Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noise when clutch pressed in

I have a '95 Legacy L wagon, 5sp, AWD, with 285,000 miles. When it is cold, I've started getting some noise when I press the clutch. It sounds like spinning metal rubbing against metal, but not grinding. I start to hear/feel it when I just start feathering the clutch, and it becomes more pronounced when I press the clutch in all the way. After it warms up though, it seems to go away.

This has happened the last couple of days. I keep it in the garage and I don't hear it in the morning. But, I work a couple of thousand feet higher than I live, and it's been colder when I start it up after work. That's when I've been hearing it.

Does this mean that my clutch is starting to die? Does it sound like it may be something similar?

Adam

Not a Subaru-specific diagnosis, but the pepper tree mechanic in me says your throw-out bearing is on the way out. You can keep driving it until it quits working (if you don't mind being stranded), it won't hurt anything else and it could take years to fail.

I have a '95 Legacy L wagon, 5sp, AWD, with 285,000 miles. When it is cold, I've started getting some noise when I press the clutch. It sounds like spinning metal rubbing against metal, but not grinding. I start to hear/feel it when I just start feathering the clutch, and it becomes more pronounced when I press the clutch in all the way. After it warms up though, it seems to go away.

This has happened the last couple of days. I keep it in the garage and I don't hear it in the morning. But, I work a couple of thousand feet higher than I live, and it's been colder when I start it up after work. That's when I've been hearing it.

Does this mean that my clutch is starting to die? Does it sound like it may be something similar?

Adam

I would say your throwout bearing is about to bite it. Probably about past time for a new pressureplate, disc, reface flywheel, bearing supports too.

Just another possibility it could be the bearing on the input shaft. If you pay close attention you can hear it in my Legacy, which has 201k on it.

As long as clutch operation stays normal and the noise does not get tremendously louder... don't worry about it.

Just another possibility it could be the bearing on the input shaft. If you pay close attention you can hear it in my Legacy, which has 201k on it.

As long as clutch operation stays normal and the noise does not get tremendously louder... don't worry about it.

Exactly! It could go for years as it is. My opinion - It's not a serious issue until it starts to change significantly for the worse.

If you are into modifications, this would be the time to start your research though, as the car is saying, "we have a minor issue here".

Jack

They can go from annoying to REALLY bad in a very short time. I had one lock up and wear through the pressure plate diaphram.... not good. You might want to learn how to drive without a clutch now if you plan on not replacing it for a while.

Subaru clutches are easy. I would just do the whole thing and not have to worry about it.

GD

Thanks for all of the replies. I bought the car a few years ago with 174,000 miles on it, and I haven't replaced anything related to the transmission yet. I'm pretty easy on clutches, but I'm still surprised it's lasted this long. In the past month or so I've put on a new set of Michelins and had one front and one rear wheel bearing replaced. I'm hoping to avoid another repair bill for a month or so if I can.

If I do decide to go ahead and just have the clutch replaced, what else is easy to get to while they're inside? I've heard that the rear main seal should be done. Is there anythiing else? What should a new clutch run?

Adam

Sure sounds like a T/O bearing. You might be able to prolong its life by not setting at light with the clutch in (put in neutral and let clutch out). When you do replace it do the pilot bearing, pressure plate, clutch plate and the throwout bearing. Make sure the 2 clips are still there to hold throwout bearing to arm that clutch cable attaches to. I find it easier to pull engine rather than dropping tranny , which requires laying on your back with tranny on your stomach and hoistin back into place without a tranny jack. I have a engine hoist so that another reason pulling engine is easier for me.

This doesn't require the engine to be pulled, but if you do, I would replace water pump, oil pump o-rings, and with that many miles the tensioner and or ilder pulleys associated with timing belt. They are certainly easy to work on with engine out. With that many miles they don't owe you anything. MHO