Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grind my Outback's calipers to fit 15s? Who knows how?

I want to get 15s on my Outback so I can slap on some Swampers, but apparently I can't because of my front brakes! Darn!

Has anyone done this? I think I read somewhere that "scoobyclimbs" did it, but I can't seem to find the thread.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

I have the 4 cyl. base Outback, so not the big brakes.

Thanks,

- Tyler

You may be able to get caliper brackets from a soob that came with smaller wheels and maybe they will fit your current calipers. Otherwise you could get calipers and brackets that are smaller from a soob that came with smaller wheels and hopefully the bracket will match up to the bearing housing. Plus of course you need smaller rotors then too. Ideally you'd do the rear too to keep it balanced.

So 15s will work with no modifications?

Or do I need the smaller brackets?

don't take this as fact, i'm just regurgitating what i've read. there's a difference between 15" steel and 15" alloys- the alloys will clear a particular set of brakes that steel wheels will not - but i don't know if that applies to your brakes or not?

I can tell you that I just took the 15" Stock Alloy wheels (with brand new snow tires) off my 96' OBW and put them on my 00' OBW without an issue...so you should be fine with some alloy's...:clap:

Alloys + Offroading = Check your lugs OFTEN!

went wheelin' one day... heading back i had this 'clunk... clunk' noise in the back.... guess what... the lugs loosened up.

I romp'd through some cold water & stuff, so i'm guessing the thermal expansion/contraction did it.

so i'm guessing the thermal expansion/contraction did it.
i've even seen some tire shops "require" customers to return after 50 miles to retorque alloy wheels. don't know if the customers really return or if they even care, but it's not a disclaimer for no reason.

i've also wondered the opposite before...could the wheel be machined at all?