Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2001 H6 3.0 OBW LL Bean Ed. purchase recomendations

Hey all-

As a reliable car enthusiast, I have been searching for a Suby OBW for a few months now. Finally, I have run across a 1 owner 2001 OBW LL Bean with 54K miles on it.

So, my questions are regarding to the maintenance required and problems expected with this vehicle. The Dealer has it priced to sell and we are ready to make the commitment, however if there are any warrantee/mechanical issues to be looking at closely.

What am I looking for in terms of problems at this stage in the game. Are there any unresolved warrentee issues that the PO may not have addressed/known about?

Am I making the right desciscion with this v6 engine and are there any known major mechanical defects with this engine/drivetrain I need to know about?

(I know about the HG recall issue with the "additive" in the rad fluid)

Any and all opinions are welcome. I look forward to becoming a Subaru owner.

Thanks!

B-

#1. It's not a V6

#2. There are no big issues with the motor and it's great as far as I know. It will not blow headgaskets, that problem is with older 2.5s. The 3.0 H-6 has the same bore/stroke as the very reliable 2.0 and probably uses many of the same casting features. Additionally it has a timing chain instead of belt, which has a longer service interval.

#3. The VTD/VDC AWD system in that is awesome and should be in every a/t subaru. It's kind of like the dccd in the sti without manual settings, and can transfer much more power front or rear than the standard Subaru systems.

#4. DO IT.

There is one thing you should know. I got this info from a guy I totally trust at GO Subaru here in Denver.

The tensioners for the timing chain are lubricated by the engine oil. You MUST be positively religious about changing the oil every 3,000 miles and never let it get low. If you do, the tensioners will last quite nicely. If you don't, you will have problems. Those problems will lead to timing chain failure. Spell that "expensive".

You are better off forgetting about synthetic oil with longer oil changes and doing less expensive oil changes regularly on this particular engine.

Emily

http://www.ccrengines.com

Should be a solid vehicle. Some had an a/c issue which was relatively simple fix I think with the a/c compressor rotation/speed sensor or something.

Some of these have had failure of the accessory serpentine belt tensionser (that drives the a/c compressor, ps pump, alternator), so I would look at it and maybe just replace it now.

Oh and like any AWD soob check for torque bind and make sure all tires match. Might want to make sure it doesn't take too long to engage into drive when cold as well, though that was more a 99-00 issue.

There is one thing you should know. I got this info from a guy I totally trust at GO Subaru here in Denver.

The tensioners for the timing chain are lubricated by the engine oil. You MUST be positively religious about changing the oil every 3,000 miles and never let it get low. If you do, the tensioners will last quite nicely. If you don't, you will have problems. Those problems will lead to timing chain failure. Spell that "expensive".

You are better off forgetting about synthetic oil with longer oil changes and doing less expensive oil changes regularly on this particular engine.

Emily

The H6 holds like 6 quarts or so, I think? With a 7500 recc. interval (on all the engines)

Just bought a '03 BBW LLB H6 with 55Kmiles, asked the dlr and they *said* they'd do the 60K service...

Only have about 1500 miles on it, the only warnings on it I got through research was that the gas mileage would not be stellar, and the mileage and performance would suffer using 87 octane gas. I have not achieved 25mpg on 93 octane, almost all freeway 75-80 mph driving.

Dave

The H6 holds like 6 quarts or so, I think? With a 7500 recc. interval (on all the engines)

Just bought a '03 BBW LLB H6 with 55Kmiles, asked the dlr and they *said* they'd do the 60K service...

Only have about 1500 miles on it, the only warnings on it I got through research was that the gas mileage would not be stellar, and the mileage and performance would suffer using 87 octane gas. I have not achieved 25mpg on 93 octane, almost all freeway 75-80 mph driving.

Dave

I've had one of these for about a year. Bought it with about 148k miles on it. This car is great on the highway--mpg should be >25 miles per gallon. Ditto on all the other comments. Be sure to check that serpentine belt--my tensioner broke and could have left me stranded. Maybe the serpentine tensioner pulley bearing can be lubed or replaced. If not, be sure your local dealer has it in stock. Wish I could have found an LLB with less than 60K miles on it !!! Good luck on a great deal.

(I know about the HG recall issue with the "additive" in the rad fluid)
as someone pointed out, that's not the case with this motor. that is only true of the EJ25 2.5 liter engine. if i were buying a 2001 subaru and paying market value for it, this is the motor i would get.

Emily

your description above for the subarus(6cyl) also applies for many chrysler cars having the same oil lubricated timing belt tensioners..strict and often oil changes are needed to maintain those pulleys