 all-seasons and 205/70R-15 studded snows that both fit, but the front of the REAR tire is close to the fender - front tires are fine. I read somewhere on here where 215/75R-14 may fit. Also, different mfg. tires have different dimensions, I've noticed. The difference between my two sizes is only about .2" in width and diameter.

The tires DO rub just slightly @ full steering lock.

I bought the almost new 205/75R-14 off Craigslist for <$60, w/mounting/balancing I was set for about $100 for all 4!

If I find a deal like that I could deal with some interference at full lock.

Thanks, that's exactly the info I need. Depending now on the mfg specifics, I'll go with either a 195/75/14 snow or maybe a 205/75/14 all season.

Is there ever snow buildup in the wells problem?

And, with the Forester around, I might look for a set of 15 steelies so I can give her my tires when she scrubs ANOTHER set off in 2 years.

And when I buy, I'm going to wait for the nastiest, crummiest, snowiest, slushiest day possible so I can more easily rationalize paying for labor. Sorry, tire guys.