Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Trouble registering car...

OK, so I bought the RX on 10/1/07. I filled out the title correctly, and the previous owner filled it out incorrectly.

Attempt one to register car:

Drove 60 miles to DMV, to be told the title must be notarized. The title did not say this (title was 20yrs old.) So due to state law, I went back to where I purchased the car (5 hour drive one way- PA) to get the title noterized at a bank.

We corrected the title, crossed out the 2 incorrect lines, and had the noter stamp both. This is what the DMV in WV told us to do.

Attempt 2 to register car:

Take title to DMV, they say they cant accept it because lines are crossed out and they would have never told us to do that. If you took at it, you can tell why it was crossed out and it would make sense.

So now we're approaching out 30 day period. They want us to get a new title, and do all that again.

Any words of wisdom before I sell the damn RX?

OK, so I bought the RX on 10/1/07. I filled out the title correctly, and the previous owner filled it out incorrectly.

Attempt one to register car:

Drove 60 miles to DMV, to be told the title must be notarized. The title did not say this (title was 20yrs old.) So due to state law, I went back to where I purchased the car (5 hour drive one way- PA) to get the title noterized at a bank.

We corrected the title, crossed out the 2 incorrect lines, and had the noter stamp both. This is what the DMV in WV told us to do.

Attempt 2 to register car:

Take title to DMV, they say they cant accept it because lines are crossed out and they would have never told us to do that. If you took at it, you can tell why it was crossed out and it would make sense.

So now we're approaching out 30 day period. They want us to get a new title, and do all that again.

Any words of wisdom before I sell the damn RX?

In Iowa, the Previous owner would have to get a replacement title, and fill out again (correctly, notoraized), with a new date, and start the 30 day clock over again....

see if they can do a replacement title and a transfer of ownership at the same time.

You might also want to look into getting a "power of attorney" from the previous owner regarding the transaction. That way you don't have to go back and forth to get his signature.

I use to work for a finance company and my job was to title vehicles all over the country. Give me a PM of you need help wording the POA.

BW